Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : George Mueller's Secret

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
But Mueller understood that the motives of his heart which fueled this particular prayer may not have been of God. So, what does the man do? He examines his heart, and asks God to take the whole thing away if it is not His will.

Yes, [i]every[/i] thought must be brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. Whether it's a good thought or a bad one, it doesn't matter, it must conform to the will of God. This is why Mueller stressed that the first step in determining God's will in a matter was to get his own heart in such a state that it has no will of it's own in regards to the matter. He said that nine-tenths of the difficulty is overcome when when our hearts are ready to do God's will, whatever it may be.

I have found this difficulty very true in my own life. So often I come before the Lord and sort of presume to instruct Him on what needs to be done and how it should be done instead of quietly settling my heart to seek His will alone.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/9/16 20:24Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

paul's quote
"As of recently, something inside of me just wants to utterly disappear for Jesus, to vanish from all mainstream applause and commendations, and to just be known only by God and by those beloved poor souls whom He has put in my temporal care. Oh Lord, intensify this longing until the cord of self-preservation is finally severed and my whole being is utterly and unreservedly put aside to your sovereign disposal."

amen! same here! a beautiful holy desire from above. yes, Lord, intensify this longing in us! for surely you will answer this prayer. for such a desire as this will give You the upmost glory!

paul's quote
"Saints, certainly caring for an orphan house is a good thing, a noble deed that is pure and close to the very heart of God (see James 1:27). But Mueller understood that the motives of his heart which fueled this particular prayer may not have been of God. So, what does the man do? He examines his heart, and asks God to take the whole thing away if it is not His will. Notice, he prays that God adjust his prayer and grant him understanding as to the real motive behind his supplications. Men cannot understand the deceit of their own hearts, even in times of virtuous prayer. We need God to lay bare and expose false assumptions and erroneous motives for even the righteous and scriptural causes in our God-given ministries."

ron's quote
"Yes, every thought must be brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. Whether it's a good thought or a bad one, it doesn't matter, it must conform to the will of God. This is why Mueller stressed that the first step in determining God's will in a matter was to get his own heart in such a state that it has no will of it's own in regards to the matter. He said that nine-tenths of the difficulty is overcome when when our hearts are ready to do God's will, whatever it may be."

amen!

2006/9/16 23:22Profile

Re: George Mueller's Secret

Practicle christianity! These are men who got things done. This is how we will get things done. everyone should read this and be reminded of the simple yet totally fullproof ways of God.

2006/9/17 1:24
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
"I have been praying every day this week concerning the orphan house, entreating the Lord to take away every thought of the matter if it is not of Him. After repeatedly examining the motives of my heart, I am convinced that it is of God."

Has there ever been more theology packed into one statement...

2006/9/17 10:55Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Saints, here is another classic example of a day in the life of George Mueller:

February 5, 1842

"We have only received as much as needed to provide for the orphans [i]each day[/i], and there again is great need. Now, at twelve o'clock, no means exist - as yet - to meet the expenses for today. The words of the prayer of Jehoshaphat in 2 Chronicles 20:12, "Neither know we what to do, but our eyes are upon thee," are at this moment the language of my heart. I likewise do not know what to do, [i]but my eyes are upon the Lord. [/i] I am sure that he will help us this day also.

[i](evening entry)[/i] One pound ten shillings came in through the sale of some articles. We were able to supply all that was needed for today."

Saints, notice that Mueller, in both cases, receives provision from the Lord "only for the day". It is a habit of God to do this, to supply manna sufficient for the day thereof. I have seen this perpetuated both in my life, and lives of other dear saints. This favorable method of constantly waiting upon God cultivates great faith in his children, and quickly abolishes any prideful seed of self-sufficiency that may germinate in the heart of the minister. Oh, to wait each day upon God, and see his divine glory manifest! It is only until we surrender our worldy understandings and modes of self-preservation, that we can see the miraculous power of God displayed fully in our lives.

Consider this verse:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). I believe this verse falls nicely in line with this post. May we learn to die to worldly logic, and trust and obey God for all our unseen needs, both spiritually and physically. Saints, if we empty ourselves of all our crafting independance and restless strivings and resolve to wait entirely upon Him, we will see the faithful provision of a sovereign Father manifest in our lives.

O Lord, teach me your ways, teach me to die! Father, allow my surrendered life to be as a memorial to your everlasting honor before all the skeptics and heathen of the world! Let your gracious acting in my yielded life bear testimony to those without that you alone are God, the only true and Living God that is able to bless and give life.

Brother Paul

2006/9/17 20:25Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Quote:
"I have been praying every day this week concerning the orphan house, entreating the Lord to take away every thought of the matter if it is not of Him. After repeatedly examining the motives of my heart, I am convinced that it is of God."

Quote:
Has there ever been more theology packed into one statement...

I have recently been reading for the first time, Rees Howells [i]Intercessor[/i] by Norman Grubb and today I came across this passage and when I did my mind was brought back to this thread and these qoutes in particular.

Here is the passage, from page 104

"The vital question was: What was God's will? Even though an intercession had been gained, the Lord's will must be revealed in each case; and in this one [i]the very fact that he wanted her to live could sway his judgment[/i]. [b]Only the impartial can find God's will[/b], as the Savior said in John 5:30."

[b][i]Only the impartial can find God's will[/b][/i]

[b][color=660033] I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.[/color][/b]

If you've read the book this hearkens back to the question on pages 44-45: how can self be willing to give up self?

2006/10/3 21:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy