SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : An indictment against us ...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jason

Tallahassee, FL, USA

An indictment against us ...

About a year ago, I figured out that if we read our Bibles for an average of 30-45 minutes per day (depending on reading speed), we will get through them once per year.

This is an indictment against us that we do not read at least that much per year -- it's not much.

2003/7/12 14:55Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: An indictment against us ...

Quote:
This is an indictment against us that we do not read at least that much per year -- it's not much.

Absolutely brother, its not much at all! shame on us, "mommabear" is God willing going to help lead us through the bible in one year possibly using the "Robert Murray McCheyne Reading guide".
If you are intrested please check back to see when this is going to start. Hopefully we can gather a good amount of people who are willing to dedicate themselves to reading the bible with us. It might also be easier if we are accountable.. so coming to SermonIndex to check the scritptures to read and even posting a comment, blessing or question about that scripture can help you follow through with your commitement.

2003/7/12 15:45Profile
pfox

Toledo, OH

Re:

This has the possibility of being very neat. I look forward to getting started.

2003/7/13 20:25Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Count me in!

_/crsschk\_

2003/7/13 20:44Profile
Maria

USA

Re:

YES!!!

--Maria--

2003/7/13 21:28Profile
TaKa

Louisiana

Re: An indictment against us ...

You can read the entire Bible within a year in less than 5 minutes a day. Reading by chapters takes you through the whole Bible in eighteen weeks at the rate of only ten chapters a day. If you read 4 chapters in the morning, 2 at lunchtime, and 4 in the evening, that would make it easy to read 10 chapters in the Word every day.

~ Winkie Pratney, from his book, A Handbook for Followers of Jesus

This is supposing that you're a very fast reader. Bro. Winkie reads like 10 books a week in addition to the Bible.

2003/7/14 17:50Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
You can read the entire Bible within a year in less than 5 minutes a day. Reading by chapters takes you through the whole Bible in eighteen weeks at the rate of only ten chapters a day. If you read 4 chapters in the morning, 2 at lunchtime, and 4 in the evening, that would make it easy to read 10 chapters in the Word every day.

so are we reading our bibles once a year? I heard of a minister that spends the first 5-7 days of [b]each[/b] month to read the entire bible through :-o

2004/2/16 15:12Profile
Malachi

UK

Re:

Well there's reading and READING. I am a fast reader normally, skimming for facts and stories, but the Bible demands that you understand some of the reasons behind the writing and a commentary or at least a study Bible is useful. This will slow you down but will help comprehension.

For instance the long lists of names and places have an importance in Hebrew scripture which is not evident and I know I am temted to skip these without guidance.

Also, even Peter said that Paul's writings were difficult to understand, and I agree.

On the subject of speed reading the Bible - I have read Walter Wangerin's 'Book of God' and subsequent volume 'Paul'. Both of these took me about 3-4 days each sitting by swimming pools on holidays. While not actually claiming authority as the Word of God, these are great books for putting the scripture events into a timeline and help with later understanding of passages.

So far I have kept to the reading plan, and intend to follow this for the rest of the year, alongside other studies on themes.

May God's word bless all who read it.

Dave

2004/2/17 2:02Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
So far I have kept to the reading plan, and intend to follow this for the rest of the year, alongside other studies on themes.

Hi Brother if you are following the reading plan sign-below:
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=412&forum=37&1]Who is using the M'chyne Bible Reading guide[/url]

Quote:
On the subject of speed reading the Bible - I have read Walter Wangerin's 'Book of God' and subsequent volume 'Paul'. Both of these took me about 3-4 days each sitting by swimming pools on holidays. While not actually claiming authority as the Word of God, these are great books for putting the scripture events into a timeline and help with later understanding of passages.

Intresting, will have to check it out.

2004/2/17 3:05Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy