SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Tree of Life and Water

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HeartSong

The Tree of Life and Water

I am new here - Does anyone know where I can find clarification on the Tree of Life and Water?
Below are some of the pieces - I am sorry I can't be clearer on the question but I am not sure what to ask.

"And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." Gen 1:2b
"And a river went out of Eden to water the garden;" Gen 10a
". . . and now lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever . . .he drove out man to keep the way of the tree of life." Gen 3:22-24
(Adam could eat of the tree of life in the Garden of Eden before the Fall?)

"And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life . . ." Rev 22:1-2

Water calms our souls - it moves our heart - every living thing requires water - water cleanses - it reflects light (but not darkness) - the flood - it refracts light (rainbow) - etc.

Anyway, there are many pieces to this and He hasn't made it clear to me yet.

Thank you for your help.

2006/9/16 15:01Profile
Dougmore

Re: The Tree of Life and Water

Hi HeartSong,

I will give this one my best shot.

First, I think we don't need these verses for they are not related to the "tree of life" and the "water of life". Rather they are speaking of geographical locations.

Quote:
"And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." Gen 1:2b "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden;" Gen 10a

Now focusing in on your first question,

Quote:
(Adam could eat of the tree of life in the Garden of Eden before the Fall?)

I believe that Adam and Eve both ate of that tree. Man was created to live forever and eating the fruit of that tree was how it worked. Death is not at all natural to humans. We find in Gen. 3:19 "...till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
Verse 22 would seem to contradict that they ate of the tree but I think it fits in perfect... "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of Us, to know good and evil: and now lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever." For man to sustain life everlasting in that created state he had to eat the fruit of the tree of life. But God did not allow us to live forever in a sinful fallen state. I cant even imagine the evils we would have done. Hence God threw them out of the garden. Gods judgement was what He knew was best for His creation.
Now all this was for our existence then. After we fell we changed. Our physical and spiritual being changed.

But Revelation 22:1-2 apply's to believers after we have our new resurrection bodies (1Cor.15:35-58). So we can partake of the tree.

As for the water, I'm reminded of Jesus' words to the woman at the well, "...I f thouknewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith thee, give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water." And again, "..."Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14). I believe that these two "waters" are closely related in that both give life.

Back in Rev.22:1 its interesting to me that both the tree of life and the waters of life are present together. There is probably much symbolism to these two things but I'm not familiar with it.

Hope that helps you, Doug

2006/9/16 16:27Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Thank you Doug!

Quote:
For man to sustain life everlasting in that created state he had to eat the fruit of the tree of life.

So, God is the sustainer of the world at it's "essence" (time within eternity - simply it would "fall apart" without His constant touch) but He has built in other visual things for our sustinance, probably as a contant reminder of His presence. ie. daily Manna, partake of His Word daily. And that is problably why Rev 22:2 talks of monthly fruit (this means we will always need his continual "visual" sustinance - even after we are glorified)?
Quote:
"..."Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14).

I was just listening to a Tozer sermon (on John - Lesson 26 I think) and he said something on the order of the Spirit through all things as living water - which would make sense since Rev 22:1 talks of the water proceeding out of both the throne of God and of the Lamb - which would mean that it is the Spirit within us that is reacting to visual and audible water? He is reacting to Himself?

2006/9/16 17:10Profile
andres

texas,brownsville

Re: the flaming sword that guards salvation

And just to take the tree of life on step further. God did kick out of the Garden Adam and eve because he did not want them to eat of the tree of life (gen 3 .22)” lest he put forth his hand and take of the tree of life and eat and live for ever.” And that is why God put a flaming sword around the tree., to guard it from man who would want to TAKE salvation (eternal life) his own way..

And now if I may take it one step further. If Jesus is eternal life “(1john 5:12) God has given us eternal life and this life is in His Son” How much more will God guard his Son from men who would try to take Jesus by force!! God gives us eternal life; no man has the right to take salvation from him. And this is the problem, to many people take salvation (JESUS) as if it were up to them to decide.. (John 1:12-13) “ But to
As many RECEIVED HIM, to them HE gave the power to be sons of God, even to them that believe in His name: who were not born , not of blood ( family, generations) nor of the will of flesh( You deciding to become a Christian) nor by the will of man ( example “ say this prayer and you will have eternal life” ) but of GOD.” God gives us eternal life and no man can just take it like some common thief. It has got to be God’s choice to let a sinner partake of His Son’s life, suffering, death and resurrection. and i feel that God guards His son from those who because of selfish motives would try steal salvation that is in His son Christ Jesus.

2006/9/16 20:30Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Everyone, Thank you for your consideration on this subject. Thankfully God gave me some of the answer - and it has opened a door.

Here on Sermon Index there is an audio series by Zac Poonen - (the power of the Holy Spirit) 2 of 4 is "Rivers of Living Water".

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=157&min=200&orderby=titleA&show=20

Now I see all manifestations of water as the touch of Holy Spirit - EVERYWHERE! - All of the visual and audible BEAUTY and COMFORT and CLEANSING in this sin infested world - only visible with LIGHT - but still heard and felt (known) even in darkeness.

Praise the LORD, Oh my soul!

2006/9/28 22:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy