SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Billy Graham says unbelievers may be saved without faith in Jesus Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Billy Graham says unbelievers may be saved without faith in Jesus Christ

In an interview published in Newsweek magazine, August 14, Billy Graham confirmed his misguided opinion that men might be saved without faith in Jesus Christ. When asked whether he believes heaven will be "closed to Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or secular people," Graham replied: "Those are decisions only the Lord will make. It would be foolish for me to speculate on who will be there and who won't ... I don't want to speculate about all that. I believe the love of God is absolute. He said he gave his Son for the whole world, and I think he loves everybody regardless of what label they have" ("Pilgrim's Progress," Newsweek, Aug. 14, 2006).

No one would disagree that God will make the decision about man's eternal destiny, but the fact is that He has already made that decision and has revealed it in the Scriptures. It is not speculation to believe the Bible. God does indeed love all sinners and Christ died to make it possible for them to be saved, but the other side of the coin is that only those who repent and trust Christ will be saved. Nothing is more plainly stated in Scripture.

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him" (John 3:26).

"He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life" (1 John 5:12).

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned" (Mark 16:15-16).

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8).

"How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him" (Hebrews 2:3).

"See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven" (Hebrews 12:25).

The second chapter of Ephesians describes the condition of every individual apart from regenerating faith in Jesus Christ. They are "dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph. 2:1); they walk "according to the prince of the power of the air" (Eph. 2:2); they are "by nature the children of wrath" (Eph. 2:3); they have "no hope" and are "without God in the world" (Eph. 2:12).

Without faith in Jesus Christ, there is no hope. That is the teaching of God's Word, and it is every evangelist's responsibility to warn the people to be saved before it is eternally too late.

Krispy

2006/8/18 8:09

Re: Billy Graham says unbelievers may be saved without faith in Jesus Christ

Krispy,

I wonder whether Billy Graham was showing the maturity of years in his response to that question. Of course, those of us who know the gospel and Jesus Christ have to preach Him and the cross as being the power of God unto salvation, but didn't Paul cover Mr Graham's point just a little further on in Romans, for those who do not hear of Christ despite our best efforts?

Romans 2
12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law

13 (for not the hearers of the law [are] just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;

14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves,

15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves [their] thoughts accusing or else excusing [them)]

16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

I don't believe v 16 is saying they have to have heard of Jesus, but rather, that Jesus will judge the secrets of their minds and hearts - as He will ours who claim to know Him.

2006/8/18 9:06

Re:

Let's assume for a moment that your assertion is correct, Dorcas... I would have to ask this question: Why send missionaries out into lands where they have never heard? Are we not condemning many to hell by doing this?

Following my reasoning here... if a remote tribe has never heard the gospel, or the Law, are we not actually putting them in a position where they are in danger of God's wrath when we present the gospel? Because they may reject it. They would have been better off if we had never come to them.

Jesus commanded us to go into all the world and preach the gospel. Why would He do that if they werent lost and going to hell? A better commandment, according to your thinking, would have been: "Go to those who have heard of the Law of the Prophets and tell them about Me, but in regards to the rest of the world who has never heard... leave them alone... they going to be ok because they havent had an opportunity to reject My gospel."

Jesus said plainly to go into ALL the world. Why? Because they are lost.

John 14:6 [i]"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: [b]no man[/b] cometh unto the Father, but by me."[/i]

Ya know what, my dear friend Dorcas? I believe that means [b]NO[/b] man. I take the Bible quite literally.

I also believe that the sins of the father are visited on subsequent generations. For instance, one of my ancestors fled Scotland for America in the 1600's because he was facing a death penalty for murder. He made it here, and believe it or not he got saved and became a minister. But because of his sin he fled his homeland never to return. As a result of his sin... I'm here. Now, in my case, thats not a bad thing. However, my point is that the things I do today can effect my great-grandchildren for good or for bad.

These people in remote areas of the world are much in the same way living results of past generations. They all came from the same place you and I did... Noah's sons. At some point along the way these remote tribes' ancestors rejected God and went their own way. Now, thousands of years later the decendants of these people are living in total darkness... the sins of the father has been visited upon the sons.

We may not understand how God can hold them accountable for something they have not heard of ... but scripture makes it plain that they are lost, and we are commanded to take the gospel to them. If they were going to be saved without the gospel then Jesus was either wasting His breath, or the Bible is not the Word of God because it is wrong.

Krispy

2006/8/18 9:49

Re: Billy Graham says unbelievers may be saved without faith in Jesus Christ

Quote:
In an interview published in Newsweek magazine, August 14, Billy Graham confirmed his misguided opinion that men might be saved without faith in Jesus Christ. When asked whether he believes heaven will be "closed to Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or secular people," Graham replied: "Those are decisions only the Lord will make. It would be foolish for me to speculate on who will be there and who won't ... I don't want to speculate about all that. I believe the love of God is absolute. He said he gave his Son for the whole world, and I think he loves everybody regardless of what label they have" ("Pilgrim's Progress," Newsweek, Aug. 14, 2006).

No one would disagree that God will make the decision about man's eternal destiny, but the fact is that He has already made that decision and has revealed it in the Scriptures. It is not speculation to believe the Bible. God does indeed love all sinners and Christ died to make it possible for them to be saved, but the other side of the coin is that only those who repent and trust Christ will be saved. Nothing is more plainly stated in Scripture.

Whoa! What about those righteous, meaning anyone who acknowledges the existence of a god and lives righteously by his convictions that validate his life, but never hear of Jesus or Jehovah?

FWIW, Isn't this the group for which a missionary is to be sent to make disciples for Christ?

If we can believe they are already saved by faith in God, whose name they do not know, with their own righteousness as proof of their faith, why go to them with the message of the cross?

Orm

2006/8/18 10:33
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

very sad, if he was indeed quoted correctly by newsweek. In his earlier days, Rev. Graham didn't back down from the exclusivity of the gospel or from proclaiming sin and judgment.

Dorcas, vv.14-15 are not leaving excuse for those that don't hear the law, but rather leaving them condemned because their conscience bears witness that they are lawbreakers, whether they have heard it or not. If they have ever done anything against their conscience, which is the Law of God written on their hearts and minds, they will be found guilty on the great and terrible day of judgment, which is the precise reason that Paul tells us that they can't believe except that they hear, and they can't hear unless people are sent.

You can also think of it this way: the whole earth save 8 people plus scores of generations following were destroyed by God for their sin, despite God not yet giving the Law. Ignorance is no excuse.

This indeed is a very sad day if a man that gave his life for the gospel preaching to millions is now backing off that very gospel. Let us all pray for this matter.

2006/8/18 10:43Profile

Re:

Someone once said... "there are none that are righteous, no... not one."

Krispy

2006/8/18 11:01

Re:

I don't know how to delete a message

2006/8/18 11:12

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Someone once said... "there are none that are righteous, no... not one."

Krispy

Sorry. No scriptures taken out of context need be submitted for argument in this instance..They won't wash.

2006/8/18 11:13
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Why send missionaries out into lands where they have never heard?

Do we send out missionaries so that the lost may be saved or because God has commanded us to go into all the world and make disciples?

2006/8/18 11:17Profile

Re:

Quote:
Sorry. No scriptures taken out of context need be submitted for argument in this instance..They won't wash.

Ummm... not sure whats out of context here. Dorcas was making a point that those who never hear the Word of God are not accountable before God. I know thats a generalization of what she said, but the point is clear.

I differ with that because:

1) God has commanded we go into ALL the world and take the gospel to ALL... (to answer Philogos, we do it because we are to be obedient. But I believe there is an underlying reason why the command was given. I dont think God would command us to do something for absolutely no reason.)

2) The Bible makes it clear that the only way to God is thru His Son, Jesus Christ. Why is that? Because we are ALL law breakers.

and... 3) Proof that everyone person on the face of the earth is a law breakers is this:

Rom 3:9-12 [i]What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, [b]There is none righteous, no, not one[/b]: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.[/i]

This shows EVERYONE's need of a Savior. And that means EVERYONE.

So... before you accuse someone of taking scripture out of context, be sure your reading the posts in context. I dont get bothered by much, but I take scripture very serious and I do the absolute best I can to be sure that I do not take scripture out of context, or twist it, or anything like that. Thats very near and dear to my heart. I'm not claiming perfection, but I take every precaution I can to assure that I dont do that.

Having said that... I love ya, brother.

Krispy

2006/8/18 11:25

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy