SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Self-Noughting

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Self-Noughting

A few lines follow from a prayer entitled [i]Self-Noughting[/i] from The Valley of Vision, Puritan Prayers and Devotions. It is my sense that these short lines are suitable for meditating upon, for drawing our attention inward and upward, so that we may reflect upon our own low estate, and the loftiness of God's.

I wonder how much of the hidden and secret inner-life available to the Christian is lost upon us of our day because we neglect the disciplines of quite reflection and meditation upon the things of God and the word of God? What discoveries of God's greatness await us? What re-discoveries of His greatness await? Here are the lines and perhaps we can add some of our own afterwards.

Thou dwellest in the highest heaven and
this cannot contain thee;

I live in a house of clay.

~

Thy power is almighty;

I am crushed before the moth.

~

Thy understanding is infinite;

I know nothing as I ought to know.

~

Thou canst not behold evil;

I am vile.

2006/8/12 16:07Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Self-Noughting

Thank you for this, Chris.

May more of us on SI study the holiness, wisdom, and intimacy with God the Puritans had. We will profit immensely from it, and grow in such wisdom and grace.

Brother Paul

2006/8/12 16:28Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

You have measured the waters
in the hollow of Your hand;

I cannot by taking thought
add one cubit unto my stature.
~

You cover Yourself with Light
as with a garment;

All my righteousness is
as filthy rags.
~

Known unto You are all Your
works from the beginning of
the world;

I know not what shall
be on the morrow.
~

You are altogether lovely and
You are Love;

I have been a lover of pleasure
more than a lover of God.
~

2006/8/14 13:09Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Chris, I am interesting in reading this book. I actually found an excerpt of Puritan Prayers from the book posted online. Thanks for sharing this.

http://www.eternallifeministries.org/prayers.htm

2006/8/14 13:45Profile
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

amen and amen. I marked the site in my favorites. Thanks for sharing it. I tell you all of a certainty, the hour is late and God is calling all who would be His, to holiness, purity, death to self and the world. Hardly anyone wants to hear such a thing. I'm so glad you do. Listen as the Spirit of the Lord says come and dwell, abide in Me; not just on Sundays and Wednesdays, but each and every minute of each and every day. Alleluia.

Humbly before Him in His grace,

"O"

2006/8/14 15:11Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I wonder how much of the hidden and secret inner-life available to the Christian is lost upon us of our day because we neglect the disciplines of quite reflection and meditation upon the things of God and the word of God

Wonderful exhortation Chris. We certainly need one another to encourage us abide more faithfully in the things that give us life! You are so right...

What a deeply powerful book you mentioned..."The Valley of Vision." I was slow in discovering this treasure, having first heard Greg and others here at SI talk about it. My goodness, I have used this book as an onramp to a better prayer life. It's value to me has quickly become inestimable!

Just reading the book settles your heart and mind into prayer. As you stated so well ..."What discoveries of God's greatness await us?"

Blessings, all,

MC

2006/8/14 19:14Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy