SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Feasts and the 'foreshadows' of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lovegrace

Feasts and the 'foreshadows' of Christ

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good book on the Feasts and any foreshadowing events of Christ and the year of jubelee.

I would like to fully understand each of the feasts and many Jewish roots. Anyone got any suggestions on 1 to 3 books on this??? (I'm looking for SOLID books please)

2006/9/14 22:52Profile
TrueWitness

Re: Feasts and the 'foreshadows' of Christ

http://www.amazon.com/Thus-Shalt-Thou-Serve-Offerings/dp/0875085997/sr=1-2/qid=1158293059/

2006/9/15 0:09Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

The Brethren classics on this theme were Soltau and Vine. Both authors come up in the UK ebay lists from time to time.

Edersheim is also worth reading as he will link New Testament truth to his extensive knowledge of Rabbinic teaching. His [url=http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edersheim/temple.html]The Temple: its Ministry and Services[/url] is freely available on ccel, as is [url=http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edersheim/lifetimes.html]The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah.[/url] I don't think these books will ever be bettered for information although you may not agree with all his conclusions.

There is a simple overview of [url=http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Introduction/introduction.html]The Feasts of Israel[/url] here, and if you 'google' the words "Israel feasts", without the quotation makes, you will find a veritable jungle of ideas! :-D

2006/9/15 8:57Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
if you 'google' the words "Israel feasts", without the quotation makes, you will find a veritable jungle of ideas! :-D

I try to avoid that. I like reading things that others have already tested (which I will test as well) because I've heard some crazy stuff.

I like that link you gave though. But I'd like 'more indepth' coverage (I think thats the word) of each of the feasts.

2006/9/15 9:18Profile
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

[i]The Feasts of the Lord[/i] by Kevin Howard and Marvin Rosenthal. ISBN 0-7852-7518-5 (Thomas Nelson Publishers).

Written with Christian and Jewish audiences in mind. [i]The Feasts of the Lord[/i] takes the reader through all the holy days of Israel. These ancient celebrations come alive as they are enhanced with over one hundred and fifty full-color charts, photographs and paintings. As the history of the Judean holy days is revealed, the Jewish customs that serve as the most foundational facts of Christianity are brought to light. (From the inside flap of the cover page).

This book has been a very valuable resource to me and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in understanding God's prophetic calendar from Calvary to the Kingdom as seen in the feasts.

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/9/15 11:19Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Wow that sounds great!!! THanks!

2006/9/15 11:36Profile
Dougmore

Hi lovegrace,

A book that I read about the feasts that showed there historical aspect and there "possible" application to today was, "Gods Appointed Times" by Barney Kasdan. The book was really good and was easy to understand.

But do be on guard. Many books written on this subject have Messianic teachings. As this one does. If your not careful you could get caught up in the ritualism.

I don't know if you saw my post or not but it has a good web site link to Khouse. See, Rosh Hashanah

Oh yea, this is the ISBN: 1-880226-54-5.

bro Doug

2006/9/15 19:53Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

Dougmore wrote:
But do be on guard. Many books written on this subject have Messianic teachings. As this one does. If your not careful you could get caught up in the ritualism.

Funny thing I almost got caught into that but with God's leading I didn't. Thanks for the warning.

I'm simply looking for the roots. To have a deeper understanding of the foreshadowings of Christ and the year of jubilee. (Not concerned about the 'messianic prophesies' but more into the feasts and rituals that the Jews performed that foreshadowed the future)

2006/9/16 12:23Profile
lovegrace

Woooo wooo, wait now. I just read this. Is this why Catholics pray for/to the dead?

Prayers for those who have died

Quote:
In the morning, the Shaharit begins the day. It is similar to other morning services but includes additional poems, known as piyutim. Next is the Yizkor, a memorial prayer for those whose parents have died. Those with parents still living leave the main sanctuary while it is being said. The Musaf is the longest service of the year. It contains two parts: one which recounts the temple service, and the second describes the ten Jewish wise men tortured to death by the Romans.

I found that referring to Yom Kippur. (Sp?)[url=http://www.infoplease.com/spot/yomkippur1.html]The link[/url]

2006/9/16 21:26Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Not to change the subject, but a while back I read an interesting book on shoadow's of the Messiah called "The Tabernacle". It is written by David M. Levy. Someone interested in figures, patterns, shadows, types etc. would find this book to be very interesting. The book covers in a concise way the tabernacle and its furnishings, the sacrificial system and offerings, The priesthood service with Christ's supperior priesthood to being consecrated to the Lord ourself.

I was blessed reading this book. It has a lot in it for only having a little over 200 pages.

In Christ,
GaryE

2006/9/16 21:45Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy