SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The 'great commission' and it's 'accepting jesus' gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mamaluk

The 'great commission' and it's 'accepting jesus' gospel

Quote Philologos:

It's part of the ego-centricity which causes us to say "accept Jesus as your personal Saviour". The truth is that the Father has accepted Him as my personal Saviour. That does not mean I have no response to make; I must respond, I must believe and God's truth, the Gospel, as you say, then becomes 'my truth', 'my gospel'.

Thankyou Ron.

I so much appreciate the above quote. It makes a lot of sense. Since when salvation comes by ' accepting Jesus? ' How on earth can sinners accept a holy and fearful GOD. It's God who accepts us through the belief on the LORD Jesus Christ. Not just 'Jesus', the LORD Jesus Christ. According to:

[b]Acts 15:11
But we BELIEVE that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
Acts 16:31
And they said, BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.[/b]

CHRIST is to be believed not only as any saviour but as the LORD and SAVIOUR.

As for the 'great commission', was it not a charge to the 12 and the 70 to spread the [b]Gospel of the Kingdom to Israel[/b], with Christ being their King as the Messiah? The gospel saying " Repent and be water baptized"? Repenting from idolatry against JEHOVAH and believing JESUS CHRIST as their rightful KING and SAVIOUR.

While the gospel Paul preached was a [b]Gospel of grace to Gentiles[/b], " Believe .....and you shall be saved", hereafter baptized by the Holy Spirit?That this Christ is to be our LORD AND SAVIOUR, and in HIM, we are adopted to become God's children. While all believers' calling is to be witness and "ambassadors of CHRIST" to the world? Evangelizing by our testimonies in faith and in lifestyle?

No doubt, both Gospels have the headship rest with the LORD JESUS CHRIST, as King and Lord to those who believe.

Saviourship without Lordship, may be that's why we have this madness all around.

I would surely like to read more input on this.

mamaluk

2006/8/18 15:34Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: The 'great commission' and it's 'accepting jesus' gospel

well its many who accept jesus into "their heart" but how do they know jesus has accepted them ? i see so many that just think becuse they see some bibleverse and belive in it then thats it...i did that... ohh ive done that...

im just so tired right now on that everyone you talk to is a sqripture expert that have discoverd something in sqripture that they think former belivers just missed for 2000 years..and that they can "twist" the gospel to whatever seems right.... there are so many books that says this is what it meens in sqripture... often they cause more cunfusion then clear things out...for me i more like reading godly men that thru their lifes showed christ to the world....
and some teaching is good...but now days for me as a new beliver its a theolgical jungle.

but there is to much of this accept christ gospel. Ive acepted him i belive it to be true now i live my life as i see fit.....

there are going to be many suprises on that last day i belive... reidhead said there are going to many many who going to miss salvation by 18 inches...from their head to their heart in an spiritual experience, i belive he has a point there...

gods peace to you
christian

2006/8/18 16:28Profile
mamaluk

Re:

hmmhmm,

The English word 'accept' has been applied to the way of salvation for quite a long time in the English-speaking world, since my mother-tongue is not English, accepting Christ stands out quite differently to believing or receiving Christ.

When Philologos made the remark on this point, it rang a bell in my mind, that, may be the Gospel should be preached according to the Bible, even Word for Word.

Again, to accept a holy and solemn God from a sinner's part does sound a bit 'arrogant' or 'egocentric', but i do reckon it's the heart of the believer that God sees, and the repentant and trusting attitude that pleases Him, more so than just for me to pick on the usage of this word.

The Holy Spirit enables one to believe the Gospel by faith, while, to push someone to accept 'Jesus' with pressure is an entirely different matter.

I post this thread sincerely wanting to hear different stance or views from the saints on SI, not to challenge or criticize anyone's usage of this word, really.

God is not a God of confusion, in my mind, it will be more appropriate to just preach with Scripture and with Biblical terms and phrases.

Again, salvation is of the LORD, the Holy Spirit testifies to the believer's heart according to the Word. Even if the word 'accept' is used incorrectly, the Holy Spirit will no doubt correct such.

Christian, please don't let my post confuse you, toss it out of your mind. :)

God bless

2006/8/18 16:59Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The 'great commission' and it's 'accepting jesus' gospel

mamaluk's

Quote:
I would surely like to read more input on this.

I expressed my thoughts on this a little while back in a paper called [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=14601]Receiving Christ[/url] which Greg has archived here on SI

2006/8/19 4:10Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Thanks a lot Ron.

"It is the indwelling [b]Holy Spirit alone[/b] who can bear witness to the believer. Others may give their opinions, and we may even have our own opinion, but the last word must belong to God Himself; If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater. These verses are closely linked. God has borne witness to His Son. Those uniquely commissioned as eye-witnesses have borne witness to the Son; John is one of them. The Holy Spirit bears witness to the Son. The Holy Spirit bears witness to true faith in the heart of the believer. There are no human uncertainties here. The ‘one believing into the Son of God’ has the witness within him. This is how I may know… I will know. The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: (Rom 8:16 ASV)"

The Holy Spirit alone who can bear witness, may I add [b]with His Word?[/b] :)

Ephesians 2:8-9 (King James Version)

[b] 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that [i]not of yourselves[/i]: it is the gift of God: [/b]

One can manipulate another's 'salvation' by misquoting and distorting Scriptures for sure, as Satan did with our Lord in the wilderness. With all the 'ministries' that have been pressured into the evangelical public, a 'Christian' is made to feel inferior if one doesn't own or involve in any kind of 'ministry'. The pressure to succeed in turn brings about any self-choosing tools, one of which includes the alteration of Scripture.

The root of this pseudo-salvation lays in pride, really. The pride of those who claim to be evangelists, and the pride of those who are pressured into acceptance. The prior claim the power of God and success, while the latter try to gratify their self-esteem.

This is why, I think, when 'believe' is replaced by 'accept', makes the salvation process more feasible or more attractive. Human nature dictates, one likes to see what one can do, rather than what God can do, it's an issue of control. Believing involves the heart, while accepting needs only to involve the head.

Here's where I find myself very grateful to John Calvin/Luther for their works in bringing out sovereign grace, Grace alone, Scripture alone, Faith alone. ( not trying to propagate any 'isms' here :) )

I hope that y'all will read Ron's article in this prior post. Thanks again.

mamaluk

2006/8/19 9:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy