SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : HolyGhost reproves world of sin, righteousness and judgement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

HolyGhost reproves world of sin, righteousness and judgement

In John chap 16 Jesus tells us what the Holy Ghost comes to do to the world," vs 8 And when he is come he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgement. A major part of our preaching should be in line with what the Holy Ghost is reproving the world of. Hence we should not shrink back from speaking about sin, righteousness and judgment accompanied by faith repentence and the cross. That last part is what Ray Comfort says alot. Wesley,Finney, Whitefield,Ravennhill and on and on actualy did it. So let us continue to do it in this present age, remembering to remain humble and soaked in the word and prayer. God bless, John

2006/8/10 4:51
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: HolyGhost reproves world of sin, righteousness and judgement

Makes a great change from hearing the so called 'love gospel'.

The word love is not mentioned once in the book of Acts, yet thousands got save. Nowadays, most pastors and ministers spout 'Jesus loves you', and everyone turns a deaf ear.

People do need conviction of sin, or they will contiune in it, or ignore the conviction.

They then continue in righteousness to escape the judgment to come.

Acts 24v25 Paul reasoned about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come. Scripture says Felix was afraid! Good! Too bad he rejected what he heard. He must have believed or he would not have been afraid.

Let us continue in the fear of God and reject all man made fear, intimidation and compromise. God bless.

2006/8/10 5:08Profile

Re: Holy Ghost reproves world of sin, righteousness and judgment

enid said:

Quote:
The word love is not mentioned once in the book of Acts

I didn't notice that....

But, there are several mentions of the mighty works done in Jesus' Name by the disciples and apostles, and anyone who has been healed will know they have met the Healer, and will feel the love of God in action. It was also (is also) the love of God in action which takes the gospel to people, and people realise this if they hear the word of God with understanding hearts and minds.

But I agree, unless the same people have an awe for God and a respect for His judgment of sin and the future judgment of our response to Christ, they are not being told the [u]whole[/u] truth.

2006/8/10 5:31
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

When He comes...

and where did He go? In 120, in the upper room! They were not convicted when they were speaking in tougues, but when the began to preach!!

2006/8/10 9:08Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

It's called a "love gospel", but those who preach it can't truly love the people they're preaching to. If they did, they would give them the true Gospel that leads to salvation.

"And of some have compassion, making a difference:
And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh." Jude 1:22,23

That doesn't sounds like the wimpy plea "Jesus loves you, now let Him in your heart". Jude was talking about a fierce resistance to the devil's works. We need to be a little "violent" when it comes to preaching the Gospel.

2006/8/10 12:44Profile
roadsign

Re: Is love not enough?

Sadly the word “love” has come to mean nothing more than a sweet fluffy powerless sentiment. But rather than toss out the word, I recommend that we take a stand for the CORRECT meaning of “love”. Christ’s death was the highest expression of love. To think that love is unable to transform a person is to say that His grace is not enough, his mercy is not enough.

Of course words hold no magic. After all, they are only a bunch of letters put together. They must be given life and meaning. And that’s what you see in Acts – right from Pentecost. “…be assured of this: God has made this Jesus whom you crucified both Lord (!) and Christ (!).” Consider the beggar in Acts 3 whom Peter healed. Did Peter first tell him his sins? No, But notice the power of love. The man walked away - a changed man. By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong.” Acts 3:16

I have encountered frequent “preaching against sin” over the past 50+ years of my life, and have seen the grave weaknesses of this emphasis. People changed, but were not “cut to the heart”. Instead, they trusted in themselves to change. And many did in fact put away various sins. But they ended up with a form of godliness without the power. They never knew the love of Christ, yet assumed they were saved. And now, years later, I see many of them unraveling. That is why I am speaking against this emphasis on “preaching against sin” – because in itself it is a powerless, and even a destructive “gospel” . It can ruin people. It is deficient in love, and leaves nothing to pass on to the next generation.

Here’s another thing that I’m seeing happening: After years of that kind of “gospel”, these people are now desperately wanting to throw off that heavy yoke. Many have tried to find relieve in what is really a wimpy kind of cheep grace. They still do not know the POWER of God’s love. And so, now we see another kind of devastation – loose living. It’s just a pendulum swing in the other direction.

The answer is NOT to go back to the old ways, because they did not work. We need instead to admit our own deficient understanding of God’s love, repent from that, and accept the love of God. Doing so is radical and costly. Christ accepts no compromise. But, armed with the power of God’s love, we will turn the world upside down for Christ.

We are living letters. WE preach what we ARE – our actions speak louder than words. Our calling is to preach the GOSPEL (Good News) with everything we have, every moment of the day. If it is for real, the sinners will notice, and will indeed be “cut to the heart” – in the work place, in the family, in the service club, or where ever God puts us to shine.

Consider how Paul was converted, Cornelius, the jailor, Lydia…. What motivated them to turn their lives over to Christ? Was it seeing how bad they were, or how good God was? Both Of course, but without discovering the goodness of God, guilt is impossible to endure. Surely we can pry our hands of God’s work. We can trust the Spirit to convict the sinner of guilt, while we preach the good news of reconciliation.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Eph. 3:18

Of course the sinner needs the law as a pointer to grace. (Rom. 3) But all too often our view of “sin” is extremely inadequate, and so we “preach” against only a few surface sins. Indeed, we may be called to point out someone’s wrongs – but all too often this is not done in God’s timing, nor with his love. It is carried out by those who are deficient in love, because they have an anemic perception of God’s love. And more harm is done than good.

Let us not become cynical of love. “And so, we know and rely on the love God has for us.” 1 Jn. 4:16

PS I hope to soon do a word study on the word “love” because I believe that I need to grow deeper in God’s love.

Diane

2006/8/10 14:21Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Love reconciliation is the answer, not reconciliation from sin, Love of Christ in us will take care of sin. We sin because we just don't love God and His Christ by the Holy Spirit enough. Look forward to your word study.

2Cr 5:18 And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

2Cr 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. That word is LOVE.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/8/11 5:48Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I in front of the word charity, (LOVE) we could understand that, by the Christ in me I suffer long and am kind. By the Christ in me I envy not; vaunteth not myself, am not puffed up, etc, etc.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/8/11 6:01Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Sadly, many Christians think that love is a feeling. It isn't. Love is action.

Romans 5 tells us that God DEMONSTRATED His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

What kind of love does one who professes Christ have when they will not warn the wicked?

When they tell people another gospel, which the apostle Paul warns against?

If we, in order to spare people's feelings, do not tell people to repent, but instead just say
'Jesus loves you', and never warn them of the judgment to come, is that love?

Never tell them of the consequences of rejecting God's offer of salvation, is that love?

Don't warn them about hell, or Bible prophecy, which is evidence of God's truth all around us, is that love?

Why become a Christian, in order to do things your way, instead of God's? Is that how you show God that you love him, by disobeying His commandments?

If you love Me keep My commandments Jesus says.

Love does not mean keeping silent, or hiding God's word from sinners.

We tell them, we warn them. If we cared, we would.

God bless.

2006/8/11 6:51Profile

Re:

There are some good things being said in regards to the original post. I would like to add that it is because of "love" that the Holy Ghost reproves as he does. There are certain key teachers and their followers who say we should not point out a sinners sin. (Please if you feel this way think about what Jesus said in john16:8.) They say it is not loving. Well then you say that the Holy Ghost is not loving. Yes yes, I know we all have seen a "preacher against sin" without love. I have been guilty of it as well. But just because you see something you think or maybe is, not loving, doesn't mean you now begin altering the "whole counsel of God". We, by nature, want to always take a compromising, "worldy love" way to do things for a variety of reasons. Preach in unity with the Holy Ghost and we may then see the revival we desire. Lord have mercy on us all.

2006/8/11 8:14

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy