SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : christian tattos?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

christian tattos?

is thre such a thing? myself have many tattos made before i came to christ... then whit sorrow in my heart it struck me whit what i had done to my body...i cryed over this and for a wile i was wondering if it was a sin...but then i read somewhere in leviticus or numbers i think that one should never do such a thing... even worse i thought was that i have a big dragon on my back... thinking of what dragon refering in the bible in some places... but i belive that to was forgiven by our lord jesus that day i recived a new heart...but im wondering becuse i saw on an internet page that they had thease...

i belive i was grived by the holy spirit when i relized what i had done to my body that was given me by god, now i can understand wordly people doing this...but christians? is it scriptual? i know some defend them...but then i think if its ok to have a tatto..? then why cant people do cosmetic surgery? if you make a tatto to improve your looks or to make a statement or whatever...can we change our apperence in other ways to?

i belive we should accept our bodys as they are... such as god gave us...

im just intrested to hear what others think of this.

gods peace to you
christian

2006/8/19 14:15Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re: christian tattos?

If somebody came by and wrote something on the side of my house, i definitely wouldn't appreciate it. If we write something on the temple of the Holy Ghost, i find it hard to see how He would appreciate it.

Quote:
i belive we should accept our bodys as they are... such as god gave us...

Amen brother.

2006/8/19 15:32Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Leviticus 19:28
" 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:27-29 (in Context) Leviticus 19 (Whole Chapter)

2006/8/19 15:42Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

thats the verse i was talking about... people have a hard time sometimes accepting that there are things we have to let go when we follow christ..... one cant really carry much more than a cross

2006/8/19 16:18Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Dear Christian,
It's only by the grace of God that I never got a tattie. Where I came from, it's like a trend that took off again in the 1990s...especially with women. I don't know what the motives are for unbelievers getting one(peer-pressure,etc), but as believers, we are called a people out of the world by God, to not live as the world lives but to live as the Holy Spirit directs us which will not contradict the laws of God. Praise the Lord that you're broken over your past sins brother, for this is an act of God because He loves you. May you be a beautiful testimony to others brother of the grace of Christ Jesus. People who call themselves Christians and want to get a tattoo, should really examine themselves in light of Scripture, and I believe they will if they love God and God has given them wisdom. Impatince, rebellion, coveteousness, lack of self-control...these qualities are definitely not of God or from God.
Let us continue to stand against the wiles of pop-culture, and no longer act as we once did in our ignorance...for God has called us to holiness. May the Lord bless you as you continue to seek hard after him brother,
richie
Psalm 25

2006/8/19 17:22Profile

Re: christian tattos?

hmmhmm said

Quote:
now i can understand wordly people doing this...but christians? is it scriptual? i know some defend them...

I think there's a big difference between a Christian whose tattoos pre-date his conversion to Christ, and a professing Christian getting a tattoo. I can't see any scriptural reason to support it.

The cutting of the body is often part of initiation rituals in pagan cultures. One of the most cojent comments I heard from a Christian against this, and the use of henna for painting on the body (hands, feet), is that these activities mean something to Satan. They also are an abuse of our time, and in no way glorify God.

I thought Joe's point about the body being the temple of the Holy Ghost is something Christians need to take far more seriously.

Perhaps the doctrine that our bodies are rotten because of sin and virtually useless to God, insinuates that 'the temple of the Holy Spirit' is a purely spiritual fact. I would contend that our bodies themselves are being quickened (Romans 8:11), if we are walking in the Spirit, and that new birth stops the rot. EMPHATICALLY new birth stops the rot. Otherwise, what is salvation about, if it is not about ceasing from and being delivered from sin NOW?

If our bodies are capable of ceasing from sin and starting to WALK and LIVE in RIGHTEOUSNESS, then they are a substantial part of our testimony to God that we accept the changes He wants to make in us, right down to working it out through our flesh. Isn't this what James is on about when he says

James 2:18
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and [b]I will shew thee my faith [u]by[/u] my works[/b].

Earlier in the week, I was musing on the truth in Ephesians 2

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, [b]which God hath before ordained[/b] that we should walk in them.

It came to me in light of them, that walking in good works is qualified by what God has ordained. We can't just think up good - even very worthwhile - activities, and expect God to bless us in them (though He may do because of His grace); we have to find out [i][b]from Him[/i][/b] what He has ordained for our lives, and go do that with all our heart, trusting Him to enable us to please Him.

Or, we are in danger of being amongst those in Matt 7 (KJV)

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24 Therefore whosoever [b]heareth[/b] these sayings of mine, [b]and doeth them[/b], I will liken him unto [b]a wise man, which built his house upon [u]a rock[/u][/b]:

2006/8/20 9:18
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

You know this is a tough one, Personally I don't have any tattoos but I wonder if your tattoos are like your sin was before you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior, after you accepted Christ he erased your sins he don't even see or remember them anymore.
I personally feel he doesn't even see those tattoos anymore, he see's your heart and even though we continue to sin he still forgives us so even though you still have the tattoos he continues to forgive you for those and I don't think they will have "any" effect on his Love or his will for you, and you should never lets those tattoos make you feel any condemnation forget about you even have them Jesus did! remember there is "no" condemnation for those who are in Christ.
Brother Bill

2006/8/20 12:16Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well i belive and think as you do bill....
but i saw on another website they were making a photo gallery of christian tattos...
that got me wondering again... my conviction for my tattos came shortly after i was converted... it wasent so much conviction as it was grief over what i had done to my body given to me by our god, i dident know when i did it what i was doing..but sometimes when relizes what we have done...it can cause great grief... i think you understand.

gods peace to you

2006/8/20 12:44Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy