SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Dangers of Speaking on Power by Sammy Tippit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Dangers of Speaking on Power by Sammy Tippit

[b]Dangers of Speaking on Power[/b]
[i]by Sammy Tippit[/i]

There are dangers in talking about God's Power, especially in relation to revival. There are three dangers I want to mention to you.

The first is, when speaking of the power of God, people often emphasize the power of God rather that the God of power. We must always have our focus on the God of power and not focus on the power. Power can corrupt the best of people. Throughout this country, one of the greatest problems you find in churches, when the church is not revived, is a power struggle. Someone is wanting the power. The pastor may want the power; or the deacons want the power; the women or the men want the power. Everybody's vying for power.

Power can be a very dangerous thing. Pride can come in power if not centered in God Himself. Pride goes before a fall (Proverbs 16:18). We must be careful when we talk about the power of God in revival, and not speak of the power of God only, but the God of power.

Secondly, when we talk about the power of God in this generation, it is dangerous because we are living in a generation that seeks signs and wonders. I believe God works miracles today. I believe every time God forgives sin and saves a soul, a miracle takes place. I believe in a miracle-working God. But we must be very careful not to seek after miracles and signs and wonders, but to seek after God Himself, and seek to obey the Word of God.

I don't find anywhere in the Bible where we believers are to run after signs and wonders and miracles. What I find in the Bible is that we are to be preaching the Word of God, teaching the Word of God, obeying the Word of God. Signs and wonders follow us. We don't chase after them; they chase after us. What we have to be concerned about is doing the will of God, and if we do the will of God, God will do the rest.

The third danger is that we become so familiar with the terminology of all that surrounds revival that we can talk about revival, we can teach it and preach on it - and yet we find that our pulpits and pews are powerless. We find our own lives standing in need of revival.

2006/8/27 18:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy