SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Let there be light". What does that mean?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Santana

"Let there be light". What does that mean?

I’m almost embarrassed to ask this question for the answer might be so easy and I don’t see it.

What is God referring to as the light in Genesis 1:3 - And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

We know it’s not the sun, moon or stars because they came on the fouth day. Genesis 1:16 - And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Can someone explain this to me backed up by scripture? :-)

2006/9/11 17:22Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: "Let there be light". What does that mean?

Space did not exist before Gen 1:1. Neither did time or matter. They all three were brought into being simultaneously:

TIME - In the beginning
SPACE - God created the heaven
MATTER - and the earth

These three do not include light or darkness. When the Scripture says "Let there be," God was creating something from nothing. So light itself was actually created at that point. God wasn't placing or directing a previously made light, but bringing light into being.

INTERESTING: The universe was created in a single spoken sentence. UNI - means one, VERSE - single spoken sentence. The universe was created in a single spoken sentence. God said, "Let there be."

All this can be referenced in Kent Hovind's material which can be accessed on this site. His goes in detail on probably every verse in the early books of Genesis in his seminar. He will also come to your church if you ask him.

2006/9/12 23:00Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re: "Let there be light". What does that mean?

I don't think scripture really says a whole lot beyond that. My speculation is that the photon was created but not yet a light-bearing source (ie stars). Without getting too "sciency", the massive amount of energy transfer going on at the initial creation and expansion of the universe would excite electrons and molecular bonds above their normal lowest-energy states, and as they quickly dropped back to stability, they emitted large quantities of light. To see a simple and kind of cool example of this, take a roll of clear adhesive (commonly known as "Scotch tape") into a completely darkened room, give your eyes an opportunity to adjust, then very rapidly start to peel it away. It will glow a greenish-blue. You can also do this by crushing Altoids with a hammer.

Just a guess.

2006/9/12 23:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy