Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Superman

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Superman

I watched the trailer for the new superman film thinking, 'it would be ok for my kids to see, there's nothing wrong with Superman' however the trailer told me exactly what the film is about...

2 quotes from the website:

"The world doesn't need a saviour and neither do I" - Lois Lane

"They could be a great people Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all -their capacity for good- I have sent them you... my only son" - Jor-El (Supermans real dad)

A bit worrying, really :-o

Ste

2006/9/7 0:08Profile

Re: Superman

I agree with your concerns. God bless, John

2006/9/7 7:23
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Superman has always been a godless, blasphemous movie.

I only ever saw Superman 2 before I became a Christian. I wouldn't go to see this one or any other they might make.

Give the time and money to the things of God. The day of judgment is fast approaching. Let us not sleep, as it says in scripture.

I'd hate to be watching Superman when Jesus returns, or any other movie for that matter!

Sometimes it scares me, thinking about what I might be doing when Jesus comes, if I'm alive at the time.

Don't turn what I've said into another rapture debate, use the thread that is already there! God bless.

2006/9/7 9:56Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:
I'd hate to be watching Superman when Jesus returns

I will be watching superman when Jesus returns but I will be watching the "REAL" superman. :-)

2006/9/7 10:32Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Good one! Scripture says every eye shall see Him.

Let's keep looking. God bless.

2006/9/7 11:37Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I have noticed many similarities to the fallen angels of Gen 6 in the Superman movies, Lilo and Stitch, etc. It was actually one of the kids in my Sunday School class that brought up the similarities to Superman, after we were discussing how the Greek and Roman gods were most likely direct references to the 'giants in the earth in those days...mighty men...men of renown.'

It is very easy to see in mythology. Gods having children with earthly women, birthing beings on earth that were half-man, half-god that were extremely powerful and revered. Some were only able to be killed by extreme measures. It was this reference that made one of my kids bring up that Superman was exactly that. A super-being from the heavens that fell to the earth, with extraordinary powers, who gives no thought to any being above himself. He is the one to be adored, the savior of mankind. Yes, very humanistic.

I must say, though, that Superman or Spiderman don't make me wary half as much as the witchcraft stuff. Maybe it was different for you guys, but we had kids in high school, when witchcraft wasn't half as popular, that carried around the Book of the Dead, wore pentagrams, declared themselves Satanist, etc. I try not to sweat it, as it is all prophesied, but it is still disturbing to see the trend.

2006/9/8 22:27Profile
JennRich

Alabama

Re: Superman

One of the Superman movies (from the early 80's) even had the character Superman walking on the water. Does anyone remember this? It was like a purposeful jab at Christianity.

2006/9/8 23:50Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

JennRich

I remember the Superman movie you are talking about. It wasn't actually Superman himself who walked on water, it was a character by the name of General Zod.

In another scene in the movie, when the president is on his knees before General Zod, the president exclaims 'Oh, God!', to which General Zod replied, 'Not God, Zod'

Nothing but blasphemy.

2006/9/9 3:27Profile
roadsign

Re: Superman -

Quote:
"The world doesn't need a saviour and neither do I" - Lois Lane

"They could be a great people Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all -their capacity for good- I have sent them you... my only son" - Jor-El (Supermans real dad)

A bit worrying, really

I see it this way: a bit worry, yes, but a LOT opportunity!

A missionary, Don Richardson, shared in his book, “Peace Child” how he struggled for a long time to find a way to explain the gospel to a savage, primitive tribe in Iran Jirah. They were very resistant. Then one day he saw a tribe offer up a newborn child as a peace offering to a hostile neigboring tribe. That was exactly the analogy Don needed in order to share the gospel. And it worked. At last, many were saved. They understood the gospel because they UNDERSTOOD the analogy that had been built right into their culture.

Many years later that missionary wrote a book called, “Eternity in their Hearts”. He explains how there are spiritual analogies within every culture, and it is the responsibility of the Christian to discover them (with divine enlightenment), and use them to explain the gospel.

Superman has a lot to teach our hardened, rational, humanistic culture. There may be bad stuff in it, just as there are in the analogies of primitive cultures. But how tragic it is if we miss the opportunities to use a potentially helpful analogy in our own culture because we are so worried about the flaws. Weren’t the Pharisees like that? They were constantly missing redemptive opportunities.

Superman was true to his destiny. He was sent from another world. He looked quite ordinary most of the time but in the hour of need, he was there – right away! There’s an analogy! ……….But “Christ is not fictitious like Superman”….. (or however God would lead a conversation)

By the way, from reading these posts, it looks like the scriptwriters are trying hard to discount God, but their attempts seem like pathetic efforts. The darkened souls won't see through it and will buy it, but those who are thinking deeply just might ask some good questions.

Compare Superman to Batman (a rather sad figure). Now, there’s another opportunity to get people thinking.

Here is a challenging question for us all: What are we doing with all the “toys” strewn around in our culture. Are we missing opportunities because we have tunnel vision like the Pharisees, or do we recognize those very things that we find ourselves tripping over as golden opportunities?

Quote:
I will be watching superman when Jesus returns but I will be watching the "REAL" superman.

Amen, brother. That's a good response!

Diane

2006/9/9 8:49Profile

Re:

I do sometimes enjoy Christian symbolism and allegories (Chronicles of Narnia, etc.). I have read that there is quite a bit of Christian symbolism within the Superman movies. Still, I am sure the comparisons are weak and surrounded by sin. Pretty dangerous to compare our Lord in that way.

And just because it is interesting, here is Wikipedia on Superman and religion:

"Creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel were both Jewish, and while there are Jewish influences on the character Superman has never declared what religion he prescribes to, if any. His story mimics that of Moses as both characters are saved by their parents by being placed in a vessel to carry them to safety. Also, both characters were found by adults who adopt them as children. Both Moses and Superman later rise to prominence and do good.

Superman's origin also has similarities to that of Jesus Christ: both are sent by their fathers (Jor-El and God respectively) to Earth to help mankind. The comparison is especially apparent in The Death of Superman, in which Superman's body disappeared from his coffin, mirroring Jesus's resurrection. Additionally, some have hypothesized that the first initials of Superman's parents by adoption, Jonathan and Martha, are an allusion to Christ's earthly caregivers, Joseph and Mary. Other have noted that both Superman's Kryptonian name, Kal-El, and his fathers, Jor-El, are "Hebraic sounding", containing the word element EL often used to represent God in the Hebrew language. Many people have made much of these comparisons, though it is unknown how much Shuster and Siegel intended for people to read into them."

2006/9/9 14:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy