SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hearers or doers??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AshleyJnr

Guolburn, NSW Australia

Hearers or doers??

I have been thinking this for some time now, but it was crystalized in my mind tonight through an analogy that I heard and would like to share.

I earnestly want to seek a real, authentic Christianity, which I'm sure many of you do too. In my searching I discovered this site, whilst tracing authentic paths which have already been travelled by mighty men and women of God who have gone before us.

Firstly I would like to say that this site has helped and is helping open up a fresh zeal for the Lord in my Heart and a fresh understanding of his word. (I am refering mainly to the sermons available, though many of the discussions are good too)

However, I sometimes feel that if I let it, my hunger for biblical preaching and fresh insight can shift to the form of an addiction which can leave my soul in an unhealthy state.

The analogy I heard was more in refence to conferences and the like, but I think it applies to this situation aswell.

The analogy is that good sermons are like chocolate. They taste great and usually release a bit of an energy, but if you just sit there and keep eating, you'll get addicted and get out of shape. However if you go out and do some exercise you'll stay in shape.

I suppose the issue is dealt with in James 1:22

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Also another concern I have is that I was brought up in the school of consumerism, and I am trying to learn how to unlearn!!! And I can see in my own life how subtly I can switch from the merry-go-round of "possesions" to "sermons", while, all the while I have not been freed from this world's system of "needing to have the latest and greatest".

Is this making sense? If not let me know and I'll try and clarify.

Please don't think I'm saying I think the site is bad or anything like that.
I think it is absoloutly awesome and a wonderful resource.
It's just that there's a part of me, that loves being a hearer of the word, but doesn't like the "doing" part so much.

And Yes, I can see the irony of posting this thread on the forum, but I want to encourage us to be "doers of the work"!!

James 1:25
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Brother Ashley

2006/8/27 8:22Profile
AshleyJnr

Guolburn, NSW Australia

Re: Hearers or doers??

Sorry I unknowingly put this in Revivals and church history is there a way to change that??

2006/8/27 8:24Profile
bereangirl

Toronto, Canada

Hi Ashley...I think you have a point here. I was thinking along those lines yesterday myself. I've recently found this site and I'm enjoying the sermons (hey, I listened to 3 yesterday and one 2x) but after I was thinking that if I just keep listening to one sermon after another my ears will get dull and I will have spiritual indigestion. So, I'm thinking it's better to listen to one and really dig in and digest and study further what was preached so that it gets into my heart and I begin to live it out.

I think that we do need to be on our guard against "Christian Consumerism" where we want to run after the latest book or tape. Of course we think that we're buying this for our good--I will learn something, I will grow --and some books have definitely been a blessing to read. Other books have just been on sale and I "had to have them". But I'm realising that there is nothing better than getting something firsthand from the Lord as you dig, and study and read the Scriptures yourself. To be brutally honest with myself, sometimes books and tapes have been shortcuts to the longer, slower but far more fruitful process of digging in the Scriptures.

You're absolutely right that we can deceive ourselves in thinking we are being obedient or spiritual or whatever by listening to all sorts of sermons. But if we don't DO anything with it, we've wasted our time not to mention the more serious self-deception aspect.

Blessings,

Bereangirl

2006/8/27 9:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
You're absolutely right that we can deceive ourselves in thinking we are being obedient or spiritual or whatever by listening to all sorts of sermons. But if we don't DO anything with it, we've wasted our time not to mention the more serious self-deception aspect.

Yes, then we simply sin against more light and are accountble for more at the judgement seat of Christ. Ravenhill said in a sermon once: "Why do you want to teach your congregation they already can't handle the light they have on and all you want to do is add condemnation to them."

Jesus had very stern remarks for those that hear and do not obey. Obedience is the key. Oh to realize that God's will is for us to be like Jesus Christ.

2006/8/27 11:41Profile

Houston, Tx

Thank you so much for posting this on here. When I first found this site I went sermon hungry. I was being a glutton on sermons. You really have shed a lot of light into this issue. I have been wondering If I have truely been listening to too many sermons or if my friends just didn't like it. Thank you so much this post has been an absoluet blessing. May the Lord always show you things from His Word.

In Christ, E-mail :-)

2006/8/27 14:59Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Ashleyjnr:

Great insight!! There needs to be moderation in life, even in listening to and watching sermons. I have been convicted lately that spending as much time as I do in these persuites, keeps me from close, personal, time with my Lord. The greatest learning takes place as we are quiet, and are able to hear the Lord speak truth to us.

Blessings Greg

2006/8/27 18:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy