SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Left Behind or Dominion theology?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sonofadam777

Rochester, New York

Left Behind or Dominion theology?

Left Behind theology or Dominion theology?

How are we as Christians are we supposed to "take Dominion" as stated in Genesis or are we supposed to just "preach the gospel while waiting until Jesus returns?"

For about 15 years I have been a part of churches that hold to covenant, dominion, "reformed" theology that teaches, we are to make disciples and take dominion on the earth, but they never talked about salvation, repentance, born again; just discipleship and taking "dominion". Is this theology Biblical??

Are Christians supposed to be taking dominion by making lots of money or just live in poverty and "preach the gospel?” what are you or your listener’s thoughts?

Thanks. Doug

2006/8/21 12:38Profile
MR_CPK

Indiana

Re: Left Behind or Dominion theology?

I use to be a part of the dominion/covenant/word of faith theology(Even started school at Rhema Bible Training Center) but the Lord led me away(now at a Calvary Chapel) I think they(dominon folks) are very good with scripture and justifying the theology and I believe there is a lot of truth to it..but at the same time over the years the Lord revealed to me His heart wasn't in me taking "dominion" over the earth but in preaching Christ and Him crucified. I believe in dominion but there is one thing I know I can do down here on earth that I can't do in heaven and that is preach the way of salvation to a lost person and I know that's what the Lord is most concerned with. The devil is always trying to get the church off on a rabbit trail and this is just another.

2006/8/21 13:20Profile
todd

California

I was brought up in Calvary Chapel when I first got right with God about 5 years ago, and then only in the last couple years or so have I even been exposed to, and started to consider, this idea of dominion.

There's likely truths in both camps. At present I am starting to lean more towards dominion. I think I basically see that as praying and going after God's Kingdom coming and His will being done on earth as in Heaven. Isn't this what Jesus told His disciples to go after?

Seeking first the Kingdom. Establishing the Kingdom, on earth as in Heaven. I've heard that the word "kingdom" basically means "King's domain." So it's where the King dominates or has [i]dominion[/i]. And as His ambassadors we have the priviledge of going about establishing the King's dominion throughout the earth, making it "as in Heaven."

It seems that seeking this can have a great variety of manifestations. For one person I suppose it might mean making lots of money, and for another it might mean preaching the gospel. For some, couldn't it mean both? They make lots of money [i]and[/i] preach the gospel?

2006/8/21 14:29Profile
Santana

Re:

Can you please define dominion for me?

2006/8/21 15:29Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'm not sure what individual theologies of dominion might be manifesting in the various congregations represented here, so I cannot comment on if their theological system concerning it is biblical or not.

Daniel 2 prophesies of a kingdom made without hands (a spiritual kingdom) that would be setup here on earth. This kingdom was inaugurated with the coming of Christ, who taught from the onset of His ministry "repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." This kingdom is the sphere in which Christ has authority and exercises His power. Through means of the new birth, the sphere of Christ's reign is extended here on earth, where Christ rules and reigns through our individual lives. This rule is extended one person at a time through the preaching and believing of the gospel. Whoever establishes Christ as Lord of their life, this is where the kingdom of God has dominion.

I regret to say I must leave this post sooner than anticipated, but am content with what I have posted here. For further study, there is a great book out there called "The Gospel of the Kingdom" by George Ladd. It is a short bible study on the nature of God's kingdom, and have found it to be as the British would say, "spot on" in regard to most of what the author has to say regarding God's dominion.

2006/8/21 17:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I've heard that the word "kingdom" basically means "King's domain."

I don't think it does. I think basically it means 'God's Rule'. Domain gives the inevitable flavour of territory whereas 'rule' concentrates on the 'Ruler'.

2006/8/22 6:18Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Quote:

sonofadam777 wrote:
For about 15 years I have been a part of churches that hold to covenant, dominion, "reformed" theology that teaches, we are to make disciples and take dominion on the earth, but they never talked about salvation, repentance, born again; just discipleship and taking "dominion". Is this theology Biblical??

Are Christians supposed to be taking dominion by making lots of money or just live in poverty and "preach the gospel?” what are you or your listener’s thoughts?

I think that you have raised two separate issues here. Firstly, I'll address the second (yeah, I'm confused by this too). Many try to argue whether we should be rich or poor. To this I say, "No". It's not whether the Christian is [b]in the money[/b] or not, but whether the money is [b]in the Christian[/b]. Rich or poor, it doesn't matter, as long as it is to the glory of God.

Secondly, Dominion Theology. I think it was Ron Bailey who raised an interesting point, how can we manifest the Kingdom of God in the Earth, when God's Kingdom can only be seen by those who are bor again (from above - John 3:3)? Let God rule in your life, and God will rule your circumstances. Other than that, stay tuned for the "times and seasons" (that are) under the authority of the Father. That's when Christ's Kngdom shall be manifest on the Earth. In the meantime, "be sober and vigilant, for your advessary, the devil walketh about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he can devour."

2006/8/22 8:37Profile

Re:

Dominion Theology sounds to me to be a lot like "Manifest Sons of God" theology which is preached by many WOF'ers, Rick Joyner, etc. I used to attend a church that was a part of MorningStar (Rick Joyner) and they taught that there would be no Rapture (pre, post or otherwise) but that the Church would get stronger and stronger until eventually we would set up the Kingdom of God on earth, at which time we would welcome Christ in His coming as King to reign on earth.

Thank God He delivered me from that garbage. All one needs to do is read the Bible and most false teachings like that fall to the way side.

If Dominion Theology is saying the same things... reject it. In Genesis we are given dominion over the earth as caretakers. But a caretaker is not an OWNER. It belongs to God.

Krispy

2006/8/22 9:11
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

The kingdom of God is righteousness, heart peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost (Rom 14:17)

Jesus said that not everyone who cries "Lord, Lord" will enter in, but those who DO the will of the Father.

Is this important? It is to me. So what is the will of the Father for my life. Well, it is personal and unigue, like my relationship with Him. However, I do believe that the will of God for us all is within the two scripture texts. The first is Isaiah 58, the whole chapter, and the other is Matthew 25:31-46.

In the text in Matthew, Jesus says that He will use this criteria to divide the nations as a Shepherd would divide the sheep from the goats. Please note carefully that none of the aboved posted theology is mentioned. In fact, little of what most people call church is mentioned. Should we not be concerned about what is important to God?

Immersed in His grace,

"O"

2006/8/22 11:11Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

Do a search on {Dominion Theology}. Check out what Wickopedia says.

2006/8/22 11:37Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy