Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Street Preaching Incident

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Street Preaching Incident

Dear Friends,
I have been tremendously blessed by your posts. I wish to share an incident on one of the busiest streets of Melbourne one night as I was Preaching. I must say I do this rarely and when I do I do it as loudly as possible. I do it loundly because of the trams and other vehicles make lots of noise and its not easy to hear.
Anyways this is what happened. A man came right infront of my face. Look extreemly stressed and ask me to lower my volume. I was scared I thought he was going to punch me. He walked away and I was still scared, I continued to speak in a low tone and then my voice immediately shot up again I could not control it. He walked back to me again and said that I was very rude! Did I bring irrepute to the cause of Christ ?
Honesty is the best Policy !
Thanks
Joe

2006/9/13 22:14Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Street Preaching Incident

You can't always do what sinners tell you to do when preaching the Gospel, or you won't ever preach it. When I am confronted by managers and such, I usually move a little farther away. Most of the time you can comprimise with them by just moving a little farther away from them.

I've had numberous people tell me to be quiet when preaching the Gospel. I say, "No, Sir. I can't do that. God has commanded me to preach and I must do that."

My response to that man would probably have been something along the lines of "Sir, It would be rude to let people go to Hell without warning them."

You can't be just utterly rude to people, but you must remain firm.

2006/9/13 23:15Profile

Re:

One night while preaching about 25"from the entrance to a bar,standing on a step ladder with a "dead" man under a sheet in front of me. Not blocking any walkway areaon a public sidewalk, basically all leagal basis covered. Well the owner of the bar comes out looking very tough and intimidationg comes up to me and tells me to get down form the stool and stop preaching. I told him no I can't do that and went on preaching.He yelled at me "your going to jail!" and went back into his bar to call the police.
to shorten the story I had a great convo with the police ending in the police telling the man I had every right to do what I was doing. The next time I went and preached at that bar one of the security guys came out to challenge me. The bartender came out a minute later and grabbed him and said let it go.Barteneder then looked at me and smiled and said how ya doing brother? I said fine and kept preaching.
Sometime's, not all the time, things can go pretty well when we stand firm and confident in what we are doing. God bless, John

2006/9/13 23:58

Re:

Great to hear about your preaching!!

I suppose it is honestly possible you were too loud. But I don't know.

Sometimes people will tell you that just so you would stop and so others won't hear you.

I always look for a location that is not near any bussiness, for this very reason. That way, nobody can make complains like that.

Volume control is hard to learn as well. I used to preach VERY loudly. Now, I typically use a little bit higher then talking volume. But that's just me.

God bless you in your labors for Him!!

2006/9/14 0:05
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

Thanks ... I was loud. I clearly remember looking at the tram and thinking I wanted my voice to be louder than this. My question is when in street preaching can one bring grieve to the Holy Spirit ? Thanks Jesse cool site I am checking out your material.

Joe

2006/9/14 0:32Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
My question is when in street preaching can one bring grieve to the Holy Spirit ?

When you begin to have wrong motives such as preaching just for a "rush."

2006/9/15 18:53Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Street Preaching Incident

Quote:

joeSOC wrote:
Anyways this is what happened. A man came right infront of my face. Look extreemly stressed and ask me to lower my volume. I was scared I thought he was going to punch me. He walked away and I was still scared, I continued to speak in a low tone and then my voice immediately shot up again I could not control it. He walked back to me again and said that I was very rude! Did I bring irrepute to the cause of Christ?

I once had a lady approach me in the middle of an open air sermon and said, "Excuse me, I don't think that it's right that you are shoving your religion down peoples throat." I thanked her, and turned to the crowd and screamed (yes, I tend to scream), "This lady over here feels that it is wrong of me to preach my beliefs out here tonight, but I would lie to consider this, if I honestly believed that we are all headed for our day in court before God, standing guilty and bound for hell (I had already reasoned using the Law the exceeding sinfulness, so this wasn't 'fire and brimstone' preacvhing) and didn't warn you about it, what would that say about me? I would be irresponsale at best, and a monster at worst. I would effectively be telling you all to 'Go to Hell' with my silence."

I then went on to compare my preaching with a firefighter running into a burning building nd not wispering, "Come now, on get up", and then went on to compare it with going to a 'legal aid' lawyer so you know the right thing to do in court. I tell you what, I have had some pretty mean haggelers before, but not that night. People can generally tell whether you are being sincere or not. Sure you'll upset so people doing open air, but that's okay it will draw a crowd. As long as you are prayed up, respect the people you are addressing, and are concerned for their souls and God's glory, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

I'm by no means a "seasoned veteren", having only gotten up about four or five times, but I've had many agree with these statements. Keep it up, Joe and take God's advice to Jeremiah, Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD." (Jer 1:8)

2006/9/20 6:30Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
Quote:
My question is when in street preaching can one bring grieve to the Holy Spirit ?

When you begin to have wrong motives such as preaching just for a "rush."

Wow...Way to put it down in a few words.:-)

2006/9/20 6:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy