SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I have a question needing insight

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

I like how O.Chambers puts it: "God never sends revival, He sends Himself".

Sounds right to me. :-D

2006/9/16 15:57
mamaluk

Re:

"the most awful aspect of hell is that God is never there"

wow, never looked at it this way, hm..sobering..
sounds foolish i know, but i'd often focused on just the fear of the hellishness of hell

i take for granted so often of God's glory and love and beauty, without even pondering over His total absence !

2006/9/16 18:14Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
I like how O.Chambers puts it: "God never sends revival, He sends Himself".

Amen!!! At this moment, to me, God's presence in the midst of His congregation definitely ignites a true revival...Brokenness, weeping over sins and a selfish lifestyle, etc...When the Lord appears then syes are opened...people are cut to the heart...instead of Christians living for themselves, they start to live for their Savior, loving their neighbors, brothers and sisters...they live for the Lord, and delight in doing so. I really, really believe what happened in Acts 2:37-47 should be happening here in the west. I don't see it, but I believe it should be like this...I think this is pleasing unto the Lord, and I believe I am here to please Him. If some begin to be caught up in the things of the Lord which last forever, instead of the things of the world which will pass away, surely the Lord will delight in this...No? He is a jealous God, desiring a spotless bride. Oh, what a humbling honor to be invited to this great wedding...Many are called, but few are chosen.
Anyway, when another great manifestation of God's presence begins to spread again, here, in the midst of His people, in the West, can not only sin grieve such a thing?
My life is pretty simple, but I'm going to start simplifying it even more. God help me...
The Lord bless you all with Himself,
richie
PS. Thankyou all for your comments...May God show us all what He desires, and by His grace may we act accordingly :-)

2006/9/16 20:29Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Through the years, the descriptive language used to portray revival has been very broad and instructive. Please consider some of the names and nomenclature used by our fathers and brothers to describe this precious work. Let me group the more than sixty titles I am aware of under sixteen headings.[/i]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=3162]Revival Terminology in History [/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=107]Richard Owen Roberts [/url]

Wow!!! :-D
Just beginning to read some of the writings by Richard Owen Roberts. Thankyou sooo much for your help Sir.
May God continually bless you...
An undeserving brother,
richie

2006/9/17 5:53Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Seems to me, the word 'revival' itself seems to carry a touch of religious sensationalism to it

I think this is more true your side of the pond! We have had very little of the 'revivalist' in the UK. The classic concept of revival as used by the leaders of this site is of the nature of profound God-consciousness which causes men and women to cry to God for mercy until they have the witness that God has heard them. This is the kind of 'revival' witnessed by Wesley and Whitefield and Finney and the move of 1859 and 1904.

It is customary to say that only 'vived' people can be 're-vived' (ie that only people who have once known 'life' can be revived) but this is really playing with words. The word 'revival' is not found in the KJV although various forms of the English verb are to be found there: Gen 45:27; Judg 15:19; 1Kings 17:22; 2Kings 13:21; Ezra 9:8-9; Neh 4:2; Psa 85:6; 138:7; Is 57:15; Hos 6:2; 14:7; Hab 3:2; Rom 7:9; 14:9

'revival' is a term coined to explain/describe times of peculiar God-consciousness which affect both saint and sinner. I am not arguing that we ought not to use the word but just that we can't use the word to describe the phenomena and then define the phenomena by the dictionary definition of the word; that is a confusing circular argument.

There is a New Testament expression which captures my idea of authentic classical revival...“Repent ye therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that so there may come [u]seasons of refreshing[/u] from the presence of the Lord;”
(Acts 3:19 ASV)Now do the times of refreshing bring the sinners to repentance or does the repentance of the sinner open the way to times of refreshing? ;-)

2006/9/20 18:25Profile
mamaluk

Re:

"Now do the times of refreshing bring the sinners to repentance or does the repentance of the sinner open the way to times of refreshing? "

The former ! Ron, the former!

SOLA GRATIA , sola gratia !! :)

2006/9/20 18:33Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Now do the times of refreshing bring the sinners to repentance or does the repentance of the sinner open the way to times of refreshing?

Man's response to God's prevenient grace gets the process started, I think. No flesh will glory in His presence. Ravenhill once said that God's first issue with man is not that he/she is bad but they are 'dead' in trespasses and sins. I would argue that God's first issue with man is that they do [i]always resist the Holy Ghost, as your fathers did so do ye[/i] (type thing). When man becomes 'aware' of God, they resist Him.

“Repent ye therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that so there may come seasons of refreshing from the presence of the Lord;”
(Acts 3:19 ASV)

When I read this passage I am hearing, "change your mind and turn around or turn to God." I sometimes use the illustration of going some place and on the way changing my mind and turning around. This sometimes happens because the desire to go is not sufficient to make the sacrifice required to take the journey. Other times I may feel it is dangerous to go. Or maybe I get an idea of some place I would rather go. How ever it plays out, as soon as my mind changes I'm looking for a place to turn my car around. I have had to turn my car aound because of inclement weather, etc.

But when we are in need of revival we have to in some sense 'come to ourselves'. One has to see that they are drifting away from God in terms of their relationship with Him and that other things have come in to supplant our affection for Him. Once the saints get 'revived' they are in position to boldly proclaim the Gospel. I think of Acts 2 and how the 'witnesses' had seen many things but without the power of the indwelling Spirit they were timid and could not rightly 'testify' of what they had seen and heard. They received about 40 days of instruction and fellowship and had 10 left to seek the Lord and wait for Pentecost.

For me, the question is, what are those '10 Days' about? The disciples had 'seen and heard' many things. They had been eyewitnesses of His majesty. But they lacked something. They had 40 days to get their theology strait and line out the whole Gospel message from OT prophecies. Peter had been restored by our Lord and given the job, 'Feed My sheep.' But they were still lacking something. The infighting was still there I guess as Peter asked the Lord, "What about John?"

Ten days, ten days, what about those ten days?

2006/9/21 8:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: I have a question needing insight

richie,

I did not carefully read all the posts on this thread, so excuse me if I am repeating a thought shared....

Quote:
However, my question is, if this is so, why do revivals seem to die out? I don't believe that this is the will of God.

To answer your question, let me ask you one: have you ever become lukewarm? Why did it happen? and now multiply that by any number of people involved in a revival and I think you will have your answer.

Am I brutal? Perhaps. But the reality is when things start going well for us, we become lax in our time with the LORD and quickly lukewarmness sets in and soon other things replace our love for things of God: like his Word, enjoying God's presense; obedience becomes a matter of debate because logic rears its head...

Make sense?

In case you have not noticed I am speaking from experience.... :-x

ginnyrose

2006/9/21 15:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy