SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Mr. J. N. Darby's first impression of Mr. G. V. Wigram, about 1827

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Mr. J. N. Darby's first impression of Mr. G. V. Wigram, about 1827

[b]Mr. J. N. Darby's first impression of Mr. G. V. Wigram, about 1827[/b]

Such a saint as Miss F. brought in to two take tea with us this afternoon! A Mr. Wigram, not more than 22, preparing for the ministry.

Whilst his spirit and conversation have laid me in the dust, his weighty words and sentences I pray God I may never forget.

So much is given hand of the Spirit, one help our Lord's sanctifying presence amongst us.

He read to us during tea Psalms 67 and 23 with such a holy solemnity of voice and manner as if he felt every word was God's word. Our conversation took the following topics:

that we did not simplify prayers enough;

that it is the lifting of of the heart all of a long that we may be assured walking with God as a friend telling Him everything;

that we lose much by not waiting on Him in following up petition, supposed the salvation of any friend to be ours, to turn the mind to that point during the day;

that we may be assured the closer we walk the more the light of His countenance we shall enjoy;

the ejaculatory prayer, the lifting up of the eye and the realizing the eyes of God upon us, is the great secret of spirituality in social intercourse;

that the deeply spiritual mind cannot be a great talker, because such are watching and cherishing the visits of the Spirit ascending at intervals in all the secret acts of faith and love and praise;

that the expression of the eye tells these breaks off whilst others around them are taken up with present things.

You never find a spiritual Christian late in bed.

Mr. Wigram sees such a want of spirituality in this in the interior state of things as to communion with busy active people – the soul starving amidst the sense of duties.
Mr. Wigram came and sat with me one and a half hours yesterday. I can give you no idea of his prayer.

Every word filled with realizing His presence before whom the angels cover their faces, so hallowed, so happy as if in the presence chamber.

The savour of his two visits I feel at this moment and never can forget the messages of Lord commissioned him to speak to my soul.

Oh! how much did he dwell on the privilege of cultivating the continual presence of Jesus, of living in the Spirit of prayer all the day long.

2006/8/24 19:48Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Mr. J. N. Darby's first impression of Mr. G. V. Wigram, about 1827

Quote:
the ejaculatory prayer, the lifting up of the eye and the realizing the eyes of God upon us, is the great secret of spirituality in social intercourse;

Observing this artilce is like watching men that have risen to heights spiritually with God that I cannot confess to have nearly attained. Lord bring us all to the place where we know we are walking in divine reality, divine communion with you, away with the shallowness of profession and onward to the fullness of possesion, My heart yearns for it.

2006/8/24 20:45Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy