SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Purpose Driven?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Walko

Brisbane, Australia

Purpose Driven?

[img]http://www.geocities.com/twowalkos/Lie.JPG[/img]

Thought some of you might find this one ammusing...

Have a look at this as well --> [url=http://www.sacredsandwich.com/warren_scripture.htm]A commentory on Rick Warren's Use of scripture[/url]

Walko

2006/9/10 20:46Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Purpose Driven?

That is pretty funny.

I have never felt like God was drawing me to this series. I avoided it when our church did it. I don't make a big deal about it, but when I see every church grab onto something so fast, and there are still no visible results in the community or the church months/years after, for the most part, something tells me it is a big money-maker for someone.

Giving Warren the benefit of the doubt, I think the best case scenario is that he isn't scholarly, doesn't want to be, but wants to promote God as best he can, without focusing on sin, law, righteousness, judgement, repentance and hell (the 7 no-no's of 'do you want to make sure you make lots of money into today's Christian market').

So I think when one says 'all Bibles are fine,' you run into problems. As well, when one says, 'all teaching is fine,' when Jesus specifically told the Pharisees that they promoted the matters of the law that should not be focused on, but rather should have focused on 'judgment, mercy, and faith.' The problem is, now people teach mercy and faith with no judgment.

I read about one chapter of the book, and was pretty much bored, but here is my guess, someone tell me I am wrong, please:

His book has little or nothing on:

hell
genuine repentance, and the preaching thereof
future punishment
the Judgment Seat of Christ
dying to self
being filled with the Holy Ghost
sin and how it hinders the Christian walk
laziness of the modern church
persecution for being Christ-like
travailing/intercessory/importunate prayer
false teachers/prophets
etc, etc, etc

2006/9/11 0:17Profile
Walko

Brisbane, Australia

Re:

The thing that really bites me about his materials is the thorough lack of hermeneutics. He chooses passages that justify his ideas and when he can’t find one in a literal translation he chooses a paraphrase that does cover it. Many of his uses of scripture are out of context, only partially there (ie uses half a verse) or just plain heretical (ie a paraphrase is the only version that conveys what he is trying to say). If you want a good source to discredit the Message look at [url=http://www.crossroad.to/Bible_studies/Message.html]What kind of message is 'The Message'?[/url]

It disturbs me that so many churches are using this stuff. I read purpose driven life with our church and although I agree with his 5 purposes (pretty much), the majority of the rest of the teaching stinks. It is all about life enhancement and prosperity with more of a basis in modern philosophy and the new age than the Word of God. I only got about 5 days through the follow up series 40 days of Community (the book ‘Better Together’) In day 5 he gives a ‘call to become a Christian’ and completely leaves out 95% of the message. At this point I moved the book from the Christian section of my bookshelf to the same section as the Koran, the Book of Mormon and my other books on other religions.

We need to fight these heresies in the church but we also need to be careful how we fight them. If we go in guns blazing, we won’t achieve much but if we go in carefully we can bring our brothers and sisters around.

Andrew

2006/9/11 1:22Profile

Who ever wrote the commentary could stand alittle rectification from the scripture, as well.

:-(

2006/9/11 9:35
enid

Nottingham, England

Amusing? It's hilarious! Someone bought me the book. Took two years to read 22 chapters. Still haven't read the rest. Don't intend to.

God bless.

2006/9/11 12:05Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Love it! Thought about reading after a lukewarm co-worker and his church were reading it. Thought it would get me into some interesting conversations. Purchased it at Wal-Mart and returned it the same week without reading. In the end I thought, "What in the world am I doing reading the next new 'Christian' best-seller?" Not too far from "What on Earth am I reading this for?" I've heard of people who thought it was good. Most have said not worth the paper it's printed on.

They ought to put a label on these things:
"WARNING: I CASE YOUR SPENDING MORE TIME ON THIS TRASH INSTEAD OF GODS WORD--REPENT!"

2006/9/11 12:14Profile
bereangirl

Toronto, Canada

That's funny, frightening and sad all at the same time.

I haven't read it myself becuase I just can't get past the word "driven". Something repells me. A friend of mine made the comment that if this book is of the Lord why use a word like driven? We are lead, not driven.

On the other hand, I have friends who really were encouraged by the book.

But, something doesn't sit right with me on it and I find the comments from others seem to reflect the same thing.

Bereangirl

2006/9/11 20:25Profile
Jacob19

Re:

My whole problem with it is that if they have sold so many copies of it, and they sell it at such random stores like staples, where is the Revival. If so many people were encountered with the Gospel, wouldn't we see the biggest Revival ever?

2006/9/11 20:54Profile
River-a

Germany

Re:

I think that what all you have to say is very interesting. Everyone has a point to make and everyone has a truth to what they say, just as Rick Warren. True, some of the ways he does things and brings them over arent right, or true, but what I felt as I was reading the book was that the book was more for someone that is already a Christian and not for someone that has no clue what being a Christian was about. Every Christian knows that along with being a Christian will come persecution and hardships, along with judgement. But some Christians need to be built up in there faith by other means at the time. Some have pain in their lives and need to hear exactly what he had to say. Once a person is built up, he can then truly start the Christian life.

What most of you are saying, or at least what it sounds like, reminds me a lot of the story of Job. Job knew about judgement and punishment and all that stuff. What he needed was to be built up and not to here from his friends that he messed up and that 'he was going to hell' because he wasn't. He was a Christian and he knew about all that stuff.

A church needs to be built up and shown the goodness of God because I believe many people and churches in todays world have lost that. People dont truly understand Gods goodness anymore and are confused in their faith and with God.

As the books title says, 'The Purpose Driven Life,' not the judgement driven life. Our purpose on earth, is not to be judged. Our purpose is love, peace, fellowship, etc. All of which the book talks about.

First people have to understand those things like love, before they can begin to love. They have to understand their purpose, not there sin, or their judgement.
We all sin and most of the time we feel miserable for that. No one has to tell me that I need to be sorry for something that I feel miserable for. I already know that Im sorry! But what we dont always feel, is Gods love and we need to be shown that He is always there.

I think that is what most people missed as they were reading the book.

2006/9/12 8:03Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Yes indeed. Rick Warren and his "Purpose Driven" deception surely is fiction! He's nothing more than a modern day gnostic! Any man that will take the context of God's holy scriptures and twist them to fit their own agenda is nothing but a "wolf in sheep's clothing" as Christ himself said. God Bless yall!

The Evangelist ;-)

2006/9/14 1:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy