SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sin is a Monster!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Sin is a Monster!

My pastor handed me this quote six years ago. He said it's an amazing quote that continues to be relevant and "grows" in the mind. Meaning you learn more of the depth of the quotes meaning over time.

"Sin is a monster of such awful mein
that to be hated needs but to be seen
but seen to oft familiar of face
we first endure,then pity,then embrace."

-Alexander Pope

2006/9/1 19:14
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Sin is a Monster!

Quote:
"Sin is a monster of such awful mein that to be hated needs but to be seen
but seen to oft familiar of face
we first endure,then pity,then embrace."

-Alexander Pope

This is an interesting quote. I have often thought about the passage:

But it is happened unto them according to the TRUE proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. (II Peter 2:22)

Why would a dog turn back to take again the very thing that made it sick in the first place? What could possibly be the attraction? What is going through the mind that would turn back to the 'vomit' that made the person sick? This is quite a question.

Matthew Henry comments here:

[i] 2:17-22 "The word of truth is the water of life, which refreshes the souls that receive it; but deceivers spread and promote error, and are set forth as empty, because there is no truth in them. As clouds hinder the light of the sun, so do these darken counsel by words wherein there is no truth. Seeing that these men increase darkness in this world, it is very just that the mist ofdarkness should be their portion in the next. In the midst of their talk of liberty, these men are the vilest slaves; their own lusts gain a complete victory over them, and they are actually in bondage. [u]When men are entangled, they are easily overcome; therefore Christians should keep close to the word of God, and watch against all who seek to bewilder them. A state of apostacy is worse than a state of ignorance.[/u] To bring an evil report upon the good way of God, and a false charge against the way of truth, must expose to the heaviest condemnation. How dreadful is the state here described! Yet though such a case is deplorable, it is not utterly hopeless; the leper may be made clean, and even the dead may be raised. Is thy backsliding a grief to thee? Believe in the Lord Jesus, and thou shalt be saved."[/i]

2006/9/1 22:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Sin is a Monster!

Re: Sin is a Mnster

I often have to think about this: sin is a monster but it does not start out as a monster: it becomes one after a period of growth.

We grow tomatoes hydroponically in greenhouses. It is a challenge to my DH and me. We try to maintain absolute cleaniness to make the environment hostile to disease and pests. Last year an entomologist from the university came for a visit to check out our insect population. He found ONE white fly and told us. I was not concerned but should have been, I later found out. That ONE white fly multiplied where it almost got out of control. My DH sprayed and sprayed until we finally broke down and purchased some very expensive chemical which interfers with the bugs' growth. Then we got control and almost eradicated the insects from the building.

This experience was a stark reminder to me how sin operates: a little one, why worry about it? one little bug will not hurt the plants any? (True, but they multiply very fast, just like sin.) White flies will suck the life out of a plant, interferring with its life and production causing the leaves to die and then the plant, unless treated.

Is this not not the way sin is? If left alone - because it appears so small and innocent - and what do you have before too long? A monster, even if it is tiny. It will sap the life out of you...Yes, whenever we fight white flies, I am reminded how they mimic sin in its entire life cycle.

ginnyrose

2006/9/2 0:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy