SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Nine Lies of Today's Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

The Nine Lies of Today's Church

Hi guys, someone sent me this message. They said they got it off Andrew Strom's website. Thought I would post it here.

THE "NINE LIES" OF TODAY'S CHURCH

It is a sad fact that today's church is deceiving itself in some very crucial areas. Below are some plain facts (-absolutely true) that may shock a few people:

1. "Ask Jesus into your heart" is not in the Bible. Neither is "Give your heart to the Lord", or repeating a "sinner's prayer". These practices do not exist in Scripture at all. The subject of salvation is the most important subject in the Bible and we are being lied to about it. These doctrines are a total fabrication. They were invented to make salvation "quick and convenient". Many church members today who are relying on these things are clearly not 'saved' at all.

2. Church buildings do not exist in the Bible. They were invented around 200-300 AD, when the church was in serious decline. Only a backslidden church could fall so far away from the simplicity of the early church. Church buildings are anti-New Testament, and bring with them a host of problems and traditions. It was basically when the church fell into the hands of Rome that this concept of the "cathedral" really took over. And we are still spending millions on these monuments today.

3. The "one pastor runs everything" model is totally unscriptural. Far from running everything, in the book of Acts we find the word "pastor" NOT EVEN USED ONCE. (-The early church did have strong leaders and elders. But it was never a "one man band" like we see today. And never was it so "controlling" either).

4. "Tithing" is not a New Testament practice at all. And it is being shamefully abused by today's preachers. In the New Testament we are told to give cheerfully - whatever we purpose in our hearts to give. Telling people that they MUST give 10% to the church or they are "robbing God" is totally sick - and a money-grubbing way of twisting Scripture. There is no evidence that the apostles EVER preached 'tithing' to New Testament believers. It was clearly regarded as an Old Testament practice.

5. The words "prosper" or 'prosperity' were NEVER used by Jesus at all - and only exist a couple of times in the entire New Testament. Yet greedy preachers have built whole kingdoms upon them. The words - "sell what you have and give to the poor" and "deceitfulness of riches" and "you cannot serve God and mammon" and "woe to you that are rich" were DEFINITELY used by Jesus and the apostles. But we don't hear these things preached too much, do we?

6. There were no Bible Colleges, Seminaries or degrees in the New Testament. The only people who seemed to have "Bible Schools" were the Scribes and Pharisees! The apostles were simple fishermen and tax collectors. It is likely that a number of them could not even read or write. What was their "qualification" for being in the ministry? Simply that they had SPENT A LOT OF TIME WITH JESUS. The fact that people expect a "professional clergy" today with degrees from Bible College has helped to make the church sicker and more unscriptural than ever. Simple humble people with a calling from God often cannot get to minister because they do not have a "piece of paper" to make them 'qualified'. -Yet another disaster for the church.

7. There is almost no evidence whatsoever that the early church had their "main meeting" on a Sunday. They gathered together 'from house to house' virtually every day! There were no church buildings. They did not dress up and "go to church". There were no denominations. There were no separate groups with different 'labels'. They lived their lives together - all the Christians in the local area. Love and fellowship and 'koinonia' were as natural to them as breathing. And the apostles in Jerusalem preached every day at huge open-air gatherings. -Not "hidden away" inside four walls. This was truly a "street church" in every way.

8. The idea that you can replace the moving of the Holy Spirit with programs, programs and more programs just shows how low we have sunk. Man-made programs are everywhere today. The early church had much more of God and much less of 'man'.

9. We preach a 'humanistic' Jesus today. -A Jesus who exists mainly for our own "happiness". A Santa Claus who wants to rain down continual blessings upon us. A God of grace and mercy without judgement, righteousness or truth. Our gross misrepresentation of who Jesus really is, is one of the most serious offenses of the modern church. Today's church seems to worship a "plastic" Jesus - one that she has made in her own image. What an offense to God.

A lot of preachers are well aware that there is something very wrong with the church today. They know there is little 'fear of the Lord'. They know there is no deep repentance or deep moving of the Holy Spirit. They know that it is just the same old "game" being played every week. A lot of them are very aware of this. But they will not do anything about it. They will not rock the boat. And they will "squash" anyone who comes along trying to do something. They do not want a real "shaking". There is too much to lose. They have their careers and their little 'kingdoms' at stake. This is the real truth of the matter. This is where the rubber truly meets the road.

That is why God is about to bring "Great Reformation". He will not put up with these 'hirelings' any longer. He will not have them as leaders over His people. A lot of them are about to "lose their heads". They will never lead God's people again.

This is what true 'Reformation' is all about. It is the process of replacing the old leadership and the old lies. -It is David taking over from 'Saul'.

There is a 'New Wineskin' coming. In fact it is upon us. There is a new leadership arising - many of them trained in the 'wilderness' for such a time as this. The hour is now here. LET THE NEW LEADERS ARISE! The sad fact is that today's church has sunk so low that it is almost a matter of people needing to be RESCUED OUT OF HER. I never thought I would say something as radical as that, but it is the truth.

Much of the church is living a lie. Many inside her are told continuously that they are "OK" - that they are saved and headed for heaven. Nothing could be further from the truth. Multitudes of them are headed directly for hell. The systemized LYING that is going on has deceived the leaders and the people alike. It is the blind leading the blind. We need to contend for these people - desperately. Much of the church is "lost". They are mired in deception - an entire system of deception.

2006/8/16 0:22Profile
wyattearp

Re: The Nine Lies of Today's Church

I have been saying these types of things contained in your post for years and it is very heartening to me to know that I am not alone in this. Thank you for your post and I say a hearty AMEN!
Wyatt

2006/8/16 0:36Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

We visited this about two years ago.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=1784&forum=34&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0]The NINE LIES of Today's church by Andrew Strom[/url]

2006/8/16 6:39Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Hi Paul,

In fairness and clarification I hope to shed a little light on this article with the backdrop of a couple years of ministry with Andrew. I wish to focus primarily on the ministry at Jurassic Park from 9/05 until he recently moved to Wisconsin.

[i]2. Church buildings do not exist in the Bible. They were invented around 200-300 AD, when the church was in serious decline. Only a backslidden church could fall so far away from the simplicity of the early church. Church buildings are anti-New Testament, and bring with them a host of problems and traditions. It was basically when the church fell into the hands of Rome that this concept of the "cathedral" really took over. And we are still spending millions on these monuments today. [/i]

This cannot be understood to mean that Andrew is preaching against [u]all[/u] 'buildings'. Two specific 'doors' closed to Andrew in Kansas City in a most literal way. Both had serious implications. The first was at the old Metro Christian Fellowship Church, where ministry took place on Sunday evenings (as I recall) in the large cafeteria area. Loosing this facility for gatherings was a tremendous blow as the meetings were quite successful.

Second, was the basement cafeteria we used at Set-Free church across from Jurassic park. In this 'building' we would feed the homeless at a sit-down lunch and minister to them with song and preaching. We found that ministry in the open air was much more challenging than indoors. It was another serious 'blow' when that door closed.

It is impossible for me to think of Andrew as 'anti-building'. He is anti- 'excessive buildings'. Functionality is the key. Experience has proven that in order to minister to large groups of people you have to have a facility to do it. Even the disciples ministered in the Temple and that has a building with a roof, etc. I hope Andrew will revisit this topic at some point to bring clarity to his current prespective of the subject.

[i]6. There were no Bible Colleges, Seminaries or degrees in the New Testament. The only people who seemed to have "Bible Schools" were the Scribes and Pharisees! The apostles were simple fishermen and tax collectors. It is likely that a number of them could not even read or write. What was their "qualification" for being in the ministry? Simply that they had SPENT A LOT OF TIME WITH JESUS. The fact that people expect a "professional clergy" today with degrees from Bible College has helped to make the church sicker and more unscriptural than ever. Simple humble people with a calling from God often cannot get to minister because they do not have a "piece of paper" to make them 'qualified'. -Yet another disaster for the church. [/i]

This must [u]not[/u] be interpreted as 'anti Christian education.' It must not be interpreted as 'anti-credentials' either. Credentials are required for Andrew to be in the USA on a ministry Visa. You will also note the site, "revivalschool." Andrew is a former school teacher. It is my experience that he is referring to the deadness of bible colleges and their need to rightly teach fundamental Christian doctrines. To rightly train leaders to evangelize, etc. This is more of a bringing balance to the out-of-balance situations we often find in seminary. Some seminaries will actually serve to sift your faith. I believe Andrew would like to have a training facility to teach ministers things like are found on SI as well as an added emphasis on baptism and the infilling of the Holy Spirit, etc.

[i]4. "Tithing" is not a New Testament practice at all. And it is being shamefully abused by today's preachers. In the New Testament we are told to give cheerfully - whatever we purpose in our hearts to give. Telling people that they MUST give 10% to the church or they are "robbing God" is totally sick - and a money-grubbing way of twisting Scripture. There is no evidence that the apostles EVER preached 'tithing' to New Testament believers. It was clearly regarded as an Old Testament practice. [/i]

This must not be interpreted to mean that Andrew is anti-tithe or anti-offering. He would not tell a person NOT to tithe to his ministry IF it is what the person felt the Lord was telling them to do. He is against teaching 'mandatory tithing' as if a person was 'cursed' who did not give 10%. The New Testament saints had hearts to give and they gave as they 'purposed in their heart', etc. Some ministries require tithing of its staff, but the definition is often non-literal (less than10%).

[i]Much of the church is living a lie. Many inside her are told continuously that they are "OK" - that they are saved and headed for heaven. Nothing could be further from the truth. Multitudes of them are headed directly for hell. The systemized LYING that is going on has deceived the leaders and the people alike. It is the blind leading the blind. We need to contend for these people - desperately. Much of the church is "lost". They are mired in deception - an entire system of deception.[/i]

If the person is not a true child of God we have to ask 'WHY?' I think the main issue at hand is a refusal to probe into the cause as to why a person refuses to submit to God. I just met a man at the park last Sunday and he basically said he knew the LORD etc., but could not get free from a life of crime and drugs. I felt to start probing a bit. I told him that many people never were truly born again because they REFUSED to submit to God when they came to Him. He was putting His finger on 'something' and they did not obey. They thought they could just skate over that area where the Holy Spirit was SHOUTING in their heart to deal with. "I have no idea what that thing is", I said. "You know what it is and so does God." I continued. "What is it that every time you go to pray you have this thing POP UP in your heart that you feel God is telling you to deal with?" He answered, "I need to forgive!, but I can't!" I relayed the story of the man who owed hundreds of talents (billions of modern dollars) and yet was forgiven the debt. I then told how he went and took the man who owed him by the THROAT.

To make a long story short, he understood. He simply passed by my left shoulder and behind me and off into the park, "I have to go over here!" Now, we could have prayed the sinners prayer or went through the Roman Road or anything. But this man was unwilling to deal with the [u]controversy[/u] that the Holy Spirit had with him. THIS, in my estimation, is one of the great reasons why sinners and Christians get nowhere with God. They refuse to submit to Him as He is dealing with them. Such a rarely heard topic and it is front and center as a problem today, in my opinion.

2006/8/16 8:05Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
THIS, in my estimation, is one of the great reasons why sinners and Christians get nowhere with God. They refuse to submit to Him as He is dealing with them. Such a rarely heard topic and it is front and center as a problem today, in my opinion.

Hi Robert,

I couldn't agree with you more. I've preached on the streets and at food drives and homeless hand-out lines, and just about everyone who comes up to me says they're a Christian. Nevermind the stinking and staggering from booze, nevermind the pupils being dialated from the meth-amphetamines, never mind the foul language and salacious grins.

When I ask them why they're still on the streets and high, I always seem get the same sob story of how somebody "wronged" them and how they just can't bring themselves to forgive. What you've said is so typical, Robert. A failure to submit to the voice of God! I wonder how many of these people have actually had the "new birth" experience as well? I venture to say very, very few.

When I initially read Strom's "nine lies" (sorry, I didn't know had SI already visited the article two years ago) I hoped he wasn't making a blanket statement on all these things. Thank you so much for your clarification! I always encourage tithing (God has blessed my family through our cheerful habit of tithing from ANY and ALL our income), but I don't feel it's right to accuse someone of "robbing God" if they do not tithe. You run the risk of laying a guilt trip on a people, and getting them to give to God for the wrong reasons.

2006/8/16 10:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy