SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Honor to His Name

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mamaluk

Honor to His Name

On a forum such as SI, where the moderators are most zealous of the pursuit of holiness, and where the saints are most knowledgeable in doctrine, I seemed to have noticed something missing. After reading the book by Sir Robert Anderson, "The Honor of His Name," I feel that it's perhaps pleasing to our Lord, to remind ourselves, as 21ST century saints, to utter the name of Jesus Christ by His only rightful title, the Lord Jesus Christ or the Lord Jesus.

In the churches following Christendom, man and woman demonstrate great reverence to their beloved saints, saints who perhaps, carried to their own names with the titles such as Reverend, Elder, Deacon, Pastor, Doctor and so on; not to mention with a great deal more titles in Roman Catholicism. Whether these titles are self-imposed, or bestowed upon them by religious oraganizations or seminaries, each of them will answer to God for carrying such titles for themselves, someday. I refrain to be the judge.

However, when we examine Scripture, the Lord Jesus was addressed while He was on earth as Master, Lord, or Rabbi, even though His rightful title ought to have been King. Further down in the New Testament, we see that The Lord's disciples addressed Him as The Lord, and when we read closer, we notice that Paul addressed Him as the Lord Jesus Christ in almost all instances. Most times when we see The Lord Jesus' name mentioned without the rightful title are when the Holy Spirit Himself writing about Christ in His holy words. It feels to me that only the Holy Spirit has the sole right to address the second Person of the Trinity without the proper title.

Moreover, I find it all too often in our modern day Christian society, that saints would flatter their leaders with titles of all sorts, but when they mention our Lord Jesus, they would be all too comfortable to address Him by just "Jesus". For example, some churches require laymen to address their preachers or pastors by either Reverend or Pastor, but never mind about the title of The Lord. Or one would say, "Dr./Reverend xyz said......and then Jesus said", or one would hear some elders quoting words from Reverend so and so, but the Lord Jesus remains, only, just Jesus.

I hope that I will not be judged by my brethren here on SI to be too critical or judgmental, I've been thinking and praying about this for a couple of months now, how wonderful it would be to see the saints here reverencing Christ with His rightful title, The Lord Jesus Christ, just as his disciples and the apostles did.

Holiness without reverence to His Name just doesn't seem fit.

Lastly, Robert Anderson's "The Honor of His Name," can be read at http://www.newble.co.uk/anderson/honour/prefchap1.html

Let not my words be a criticism but a sincere exhortation to you, for my name is nothing, I am nothing, let His name be properly honored and uttered, Christ is Everything.

~mamaluk

2006/8/23 23:06Profile

Re: Honor to His Name

Hi mamaluk,

I'm interested in your thesis here, as it is a good practice to feel reverence towards the Lord from our real hearts. I wonder if this really is missing, or simply unexpressed? Perhaps there is something of both.

Quote:
find it all too often in our modern day Christian society, that saints would flatter their leaders with titles of all sorts, but when they mention our Lord Jesus, they would be all too comfortable to address Him by just "Jesus".

Well, when I began reading Matthew a few months ago, I was very surprised to find him referring to the Lord many times as just 'Jesus'. This made me appreciate the humanity of the Word made Flesh in a new way. Then, near the end of his gospel, when the angel speaks to the women, he said (Matt 28:6) 'He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay' and that use of 'the Lord' hit me like a ton of bricks in its context of His having overcome death .... yet, I looked back and found it was not the first time Matthew had called him 'Lord'.

Quote:
it would be to see the saints here reverencing Christ with His rightful title, The Lord Jesus Christ, just as his disciples and the apostles did.

I feel this could become just [i][b]form[/b][/i], and it is important to be free in the Spirit to communicate in a family way. But, I hear what you are saying, and I'd suggest an [i]attitude[/i] of reverence should come through what is being said, however we refer to the Lord (Jesus), when He is mentioned.

2006/8/24 6:38

Thanks for that "heads up" reminder, mama. I have been very insensitive/ignorant/careless to that for most of my life.

Funny thing, something inside me knew it. I was intimidated to withhold because my crowd was of the same insensitive thread of un-recognized, un-crucified self... However, lately I have been sensitive/desirous to speak His full title and I am beginning to see something opening up to me; something I have been looking for.

Looking back and because you bring it to my remembrance, I can attribute it to wanting Him more than anything else in my life. I want no less now but then, as I recall, my sensitivities were especially energized to intimacy sporadic. In being so then, there was a reciprocal from the Holy Spirit that quickened in me; was quickened to me, at that moment. It was a most tenderness of feeling; of contriteness within me that was not there before when I didn't preface His name with "Lord". I knew I was clean.

With your admonishment, I can see that loving the Lord with all our mind, soul, body and strength should produce most consistently from our mouth, His full title. If we do "confess" in that vein and it will be the Holy Spirit, He is faithful to confirm and affirm our disposition in Him. He cannot deny Himself. This is union with Him. One might even conclude this to be a test to reveal our true allegiance to Him that we might correct any deficiency in us.

When referring to Him, can we speak His full title to our friends and loved ones -- in the market place, to the world? The scripture says that no one can call Him Lord but by the Holy Spirit. And when he does call Him Lord in everyday conversation, there will follow a change in the atmosphere others will recognize and be affected.

And is this not the key to our understanding 1 John and also how our love to one another will be a reciprocal love? Something happens when we speak of "The Lord Jesus Christ" in public because it is now the testimony of Him that, spoken in so few words, reveals Him in us to the world. In addition, we will overcome by the same words of that testimony. Point is, can we truly use those words? Are we ashamed to? That title should bring conviction to speaker as well as the hearer of those words should something be lacking and thus, incompatible.

Anyone can call Him Jesus, even Satan does that. We are known by Him when we call Him Lord and do His great commandment. There can be no presumption in this for intimacy with Him to be a reality.

Wherefore I give you to understand,.......that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 1 Cor. 12:3 (KJV)

I see something here for which I thank you and may my life reflect this word to me as I am given the privilege to learn to fully use His name.

How can one have intimacy with the Lord if he neglects so great [salvation] the priviledge given him?

God Bless you,

Orm

2006/8/24 6:58
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I hear this theme raised from time to time and it always puzzles me. If you have an computer Bible programme please copy these references into it..

Acts 1:1,11,16; 2:32; 4:2,13,18,27,30; 5:30; 7:55; 8:35; 13:33; 17:7,18; 19:15; 28:23; Rom 3:26; 2Cor 4:11; Eph 4:21; Phil 2:10; 1Th 1:10; 4:14; Heb 2:9; 4:14; 6:20; 7:22; 10:19; 12:2,24; 13:12; 1John 4:15; 5:5; Rev 14:12; 17:6; 19:10; 22:16

They are instances of the name of 'Jesus' being used without the additional titles of Lord or Christ. Does Anderson address this?

2006/8/24 7:32Profile
Spitfire

As I read through your post, a couple of thoughts were coming to my mind. This may seem off the wall, but a scripture, "familiarity breeds contempt", which I understand that to mean that it's possible to become too lacks in our comfortableness with one another. The other thought which came to my mind is this: In our society today there is this hidden message being broadcast that nobody is better than you. But, the scripture says that no man should think more highly of himself than he ought. But...let each consider others better than themselves. There really has been this growing pride in our modern society that has infiltrated the Church. Love, Dian.

2006/8/24 7:33Profile

Re:

I don't believe it is a question of right and wrong so much as it being the revelation of Jesus Christ within one who PROFESSES to be a Christian.

Can He speak "The Lord Jesus Christ" in truthfulness/without conviction?

2006/8/24 7:57
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

Having been raised Catholic, I have a rich heritage in "reverence" for God and His presence in my life. I have long found this sorely lacking among modern protestants, even some ancient ones.
Can you imagine being around the "Holy of Holies" back in the desert? Well, I'm sure you can understand the "awe" they must have felt. What happened? We are the "Holy of Holies". Where is the reverence? Where is the awe? Where is the respect for other "Holies" and where is the respect for ourselves?
You can swell with pride if you like. You can scream grace from the housetops. But if you are honest, you know what I'm saying is true. I do believe this is what the originator of this post is after.

Humbly before Him,

"O"

2006/8/24 8:15Profile

Re:

Quote:

Onesimus4God wrote:
Having been raised Catholic, I have a rich heritage in "reverence" for God and His presence in my life. I have long found this sorely lacking among modern protestants, even some ancient ones.
Can you imagine being around the "Holy of Holies" back in the desert? Well, I'm sure you can understand the "awe" they must have felt. What happened? We are the "Holy of Holies". Where is the reverence? Where is the awe? Where is the respect for other "Holies" and where is the respect for ourselves?
You can swell with pride if you like. You can scream grace from the housetops. But if you are honest, you know what I'm saying is true. I do believe this is what the originator of this post is after.

Humbly before Him,

"O"

I don't believe so because we are not the "Holy of Holies". Though we are supposed to be the temple for the Holy Ghost to dwell, we are not the Holy Ghost as you seem to imply. However, I could take this to be a warning for me to be on guard for what I take into myself, lest I violate Him who indwells me. If this is what you mean, I agree.

What do you mean by this,
Quote:
Where is the respect for other "Holies" and where is the respect for ourselves?

With respect,

Orm

2006/8/24 8:33
mamaluk

Re:

Dear Ron,

If you have time, please do read R.Anderson's little booklet. He did a much better job than what I tried to say. My English is so bad that I would only mislead you further. (I asked my daughter to edit the original post for me with its grammar :) )

But let me try, 'Jesus' was used, in almost all instances where the Holy Spirit and the Disciples were describing His movements or words conducted while He was on earth. Even so, in the Pauline epistles, one can see, Paul addressed Him as The Lord Jesus Christ.

I came across a Greek Scholar's writing ,the difference between Jesus Christ and Christ Jesus is, the former a name used before crucification, a sort of of 'accursed name', as He was a man to be hung, while the latter, is the name post resurrection.

Of course, one can argue over this to The Lord's return, for me, it is more so a matter of personal conviction on the one hand, and love and reverence for our Lord on the other.

When an old saint corrected me on this years ago, I was not happy or comfortable at all, I even saw that siant as prideful, but then it just grew and grew on me, till I studied R.A.' booklet, I understood, and from that point on, not only do I not want to eliminate His title, but dont dare.

Ormly noticed and apparently understood in that instance where demons called Him 'jesus' in one of the Gospel Books. THanks for bringing it out.

There's a whole study of this issue also by EWBullinger in one of his articles, very interesting. He teaches the differences between the usages of Jesus, Jesus Christ, Christ Jesus, ...and also the many differet names of Jehovah, such as Eli, Jahwai, Adonai, ......

Freedom of spirit, at large, if it's of the Holy Spirit, He will always instruct us with the Scripture pertaining everything. But if it's of other spirits, that's how we hear " yo, bro, big guy, big man......." everywhere these days.

mamaluk

2006/8/24 9:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

by mamaluk on 2006/8/24 14:16:49

Quote:
If you have time, please do read R.Anderson's little booklet. He did a much better job than what I tried to say. My English is so bad that I would only mislead you further. (

I will try to get to it. I am certainly not advocating what one old English preacher used to refer to as the slide from Almighty to All-Maty. It is just that 'Jesus' is such a precious and God given designation of who He is. In thousands of temptations I have breathed that name; Saviour. I have run into that name and have been safe.

I do believe that there is a significance in the order of Christ Jesus and Jesus Christ. Unfortunately this distinction is often obscurred in my KJV. E W Bullinger has some good points but everything he wrote is so convoluted that it is easy to become 'dead right'; right and dead at the same time.

I delight in each each truth of the phrase "Christ Jesus our Lord" but we ought not to frighten people off from calling upon the name of the Lord; Jesus. I just want to be sure we don't cut folk off from the simplicity that is in Christ. Suppliants to great monarchs would couch their words in whole lists of titles... Our Lord said when ye pray say 'Our Father...' That is sublime in its simplicity and is not dishonouring to the King of the Universe.

2006/8/24 12:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy