SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Prayer Quotes (comprehensive list)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Holy Spirit Helps![/b]

The cross and the Spirit are inseparable. The soul that understands that death to self is the gate to true life is ready to learn what and who the Holy Spirit is.
-Andrew Murray

Many Christians equate talking about the Holy Spirit with the present-day Charismatic movement, and thus shy away. But in so doing they cut themselves off from communing with the living God, for it is only through the Holy Spirit that we encounter and experience God, in real time. The Holy Spirit is quite literally the divine umbilical cord that connects us to God. It is through Him that God's divine love, joy, peace, presence and power are downloaded to us. To clamp Him off is to spiritually starve and die; left to walk in the flesh. Don't go off-line with God.
-Mark Calhoun

Jesus says the Father will give the Holy Spirit to His children if we ask Him for the Holy Spirit. I have heard Christians say, 'I don't need to ask for the Holy Spirit.' I must tell you that is not scriptural. Jesus was speaking to His disciples and said, 'Your Father will give you the Holy Spirit if you ask for it.' (Luke 11:13). Elsewhere Jesus said He would go to the Father and ask the Father to send the Holy Spirit to His disciples (John 14:16). My feeling is that if Jesus had to ask the Father, it will not do us any harm to ask as well.
-Derek Prince

God works all in all, and man receives all from God to work it out in trust and obedience. Where this relationship is not properly understood, man will use his own effort to take the place that God wants to fill. He thinks that if he can secure God's help in his efforts, he has found the path to holiness and growth. He does not understand that the Spirit must have absolute control, and he must exercise direct and unceasing dependence upon Him.
-Andrew Murray

John answered, saying to all, 'I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
-Luke 3:16

... And while He prayed the heaven was opened. And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him ...
-Luke 3:21b-22a

Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.
-Luke 4:1

Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee ...
-Luke 4:14a

And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: 'The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed me to ...
-Luke 4:17-18a

God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good ... for God was with Him.
-Acts 10:38

If you love Me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever --- the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
-John 14:15-17

Nevertheless I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
-John 16:7

When He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
-John 16:12-13

So Jesus said to them again, 'Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.' And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'
-John 20:21-22

Behold I send the promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.
-Luke 24:49

And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, 'which, He said, 'you have heard from Me; 'for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.'
-Acts 1:4-5

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
-Acts 1:8

Then they returned to Jerusalem ... and when then had entered they went up into the upper room there they were staying ... These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication.
-Acts 1:12,13,14

And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting ... and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit ..."
-Acts 2:2,4

Then Peter said to them, 'Repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
-Acts 2:38

For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.
-Acts 2:39

For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
-Romans 14:17

Because God from the beginning chose you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.
-2 Thessalonians 2:13b

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
-Ephesians 4:30

And do not be drunk with wine in which is dissipation: but be filled with the Spirit.
-Ephesians 5:18

But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
-1 Corinthians 2:10

God desires to advance His work among men by frequent outpourings of the Spirit upon His people as they need them and are prepared to receive them.
-A. W. Tozer

God will give [the Holy Spirit] to us if we just thirst for Him, and say, God helping me, I will not rest until endured with power from on high.
-D. L. Moody

In Him you also trusted, after you heard the Word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
-Ephesians 1:13-14

And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, 'Abba, Father!
-Galatians 4:6

For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father.'
-Romans 8:15

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
-2 Corinthians 13:14

For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
-Ephesians 2:18

And I will pray (ask) the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever --- the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
-John 14:16-17

We need to be filled again and again with the Holy Spirit. I am sometimes asked, 'Have you received the second blessing?' Yes, and the third and the fourth and the fifth and hundreds beside, and I am looking for a new blessing today.
-R.A. Torrey

The fullness of the Spirit is given to those who ask in faith (Luke 11:13; Acts 15:8-9). It is received by faith just as the new birth is received by faith. It was not just for the apostles or for the early church; rather, 'the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off -- for all whom the Lord our God will call (Acts 2:39).
-Wesley Duewel

God will manifest Himself to all who are longing to be temples of the Holy Spirit, filled with His power, and ready for the service of the living God.
-Andrew Murray

For the purpose of emptying us, the Holy Spirit allows us to meet with difficulties that we cannot overcome by self. This teaches us to rely on Him. You see, God must hollow us out before He can fill us.
-Watchman Nee

A distinguished theological professor has said that the question ought to be put to every candidate for the ministry, 'Have you met God?' Yes, but we ought to go farther than this and be even more definite. To every candidate for the ministry we should put the question, 'Have you been baptized with the Holy Spirit?' And if not, we should say to him as Jesus said to the first preachers of the gospel, 'Sit down until you are endued with power from on high.'
-D.L. Moody

You do not need to be able to explain the theology of the Spirit-filled life. All you need is to hunger.
-Wesley Duewel

Many of us have grown up on the theology that accepts the Holy Spirit as a Person, and even as a divine Person, but for some reason it never did us any good. We are as empty as ever, we are as joyless as ever, we are as far from peace as ever, we are as weak as ever.
-A.W. Tozer

The Holy Spirit came to carry the evidence of Christianity from the books of apologetics into the human heart, and that is exactly what He does.
-A.W. Tozer

We must have the Spirit of God resting upon us, and then we will have something that gives the victory over the world, the flesh and the devil; something that gives the victory over our tempers, over our conceits and over every other evil. And when we can trample these sins under our feet, then people will come to us and say, 'How did you get it? I need this power; you have something that I haven't got; I want it.'
D.L. Moody

We need to be filled again and again with the Holy Spirit. I am sometimes asked, 'Have you received the second blessing?' Yes, and the third and the fourth and the fifth and hundreds beside, and I am looking for a new blessing today.
-R.A. Torrey

The greatest, strongest, mightiest plea for the Church of God in the world is the existence of the Spirit of God in its midst, and the works of the Spirit of God are the true evidences of Christianity. They say miracles are withdrawn, but the Holy Spirit is the standing miracle of the Church of God today.
-C.H. Spurgeon

The period of realization came upon them when the Father fulfilled His promise and sent the Spirit. Peter used a phrase to describe it which is one of the fullest, finest phrases I now. He said, 'He hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.' (Acts 2:33) The shedding forth was like a mighty down-coming of water. The expectations were more than met --- not fully met, but more than met. God always gives us an overplus. They got more than they expected.
-A.W. Tozer

The Holy Spirit does not flow through methods but through men. He does not come on machinery but on men. He does not anoint plans but men. It is not great talent nor great learning that God needs but men great in holiness, great in faith, great in love, great in fidelity, great for God. These men can mold a generation for God.
–Ernest Reisinger

In brief, the teaching of the New Testament is that the outpouring at Pentecost was the historic beginning of an era which was to be characterized by a continuous outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
-A.W. Tozer

God desires to advance His work among men by frequent outpourings of the Spirit upon His people as they need them and are prepared to receive them.
-A.W. Tozer

Some people have the idea that this is the only dispensation of the Holy Ghost; that He didn't work until Christ was glorified. But Simeon felt the Holy Ghost when he went into the temple. In 2 Peter 1:21 we read: "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." We find the same Spirit Genesis as is seen in Revelation. The same Spirit that guided the hand that wrote Exodus inspired also the epistles, and we find the same Spirit speaking from one end of the Bible to the other.
-D. L. Moody

The Holy Spirit in His gracious work in the soul declares His own presence. Through His agency we are born again, and through His indwelling we possess superhuman power.
-D. L. Moody

A distinguished theological professor has said that the question ought to be put to every candidate for the ministry, 'Have you met God?' Yes, but we ought to go farther than this and be even more definite. To every candidate for the ministry we should put the question, 'Have you been baptized with the Holy Spirit?' And if not, we should say to him as Jesus said to the first preachers of the gospel, 'Sit down until you are endued with power from on high.
-D. L. Moody

For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
-Romans 14:17

Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a gaurantee.
-2 Cor. 1:21-22

If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give me to drink', you would have asked Him and He would have given you living water.
-John 4:10

If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, 'out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.' But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive.
-John 7:37b-39a

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!
-Luke 11:13

And when they had prayed the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.
-Acts 4:31

And do not be drunk with wine in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit.
-Ephesians 5:18

"Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit ..."
-Acts 4:8

Therefore brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
-Acts 6:3

And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit.
-Acts 6:5

And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among the people ... and they were not able to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke.
-Acts 6:8,10

And we are His witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him.
-Acts 5:32

'Then the Spirit said to Philip, "Go near and overtake the chariot.
-Acts 8:29

So Jesus said to them again, 'Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.' And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'
-John 20:21-22

Behold I send the promise of My Father upon you; but tarry ... until you are endued with power from on high.
-Luke 24:49

And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, 'which, He said, 'you have heard from Me; 'for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.'
-Acts 1:4-5

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
-Acts 1:8

There are those who wonder whether the present day movement of the Spirit may not be placing too great an emphasis on this Third Person of the Trinity. We need not be troubled about that. For the Helper always sees to it that He acts as a spotlight, ever focused on Jesus, so that we are not aware of the spotlight itself, only of that One who stands bathed in the brilliant illumination.
-Catherine Marshall

Thus an authentic hallmark of the believer baptized in the Spirit is that Jesus as a living Person becomes more real to him than ever before. That is the Spirit's glorious gift to you and me.
-Cathrine Marshall

The Bible ... encourages us to expect "showers of blessing" and "floods upon the dry ground." It was impossible for the outpouring which came at Pentecost to affect persons who were not present [then] or congregations not yet in existence.
-A.W. Tozer

Recall that John the Baptist introduced Jesus as the Baptizer in the Holy Spirit. It was his distinctive introduction to Israel. Second, the Holy Spirit was the source of power for the whole ministry and teaching of Jesus; Jesus depended totally on the Holy Spirit. Third, Jesus promised His disciples that when He Himself went back to heaven, He would send the Holy Spirit in His place as His personal representative to be their paraclete --- counselor, comforter, or helper --- "the one called in alongside to help them.
-Derick Prince

2004/1/24 17:17Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]The Gift of Faith[/b]

The gift of faith is not the saving faith every Christian has, but rather the special gift of mountain-moving faith … both the irresistible knowledge of God’s intervention at a certain point and the authority to effect this intervention through the power of the Holy Spirit.
–Siegfried Grossmann, German Theologian

The gift of faith is a Spirit-given ability to see something God wants done and to sustain unwavering confidence that God will do it regardless of seemingly insurmountable obstacles.
–Leslie B. Flynn, Nineteen Gifts of the Holy Spirit

I’ve experienced this “faith-beyond-faith” in my relationships. When I am most worried or concerned about a member of my family or a friend, I’ve learned to take that person to God in prayer. “Lord, give me a vision of what You are ready to do in this person’s life.” Often He gives me a picture of growth, change, or development, which seems humanly impossible. But then I feel the stirring of His Spirit within me, equipping me to believe it shall be so. And then I am given freedom to thank him that in his own way and timing it shall be so. The key is in asking God for the vision of what he desires to do. Then we can have a bold faith in asking for what we know he wants.
-Lloyd J. Ogilvie

2004/1/24 17:21Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Prayer of Faith[/b]

The prayer of faith is the only power in the universe to which the Great Jehovah yields. Prayer is the sovereign remedy.
—Robert Hall

Faith is not an abstract belief in the Word of God, nor a mere mental credence, nor a simple assent of the understanding and will; nor is it a passive acceptance of facts, however sacred or thorough. Faith is an operation of God, a Divine illumination, a holy energy implanted by the Word of God and the Spirit in the human soul
–E.M. Bounds

God’s great storehouse is full of blessings. Only prayer can unlock that storehouse. Prayer is the key, and faith turns the key and opens the door and claims the blessing.
–The Kneeling Christian

Jesus Christ opens wide the doors of the treasure-house of God’s promises, and bids us go in and take with boldness the riches that are ours.
–Corrie Ten Boom

Whatever you will ask the Father in my name He will give you.
–John 16:23

No prayer!—No faith!—No Christ in the heart. Little prayer!—Little faith!—Little Christ in the heart. Increasing prayer!—Increasing faith!—Increasing Christ in the heart!. Much prayer!—Much faith!—Much Christ in the heart! Praying always!—Faith always!—Christ always!
–Alexander Whyte

Doubt and fear are the twin foes of faith
–E.M. Bounds

The Father waits to hear every prayer of faith. He wants to give us whatever we ask for in Jesus’ name. God intends prayer to have an answer, and no one has yet full conceived what God will do for the child who believes that his prayer will be heard.
–Andrew Murray

There were children in our neighborhood for whom I provided all clothing, food and the necessities of life. They asked freely of me and their requests were usually granted. They were my children! …God has a particular responsibility to His children.
–Billy Graham

So Jesus answered and said to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ it will be done. And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive them.
– Matthew 21:21-22

Above all, let us hold on tightly to this blessed reality: The secret of prayer in spirit and truth is in the knowledge of the Fatherhood of God, the revelation of His infinite Fatherliness in our hearts, and the faith in His infinite love of us as His children.
–Andrew Murray

God is more willing to bless than we to ask. If He gave His Son, shall He not freely give us all things?
–James Belden

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
–Hebrews 11:6

Prayer is the prophecy of the blessing that is about to come.
–C H. Spurgeon

Now this is the confidence we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.
–1 John 5:14-15

Jesus never mentioned unanswered prayer, He had the boundless certainty that prayer is always answered.
–Oswald Chambers

Believing prayer from a wholly-cleansed heart never fails.
–The Kneeling Christian

Promises are the golden fruit to be plucked by the hand of prayer.
–E.M. Bounds

The faith which creates powerful praying is the faith which centers itself on a powerful Person. Faith in Christ's ability to do, and to do greatly, is the faith which prays greatly.
–E.M. Bounds

Therefore, I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.
–Mark 11:24

Worry says, ‘the outcome depends on me.’ It is self-worship. Prayer says, ‘the outcome depends on God.’ It is God-worship.
–Bill Patterson

To trust elsewhere (other than in God) is vanity; and the more implicit such misplaced trust becomes the more bitter will be the ensuing disappointment; but to trust in the living God is sanctified common sense which needs no excuse, its result shall be its best vindication
-C.H. Spurgeon

Faith is called upon, and that right often to wait in patience before God, and is prepared for God's seeming delays in answering prayer. Faith does not grow disheartened because prayer is not immediately honored; it takes God at His Word, and lets Him take what time He chooses in fulfilling His purposes, and in carrying on His work. There is bound to be much delay and long days of waiting for true faith, but faith accepts the conditions—knows there will be delays in answering prayer, and regards such delays as times of testing, in the which, it is privileged to show its mettle, and the stern stuff of which it is made.
–E.M. Bounds

Delay is often the test and the strength of faith. How much patience is required when these times of testing come! Yet faith gathers strength by waiting and praying.
–E.M. Bounds

Doubt and fear are the twin foes of faith
-E.M. Bounds

Faith is increased by exercise, by being put into use. It is nourished by sore trials.
–E.M. Bounds

2004/1/24 17:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Praying in the Holy Spirit[/b]

Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, Abba, Father!
–Galatians 4:6

So set is our flesh against praying at all that the Helper’s first task is to create in us even the basic desire to pray. He is the One who also spotlights for us the prayer-need or topic for prayer by creating a “concern” within us.
–Catherine Marshall

For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
-Romans 8:15

Real prayer is indited by the Holy Spirit, yet it is also the cry of a human heart.
–Arthur. W. Pink

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.
–Jude 20

The spiritual quality of prayer is determined not by its intensity but by its origin. In evaluating prayer we should inquire who is doing the praying—our determined hearts or the Holy Spirit? If the pray originates with the Holy Spirit, then the wrestling can be beautiful and wonderful; but if we are the victims of our own overheated desires, our praying can be as carnal as any other act.
–A.W. Tozer

And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes they will mourn of Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn.
–Zechariah 12:10

It is the prayer that God the Holy Spirit inspires that God the Father answers.
—R.A. Torrey

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit …
—Ephesians 6:18

Then remember that true prayer and fellowship with God cannot be all from one side. We need to be still, to wait and hear what response God gives. This is the office of the Holy Spirit, to be the voice of God to us. In the hidden depths of the heart, He can give a secret but most certain assurance that we are heard, that we are well pleasing, that the Father engages to do for us what we have asked. What we need, to hear the Voice, to receive this assurance, is the quiet stillness that waits on God, the quiet faith that trusts in God, the quiet heart that bows in nothingness and humility before God, and allows Him to be all in all.
–Andrew Murray

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express
–Romans 8:26

The Spirit who searches the deep things of God, doth offer, prompt, and suggest to us in our prayers those very things that are in God’s heart to grant the things we desire of Him, so as to speak God’s very heart to Himself.
–Thomas Godwin

Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because he makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
–Romans 8:27

Christ is making intercession on our behalf without us and independently of us. But the Holy Spirit is making intercession through us, pleading in our prayers with groanings that cannot be uttered. He never acts without us. He inspires us to pray, but the act of prayer is our own. He works in us to will and to do His good pleasure. But He does not will and do for us!
–Christmas Evans

For through Him both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
–Ephesians 2:18

It is when God is waited on to take His part in our prayer that the confidence will come to us that we receive what we ask, that our surrender of ourselves in the sacrifice of obedience is accepted, and that therefore we can count upon the Holy Spirit to guide us into all the will of God, as He means us to know and do it.
–Andrew Murray

I wish Christian people oftener inquired of the Holy Ghost as to guidance in their daily life. Know ye not that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? You need not always be running to this friend and to that to get direction: wait upon the Lord in silence; sit still in quiet before the oracle of God. Use the judgment God has given you; but when that suffices not, resort to him whom Mr. Bunyan calls “the Lord High Secretary,” who lives within, who is infinitely wise, and who can guide you by making you to ‘hear a voice behind you saying, This is the way, walk ye in it.
–C.H. Spurgeon

It is the Helper’s task to show us the blockages in the way of a given prayer-petition—any self-seeking, our desire to control, any resentments and unconfessed sin, etc. He is also the One who gives us His own prayer faith; also His fervor to replace our tepid love and caring … As we recognize our ignorance about praying aright and our helplessness, and actively seek the Spirit’s help, our prayer life becomes the anteroom to amazing adventures.
— Catherine Marshall

I went accordingly to my room, and locked my door, and putting the Bible on a chair, I went down on my knees at the chair. There I remained for several hours in prayer and meditation over the Word of God; and I can tell you that I learned more in those three hours, which I spent in this way, than I had learned for many months previously. I thus obtained the teaching of the Divine Spirit, and I cannot tell you the blessedness that it was to my own soul. I was praying in the Spirit, and putting my trust in the power of the Spirit, as I had never done before.
—George Müller

Prayer is the God-given fuse by which we ignite the Holy Spirit’s presence in the lives of others.
–Mark Calhoun

2004/1/24 17:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Praying According to the Will of God[/b]

The same God who has decreed the end has also decreed that His end shall be reached through His appointed means, and one of these is prayer.
-A.W. Pink

When God deigns to bless His people He sets them a-praying for the blessing which He desires to give them.
—Matthew Henry

The God who has determined to grant a blessing, also gives a spirit of supplication which first seeks the blessing.
-A.W. Pink

2004/1/24 17:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Persisting in Prayer[/b]

Give Him no rest until He hear thee; like the importunate widow, be thou always at the heels of the great One; give not up because the past has proved apparently fruitless; remember Jericho stood firm for six days, but yet when they gave an exceeding great shout, it fell flat to the ground.
–C.H. Spurgeon

Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
–Luke 18:1

And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; then he bowed down on the ground, and put his face between his knees, and said to his servant, ‘Go up now, and look toward the sea.’ So he went up and looked, and said, ‘There is nothing.’ And seven times he said, ‘Go again.’ Then it came to pass …
–1 Kings 18:42-44

Yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary Me … And shall not God avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though he bears long with them?
–Luke 18:5, 7

I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
–Luke 11:8

So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
–Luke 11:10

2004/1/24 17:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Intercessory Prayer[/b]

Therefore he is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
–Hebrews 7:25

The highest form of prayer is intercession.
– Andrew Murray

It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession of us.
–Romans 8:34

Because He poured out His soul unto death, and He was numbered with the transgressors, And He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
–Isaiah 53:12

Entertain and practice intercessory prayer, and you will, by degrees, and in process of time, sanctify yourself to an inwardness and to a spirituality, and to a complexity, and to a simplicity that hitherto you have had no experience of, no conception of, and indeed no ambition after.
–Alexander Whyte

Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved.
–Romans 10:1

There is nothing that makes us love a man so much as praying for him.
–William Law

… But the Spirit makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
–Romans 8:26-27

As long as prayer is only a means of personal improvement and happiness, we cannot know its full power.
–Andrew Murray

Therefore, I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority.
–1st Timothy 2:1-2

Intercession paints the targets so God can zero in on areas of need with His glory! He sets His gun sights on these targets and strikes the mark with His lighting or displays of His brilliant presence.
–Jim Goll

Epaphras, who is one of you, a bondservant of Christ, greets you, always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may be able to stand perfect and complete in all the will of God. For I bear him witness that he has a great zeal for you …
–Colossians 4:12-13

And pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
-James 5:16b

Perhaps believers in general have regarded intercession as just some form of rather intensified prayer. It is, so long as there is great emphasis on the word “intensified:” for there are three things to be seen in an intercessor which are not necessarily found in ordinary prayer: identification, agony and authority.
–Norman Grubb

He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor.
–Isaiah 59:16

In prayer, as in all things, our Lord set the example. He prayed for others.
–Bill Patterson

’So I sought for a man among them who would make up the wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one. Therefore I have poured out My indignation on them; I have consumed them with the fire of My wrath; and I have recompensed their deeds on their own heads.’ Says the Lord God.
–Ezekiel 22:30-31

2004/1/24 17:34Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Satanic Opposition to Prayer[/b]

Satan has the wisdom of an archangel and the experience of half an eternity as the captain of all the hosts of hell. He is an expert in the acts and arts of deception and trickery. He has almost inexhaustible resources at his command to serve his purposes. Other than God Himself, a wiser and more powerful spirit than Satan does not live. A more malicious power than he could not exist. There is no greater worker than he. His endless energy and tireless perseverance are the only things in him worthy of imitation. These are the things that make him so powerful and so dreadful.
—E.M. Bounds

Know that the ancient Enemy doth strive by all means to hinder thy desire to be good and to keep thee clear of all religious exercises,. Many evil thoughts does he suggest to thee, that so he may cause a weariness and horror in thee, and to call thee back from prayer and holy reading.
—Thomas `a Kempis

He who is ignorant of the wiles and artifices of the Enemy, only beats the air, and the Devil is not afraid of him.
-Pastor Blumhart

The careless and half-hearted Christian knows nothing about the Devil or his devices. But those who serve God are the ones who demand Satan’s attention, provoke his anger, and call forth his strategies.
-E.M. Bounds

If a church has a holy preacher, a man of great prayerfulness, of great grace, filled with the Spirit, Satan will use any method to retire him and put in a man who does not pray, but who is eloquent and popular.
-E.M. Bounds

By concerning myself with a person who was possessed I became involved in such a fearful conflict with the powers of darkness that it is not possible for me to describe.
—Pastor Blumhart

Satan works by imitation. It is his policy to make something as close to the original as possible and, thereby, to break the force and value of the genuine. This is one of his favorite methods.
-E.M. Bounds

Those by the wayside are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
—Luke 8:12

The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil. He mocks at our wisdom. But he trembles when we pray.
–Samuel Chadwick

Satan has suffered so much from good praying that all his wily, shrewd, and ensnaring devices will be used to cripple its performance.
–E.M. Bounds

Prayer is warfare. Sometimes the battle is open conflict. Other times it’s cold war. But we must never lose a sense of the enemy. If Satan is not real to you, that’s a red flag that your prayer life is not what it should be.
–Terry Muck

The devil enjoys hearing a prayer that is addressed to an audience.
-Unknown

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
—2 Corinthians 4:4

Oh, if our faith could ride out against the high and proud waves and winds when our sea seemeth all on fire! Oh, how oft do I let my grips go. I am put to swimming and half sinking. I find the Devil hath the advantage in this battle, for he fighteth in known ground for our corruption. However matters go, it is our happiness to win new grounds daily on Christ’s love and to add conquest to conquest until our Lord Jesus and we are so near each other that Satan cannot draw a straw or a thread between us.
—Samuel Rutherford

He tempts us to lash out with evil tempers, to speak hasty words, and to be impatient. He tempts us to use carnal reasoning, which is his powerful ally in our minds. We must turn back to Christ. We need more of His Spirit-renewed commitment and thorough self-dedication. By sending prayers upward with uplifted eyes and hearts, we will be able to resist and conquer the great adversary of our souls.
—E.M. Bounds

Satan’s main target is the Church. But the gates of hell (Matthew 16:15-18) shall not prevail against it

— Unknown

Neither give place to the devil
— Ephesians 4:27

The devil’s easiest target is a sleepy Christian.
—E. M. Bounds

Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
— James 4:7

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaming lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour: whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
—1 Peter 5:8-9

The devil so often assures us that our prayers cannot claim an answer because of the "dryness" of our souls. Answers to prayer, however, do not depend upon our feelings, but upon the trustworthiness of the Promiser.
–The Kneeling Christian

Loyalty to God is ruin to Satan.
—E.M. Bounds

Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
—Ephesians 6:10

To whom you forgive anything, I forgive also: for if I forgave anything, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
—2 Corinthians 2:10-11

I have written unto you, young men, because you are strong, and the Word of God abideth in you, and you have overcome the wicked one.
—1 John 2: 14

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
-Ephesians 6: 9,10

The soldiers in warfare against the devil must understand how to wear the armor of “all prayer.” The demand is for “all prayer” at all seasons, in the most intense form, with a deep sense of personal need for God. Prayer must deepen and intensify into supplication. The Holy Spirit will help us into this kind of mighty praying and clothe us with this irresistible power of prayer.
—E.M. Bounds

Prayer brings God into the situation with commanding force. “Ask me of things to come concerning My sons,” says God, “and concerning the work of my hands command ye Me” (Isaiah 45:11).
—E.M. Bounds

Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, ‘The Lord rebuke you!’
—Jude 9

If I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you.
—Matthew 12:34

Of how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.
—Matthew 12:29

And He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons.—Mark 3:14-15

Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask , it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.
—Matthew 18:18-20

Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, ‘Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.’ And He said to them, ‘I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven. Behold I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.
—Luke 10:17-20

… Your Kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
—Luke 11: 2

… and do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one
—Luke 11: 4

2004/1/24 17:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Prayer & Discouragement[/b]

It is characteristic of the God-intoxicated, the dreamers and mystics of the Kingdom, that their flight-range is greater than that of other men. Their ability to sweep upward to unbelievable heights of spiritual transport is equaled only by their sad power to descend, to sit in dazed dejection by the River Chebar or to startle the night watches with their lonely grief. A long list of names could be appended here to support this statement; and it would be a noble and saintly list indeed, for Moses’ name would be there, and Thomas Upham’s and Brother Lawrence’s, and St. Francis’, and Madam Guyon’s and a host of others. It might well read like a little Who’s Who in the Kingdom of God, if the whole truth were told of the gloom of the great, which overtakes them sometimes on their journey to the City of God.
–A.W. Tozer

2004/1/24 17:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]The Minister & Prayer[/b]

But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the Word.
–Acts 6:4

There are three things that go to the making of a successful preacher: supplication, meditation, and tribulation.
–Martin Luther

I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach. A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray.
–MacGregor

The most laboriously and carefully-prepared sermon is likely to fall unctionless upon the hearers unless it has been born out of travail of soul before God. Unless the sermon be the product of earnest prayer we must not expect it to awaken the spirit of prayer in those who hear it.
–Arthur W. Pink

Preaching is a rare gift; prayer is a rarer one. Preaching, like a sword, is a weapon to use at close quarters; those far off cannot be reached by it. Prayer, like a breechloader, has longer range, and under some circumstances is even more effective.
— Wenham

Study universal holiness of life. Your whole usefulness depends on this, for your sermons last but an hour or two; your life preaches all the week. If Satan can only make a covetous minister a lover of praise, of pleasure, of good eating, he has ruined your ministry. Give yourself to prayer, and get your texts, your thoughts, your words from God. Luther spent his best three hours in prayer.
—Robert Murray McCheyne

Misemployment of time is injurious to the mind. In illness I have looked back with self-reproach on days spent in my study; I was wading through history and poetry and monthly journals, but I was in my study! Another man’s trifling is notorious to all observers, but what am I doing? Nothing, perhaps, that has reference to the spiritual good of my congregation. Be much in retirement and prayer. Study the honor and glory of your Master.
—Richard Cecil

The work of the ministry is to change unbelieving sinners into praying and believing saints. It was claimed for Augustus Caesar that he found Rome a city of wood, and left it a city of marble. The pastor who succeeds in changing his people from a prayerless to a prayerful people, has done a greater work than did Augustus in changing a city from wood to marble. And after all, this is the prime work of the preacher. Primarily, he is dealing with prayerless people -- with people of whom it is said, "God is not in all their thoughts." Such people he meets everywhere, and all the time. His main business is to turn them from being forgetful of God, from being devoid of faith, from being prayerless, so that they become people who habitually pray, who believe in God, remember Him and do His will. The preacher is not sent to merely induce men to join the Church, nor merely to get them to do better. It is to get them to pray, to trust God, and to keep God ever before their eyes, that they may not sin against Him.
–E.M. Bounds

Prayer is necessary to bring the preacher into a suitable frame to handle Divine things and to endue him with Divine power. …Prayer is the appointed means for receiving spiritual communications for the instruction of our people. We must be much with God before we can be fitted to go forth and speak in His name.
–Arthur W. Pink

He does the most for God who is the highest skilled in prayer.
–E.M. Bounds

Oh, that the prayers of God’s people would always go up for God’s ministers, that they may speak with a divine power and influence which none shall be able to gainsay! We look too much for clever men; we seek out fluent and flowery speakers; we sigh for men cultured and trained in all the knowledge of the heathen; nay, but if we sought more for unction, for divine authority, and for that power which doth hedge about the man of God, how much wiser should we be! Oh, that all of us who profess to preach the gospel would learn to speak in entire dependence upon the direction of the Holy Spirit, not daring to utter our own words, but even trembling lest we should do so, and committing ourselves to that secret influence without which nothing will be powerful upon the conscience or converting to the heart. Know ye not the difference between the power that cometh of human oratory, and that which cometh by the divine energy which speaks so to the heart that men cannot resist it? We have forgotten this too much. It were better to speak six words in the power of the Holy Ghost than to preach seventy years of sermons without the Spirit.
–C.H. Spurgeon

Expository preaching -- the prayerful expounding of the Word of God is preaching that is preaching -- pulpit effort par excellence. For its successful accomplishment, however, a preacher needs must be a man of prayer. For every hour spent in his study-chair, he will have to spend two upon his knees. For every hour he devotes to wrestling with an obscure passage of Holy Writ, he must have two in the which to be found wrestling with God. Prayer and preaching: preaching and prayer! They cannot be separated. The ancient cry was: "To your tents, O Israel! " The modern cry should be: "To your knees, O preachers, to your knees!
—E.M. Bounds

2004/1/24 17:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy