Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Companion Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Companion Bible

I have been using the Companion Bible in my personal studies and devotions and have found alot of the helps extremely useful.

btw - there is no subsitution for prayer and the teaching of the holy spirit even though he uses helps, commentaries, etc.

[img]http://64.95.118.51/images/opti/fd/4d/0825420997-resized200.jpg[/img]

2003/7/11 23:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Introduction

Forum users might be interested to know that The Companion Bible 198 Appendices (aka Bullinger's) are now available for users of the Online Bible - free of charge. Just download from the OnlineBible web site.
More info if needed.
His/Yours
Ron

2003/7/28 11:07Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

heres a link to the appendixs to the Companion Bible online (an great resource!).
[url=http://www.therain.org/appendixes/]Appendixes To The Companion Bible[/url]

2003/11/30 21:08Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

I would like to make the members here aware of the site: www.thecompanionbible.com it is an effort to produce an HTML edition of the companion bible. Complete with Bible text side notes and links to the relevent appendix from the side notes. (those who use the CB will know what i am talking about). Its a corporate effort so people can sign up and take on board some work. The finished product will be freely available and should put an excellent study tool into more people's hands.

So what are you waiting for, roll up roll up...

2003/12/9 10:44Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I would like to make the members here aware of the site: www.thecompanionbible.com

YES! that is a great work that they are doing. It's not easy replicating the Companion Bible because it has so many small characters and symbols it uses. They are much farther to completing the project then when I last looked. Check it out forsure ;-)

2003/12/9 10:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I have posted this elsewhere but thought I should add it here. I have just read the Carey biography of Bullinger. It is an interesting read but disturbing too. His whole life was one controversy after another. Bullinder seems to have been a generous and friendly character but when he held a principle 'he took no prisoners'. He was a lodge Master of an Orange Order and he was the most extreme of all the dispensationalists. Believing that the whole period of the Acts was 'before the church'. He saw Acts as the record of God's work among the Jews. This had other implications in that he only regarded the Epistles that were written after Acts as pertaining to the Church. Consequently he rejected water baptism and breaking of bread, and all manifestation of spiritual gifts.

There are similarities in consequence as with Darby's 'ruined church' ideas. That only parts of the New Testament are directly relevant to the current church, the original having been irrevocably ruined.

[b]Bullinger's Bible study tools are still valuable but the conclusion he came to were decisively rejected in his own day and subsequently.[/b] By all means use the website (I shall) but be cautious in embracing his theology.

Ethelbert William Bullinger was born on December 15 in Canterbury, England. He was a direct descendent of Johann Heinrich Bullinger, a theologian who succeeded Zwingli in Zurich in December of 1531. Educated at King's College, London, he was a recognized scholar in the field of biblical languages. The Archbishop of Canterbury granted him an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in 1881 in recognition of his biblical scholarship.

E.W. Bullinger was noted broadly for three works: A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament (1877); for his ground-breaking and exhaustive work on Figures of Speech Used in the Bible (1898); and as the primary editor of The Companion Bible (published in 6 parts, beginning in 1909; the entire annotated Bible was published posthumously in 1922). All three of these works, along with numerous of his books and pamphlets, remain in print (2003).

He was hyper-dispensational, seeing specific and different church dispensations in Acts and the Pastoral letters. Bullinger's knowledge of scripture and language was amazing but if there is an off-beat way of understanding something, Bullinger will always go for it. He believed (and could prove) that there were 5 crosses on Calvary. His work of the gospel of the stars was typical of the appendices to his Companion Bible. Amazing erudition but dubious conclusion.

2004/11/15 6:42Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

A dear brother gave me one of these Bibles this year as a gift. It is a tremendous resource to have in hand.

2004/11/15 8:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy