Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : the truth about 2nd commandment

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vasilef

ROMANIA

the truth about 2nd commandment

I've heard and read in many places that the Catholic church removed the second commandment and made two commandments from the last one.

The articles I found referred to Catholic Baltimore Catechism. I've looked in it but the second commandment hasn't been removed. It is just included in the first commandment, but it's there.

Quote:
In the Protestant tradition, the first commandment is "You shall have no other gods before Me" and the second is "You shall not make any graven image." The Catholic tradition includes the "graven image" line as part of the first commandment; it is not omitted at all. The second commandment then becomes "You shall not take the name of thy Lord thy God in vain", which is the Protestant 3rd commandment.

Now, what the truth is? Was it removed and included only later? Was it there all the time? :-o

2006/9/19 3:26Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: the truth about 2nd commandment

Having never read it, or known about it until now, all I can say is, I have no idea!

However, all I know is, it is there in the word of God, so let's just obey it.

God bless.

2006/9/19 8:50Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: the truth about 2nd commandment

I did a little research on this, and this is true. The Douay Rheims has changed the following (from the AV):

"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them"

to:

"Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them"

Not to open up a can of worms, but rather to give deeper truth, the Latin Vulgate, which has been the Bible that the Roman church has leaned on in centuries past and today as well, has the Latin word "adorabis." The Hebrew word "Shachah," however, is the original word, which was translated: bow down, worship, crouch, stoop, reverance, fell down, or obeisance.

Here are the first two commandments according to Catholic teaching:

1. I am the Lord, your God. You shall have no other gods besides Me.

2. You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.

...and the last two:

9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.

After studying much on the Catholic teachings, I would recommend to search for truth, but remember that all the commandments of how we are to treat our fellow man apply to how we should treat Catholics. I did so much reading and research on the Roman teachings that I spiritually isolated myself from Catholics. I got suspicious of neighbors, etc.

As a rule of thumb, I try to speak to lost people the same regardless of their beliefs. We should speak to Catholics as we would have wanted someone to speak to us when we were lost.

I don't think I have ever heard of any getting converted because someone was impressed with a Christian's knowledge of another teaching, but at the same time, just speak the truth, always in love, "pulling them from the fire."

2006/9/19 21:35Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re:

Great research. Thank you very much!

But where did you get this from?

Quote:
Here are the first two commandments according to Catholic teaching:

1. I am the Lord, your God. You shall have no other gods besides Me.

2. You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.

...and the last two:

9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.

I looked in some online catholic catechism and it was about the same as in AV.
Please let me know where have you found these verses?

May God help me to:

Quote:
just speak the truth, always in love, "pulling them from the fire."

2006/9/20 1:26Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy