[b]Rules For Living A Holy Life[/b]
[i]by William Law[/i]
These rules for holy living were given to us by Brother William Law. He was born in the sixteen hundreds, and went to be with the Lord in seventeen hundred and fifty two. He wrote most of these rules for holy living just before he entered college, when he was about eighteen years of age. I have never seen their equal among the writings of man!
1. The greatness of human nature consists in nothing else but in being a channel for the Divine nature of God to express Himself and show forth His's fruits, which all stem from love, for God is love.
2. If I speak without love, I'm doing nothing but making noise. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and have all knowledge; and if I have a faith so strong that it can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all my possessions to feed the poor, or even become a martyr, but do not have love, I'm worthless. Love, that is, God's love, bears all things, it is always patience, it is always kind; love is not selfish, love does not take into account a wrong suffered; love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. God's love never fails! 1 Corinthians 13:1-8
3. Love, wish well, and be compassionate to every soul in the world; when you dwell in love, you dwell in God. Hate NOTHING in this world except the evil that stirs in your own heart.
4. Be patient in all things, and in all circumstances, with everyone. Every time you are patient, you are resisting the Devil, every time you are not patient, you are resisting the Holy Spirit of God! Patient: bearing pains or trials calmly, without complaint, manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain, not hasty or impetuous, steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity, willing to bear all.
5. Be meek at all times, instead of argumentative and wrathful. Every time you are meek, you are resisting the Devil, every time you are argumentative and wrathful, you are resisting the Holy Spirit of God! Meekness: being overly submissive, compliant, enduring injury with patience and without resentment, mild.
6. Be humble in all situations. Don't allow pride, for any reason, to rise up in you, for this is allowing the Devil to rise up in you. Every time you are humble, you are resisting the Devil, every time you are not humble, you are resisting the Holy Spirit of God! Pride keeps us from dwelling in God, dwelling in God is abiding in Christ, we can't be fruitful without abiding! Jesus said that if we are not fruitful, we will be cut off, and cast into the fire, if we abide in Him, we will bear much fruit. Humility: A spirit of submission, unpretentious, lowly, thinking of one's self as being insignificant, ill-deserving and unworthy.
7. If we are humble, we will always regard others as more important than ourselves. This humility is only yours while you abide in Christ, and Christ is abiding in you! If you don't believe this just try to regard others as more important than yourself WITHOUT abiding in Christ! Remember, PRIDE is the thing that stops us from doing this. And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. 1 Cor 8:2 If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Galatians 6:3 Do you understand what God is saying in these two Scriptures?
8. Be wholly resigned to all of the will of God, at all times and under all circumstances. The following examples have been updated to modern times, this resignation is especially important to have when: You lose your job, and your car breaks down on the way home; or when you are late for work, and the traffic is especially slow. No matter what happens, it IS God's will for your life! Remember, "All things work together for good, for those who love God, for those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28. God will make even the very things that seem like a catastrophe work out for good. God really meant ALL THINGS! Do you really Love God?
9. Never allow a lie to escape from your mouth or actions. Every time you lie you are resisting the Holy Spirit of God! When you tell the truth, especially when it is hurtful to yourself, or causes great embarrassment to you, it is at these times that you are truly resisting the Devil. In addition, you are walking on the path of humility, instead of pride! Bear in mind, the Angels in Heaven are watching. Truth puts a smile on their faces, and telling a lie, or being deceitful, puts a smile on the Devil's face.
10. Always remember that if you have not chosen the Kingdom of God first it will, in the end, make no difference what you have chosen instead. But rest assured, the thing you choose instead will be something of the world, and in comparison with the things of Heaven, all of the things of this world are truly worthless!
11. Do not want or lust for anything, but only desire the things you truly need, food, drink, and clothing. With these things the Lord has said we are to be satisfied. When you desire "nothing," you are preparing your soul to abide in Christ. Whenever you want something very much, or, think that you can't live without it, you give the Devil control over your life. If you don't burn or lust to have some "thing" or some circumstance to work out for you, you will be able to abide in Christ without much difficulty.
12. Think nothing great or desirable because the world thinks it so. Form all of your judgments from the infallible word of God, and then direct your life accordingly.
13. Be always fearful of letting your time slip away without some fruit; we are on this earth to choose where we want to spend Eternity. Don't waste your time seeking wealth. Wealth, and the things it can buy will burn, and you can't take any of it with you to the place you have chosen to spend eternity, Heaven or Hell. Nor can it purchase health for you, rich people die every day!
Remember, everyday you are hungering, for something either of this world, or Heaven, in so doing you are choosing where you want to spend eternity. Do not be fooled, if your desire is for the things of this world, you are not truly desiring Heaven! Never mind seeking fame, it will pass away; Don't waste time seeking success in this world with worldly things, it won't last. Instead, desire to become as a little child, for this is truly Gods will for your life. Always look for the fruit of God in your life, each and everyday. Choose wisely how you spend the time God has given you!
14. Avoid all concerns with the world, or the ways of the world, except where true Christianity requires it. Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. And the world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God abides forever. 1 John 2:15-17
15. Spend as little time as you possibly can among such persons that cannot receive any benefit from you, nor you from them. Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals." 1 Corinthians 15:33.
16. Fix it deep in your mind that you have only one important business in this life, to seek for eternal happiness by doing the will of God, and to examine everything as it serves or obstructs this one purpose of your life.
17. Nothing has separated us from God but our own will (our reasoning), or rather our own will (our reasoning) IS our separation from God. For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. Romans 8:14
18. Always remember, and impress it upon your mind deeply, that no condition or circumstance of this life is for the purpose of enjoyment, nor are they to make your life unnecessarily difficult, truly all conditions and circumstances of this life are a trial, a test! God loves us very much, and like a loving Father He is planning for us to have the best!
Trust Him, He wouldn't allow us to go through unnecessary pain and problems. And we know that God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren. Romans 8:28-29
19. Be intent on the perfection of the present day. In other words, be certain that it is the intention of your heart to walk perfect before God THIS VERY DAY! Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself. J.C.
20. Spend time in giving an account of your day, previous to your evening prayer, as to how you have spent the day. Did you waste time on foolishness, or did you benefit the Kingdom of God. Did you live for self, or for the Lord. Was the fruit of God's Spirit evident in your life this day?
21. Always avoid all idleness. And at the same time they also learn to be idle, as they go around from house to house; and not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things not proper to mention. 1 Timothy 5:13.
22. Do you really intend to walk in God's will today? Are you looking intently, and longingly, to be led by God's Spirit? Is being led of God's Spirit, (denying yourself) the most important thing in your life right now? Or, is something of this world captivating your heart?
23. Do not worry about anything, always pray with supplication, and with a thankful heart to God. (When you do this you can count on the results, which will be this;) the peace of God, which always surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 You never receive this kind of peace when you worry about the problems and situations in your life. Remember, you won't be able to pray this way without faith, faith is truly trusting in the Living God!
24. Self is the root, the tree, and the branches of all the evils of our fallen state. All that is sweet, delightful, and amiable in this world, (the serenity of the air, the fineness of seasons, the joy of light, the melody of sounds, the beauty of colors, the fragrance of smells, beautiful sunsets, and the splendor of precious stones) is nothing else but Heaven breaking through the veil of this world, manifesting itself in some degree, and darting to and fro in many varieties of its own nature. Remember, None of the things of Heaven will be darting to and fro in Hell! There will not be ANYTHING sweet, delightful, or amiable in Hell either!
25. If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. "For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself? J.C. Luke 9:23-25
26. When I was a child I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:11 We have served our flesh long enough, it is now time to grow up, and serve God.
27. Avoid all excess in eating and drinking. Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
28. Call to mind the presence of God whenever you find yourself under any temptation to sin, and pray immediately. "Keep watching and praying, that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Matthew 26:41 And when He arrived at the place, He said to them, "Pray that you may not enter into temptation." Luke 22:40
29. Avoid all evil-speaking. Abstain from every form of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:22. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. James 3:8. This is very true, and one of the reasons why we need "...God's Spirit to put to death the deeds of our body" Romans 8:13
30. Pray privately a minimum of three times a day besides your morning and evening devotions. Pray without ceasing; 1 Thessalonians 5:17
Please take this challenge and try to live by these holy rules. In so doing you will soon be brought to see your absolute need for Christ, not only to help you live your life but as Paul said, to be your life! If you choose to live by these rules, you will soon understand why Jesus said, "You must be born again." You will understand why this new birth is so important. Without this new birth of the meek and humble Lamb of God we will never truly be patient, meek, or humble in the practice of our lives, these things will only be in our lives once in a while. The will of God is for us to be like Jesus Christ.
The Bible tells us to have the same mind as Christ. 1 Peter 4:1-2. Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin; that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. As long as we live our lives any way we wish, we will be careless of God's commandments, doing only the things we want to do. The really bad thing about this is that we will go along deceiving ourselves, never really seeing our need to be born again of the meek and humble Lamb of God. Is it in your heart now, do you really intend to obey God? You can do so, but only with His help!
The will of God is for us to be like Jesus Christ, now, in this life, if we aren't changed into new creations in Christ now, we never will be. In order for us to be born of the meek and humble Lamb of God, or, in other words, to become disciples of Jesus Christ, we must deny ourselves. Whenever we don't deny ourselves, we are denying the Lord of Glory. Remember 12 Corinthians 5:15 "And He died for all, that they who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf."
This Scripture tells us in simple words of the need to deny ourselves. Yes, we must have this birthing of the meek and humble Lamb of God take place in our lives, the Bible makes it clear that we must be like Jesus Christ, we must be born of God's Spirit, or we won't see Heaven. Hebrews 10:26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain terrifying expectation of judgment, and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries. You will never really have a lasting peace until you surrender to God. Read Romans 12:1-2
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon