SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is Remarriage Adultery? What about homosexuals?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
revbeau

Deer Park, Alabama

Is Remarriage Adultery? What about homosexuals?

Divorce and Remarriage is a topic which has been, is and will be (until Jesus comes when we shall know even as we are known) discussed, debated, interpreted and misinterpreted lo these many years.

You will find renouned commentators on both sides of the argument.

What I have found in my 20 years of pastoral ministry (I entered the ministry at 39 years old) is that unless we believe what the Bible says we will believe what we want to believe or believe what is most convenient or justifies our course of action.

There is an eternity of difference between God's view of a divorced person remarrying and the homosexual.

The woman at the well was married how many times? She had 5 husbands which means she was married once and remarried 4 times. When Jesus spoke to her she was having an adulterous affair with another man. What did Jesus tell her? (See this event as recorded in John 4 below).

16: Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. 17: The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18: For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly. 19: The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet...25: The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26: Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he...28: The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, 29: Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

I get the distinct impression she realized who Jesus was and it changed her life. He didn't condemn her. He just exposed the sin in her life and she changed. (2Cor:5:17: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.)

A person who remarries commits adultery--I believe Jesus was straight forward with that decree. Obviously, He can forgive any sin, including adultery, if we are sorry for our sin, confess our sin and turn from that sin. In a practical way, the person who realizes that their remarriage has set up an adulterous situation can ask forgiveness and be forgiven. They should stay in that marriage because to divorce that person would only add more sin.

The person who knows that remarriage will create an adulterous situation and remarries anyhow does so in rebellion to God's Will; thus God cannot forgive something we refuse to acknowledge as sin and go ahead and "have it our way."

Now, to the homosexual. Marriage was created, obviously, for one man and one woman. That is normal. Divorce is not normal for the Christian since it is against God's will; however, there is forgiveness if there is true confession and repentance of one having committed divorce.

The problem with the homosexual is that their lifestyle is not, nor has it been nor will it ever be normal and acceptable to God. Sure, He loves the homosexual because He sent His Only Begotten Son to die for them so that they would have the desire and power to get out of their ungodly lifestyle.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10: Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11: And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 12: All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Someone used these verses to justify being a homosexual because Paul said "and such were some of you" including homosexuals in the group who were forgiven. But notice that three things happened "to us" which brought us out of whatever sinful lifestyle we were held in bondage to: Frist, the blood of Christ cleansed and removed the desire and power sin had over us at one time. Second, we were sanctified or set apart for God's specific use not our own pleasures whether those pleasures were found in same sex relationships, power, money, prestiege or even religion. Lastly, we have been justified. When God sees us He sees us through the pure, sinless blood of His Son which has freed us from the bondage of ANY lifestyle which keeps us from honoring God with our minds and bodies.

Obviously, from Jesus' words in the New Testament about marriage, "what God has joined let no man put asunder." God allowed Moses to grant writings of divorce because of the hardness of people's hearts but "it was not so in the beginning."

The problem goes back to not being willing to obey the Bible but picking and choosing what we like or don't like.

Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13: Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14: And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Do you get a sense of what God is telling us about forgiving one another? Forgiveness WILL prevent divorce, tenderheartedness WILL stop child abuse and forgiving one another LIKE Christ has forgiven us will solve all of our "messes."

It's is when we choose not to imitate Christ that sin becomes a terrible intruder into marriages and families.

I know what you are thinking, "Yeah, but what if....?" It doesn't matter what if. All you have to do is go to Scripture to see how Jesus handled the situation and "go and do thou likewise." Is life really that simple? Yes, if we follow after righteousness.

2006/8/14 18:54Profile

Re: Is Remarriage Adultery? What about homosexuals?

Quote:

A person who remarries commits adultery--I believe Jesus was straight forward with that decree.

Id like to add 'except for harlotry' by our Lords own words where adultery isnt committed upon remarriage. :)

2006/8/14 22:43
lastblast

Michigan

Re: Is Remarriage Adultery? What about homosexuals?

Quote:
if we are sorry for our sin, confess our sin and turn from that sin. In a practical way, the person who realizes that their remarriage has set up an adulterous situation can ask forgiveness and be forgiven. They should stay in that marriage because to divorce that person would only add more sin.

RevBeau,

Can you explain how you believe that someone should "turn from that sin", yet you also say they should STAY in that sin? If one is in adultery (extramarital or through remarriage), how is a divorce (departing from that relationship) a sin? If God doesn't recognize the marriage as lawful, but adultery, how can forsaking that relationship be sin?

2006/8/14 23:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy