SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Left Behind or Dominion theology?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

I am personally still awating the return of the Lord Jesus in a pre-tribulation rapture. I have many dear, godly friends, however, who hold to a post tribulation view. This could be seen as dominion theology. Although I disagree, doctrinally, I have seen a wonderful trait that these dear brothers and sisters carry that we may adopt. Instead of hiding out, expecting nothing but deception and darkness, they are still passionately praying for and expecting revival and great harvest. Many Pre-Trib rapture proponents look at the end of the age as being only a time of great deception and heresy. While Jesus told us plainly these things will run rampant, are we to forget the glorious promise of Joel 2:28-? That in the last days God would pour out His Spirit followed by miraculous signs, prophetic utterances, and mass harvest? Yes that prophecy BEGAN to be fulfilled on Pentecost - and yes the early church saw THEMSELVES as that generation. They also saw themselves as being in the foretold time of deception. They were able to live in light of both! There would be both great darkness, and Great light! In the last days, both the darkness and the light will be at full strength!
One character trait of "Dominionists" that I like - it is their lack of pessimism and hopelessness concerning the future. They are truly expecting revival and transformation. They like Gideon have gotten out of the winepress of survival and have taken on the identity, of a "mighty warrior".
So although I disagree with the theology , I do find redeemable traits!
Praise God!
Jeff

2006/8/22 12:50Profile
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"I don't think it does. I think basically it means 'God's Rule'. Domain gives the inevitable flavour of territory whereas 'rule' concentrates on the 'Ruler'."

Is "territory" a bad flavour?

Also, I'm just speaking in terms of the word "kingdom" itself. Not necessarily the implications biblically (although clearly that's relevant here), but just the word itself.

king-dom ([b]king[/b]'s [b]dom[/b]ain)

Isn't this correct? Isn't the "dom" part of the word connected to "domain/dominate/dominion"? Same root?

2006/8/24 13:58Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

todd on 2006/8/24 18:58:17

Quote:
Isn't this correct? Isn't the "dom" part of the word connected to "domain/dominate/dominion"? Same root?

Vine's Expository Dictionary has basileia is primarily an abstract noun, denoting "sovereignty, royal power, dominion," e.g., Rev_17:18, translated "(which) reigneth," lit., "hath a kingdom" (RV marg.); then, by metonymy, a concrete noun, denoting the territory or people over whom a king rules, e.g., Matt_4:8; Mark_3:24. It is used especially of the "kingdom" of God and of Christ...The issue here is that our word 'king-dom' has been used to translate basileia and a better word might have been 'kingly-rule'. This is one of the reasons we dare not get our theology from the Dictionary. ;-)

Behind my pedantry ;-) was the thought 'does the New Testament show the slightest interest in location, territory, earthly dominion?'

2006/8/24 14:41Profile
todd

California

Re:

Point taken Ron, concerning the english word "kingdom."

To answer your thought, the first thing that came to mind was Jesus' teaching/instruction to pray for "on earth as in Heaven." Second thought- what an Apostle is and their function. More thoughts coming as I process, but I'll leave it at that for now.

2006/8/24 16:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy