Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Genealogy of Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
kabod

Malaysia

Genealogy of Jesus

hi to all forumers,

i would like to ask your on a question. Just now when im reading the gospel of john and matthew. 1 question pop up in my mind. The old testament prophecies said that there will come a savior from david decendant. From the gospel of matthew chapter 1. what we can read that joseph comes from david decendant and not stated that which decendant mary comes from. My question is , if jesus comes from david decendant, mary should inherite david traits and not joseph. Can anyone give me a better understanding of this.

im not intending to judge the bible here. Im also christian, and i believe that bible comes from the lord.

Thank.

2006/8/9 11:26Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re: Genealogy of Jesus

In Luke 3, another genealogy of Christ is given, this time being traced from a different son of David's than the Matthew account. Because the Scriptures cannot be broke, the genealogy given in Luke must be that of Mary's. This can be substantiated by the phrase "Jesus. . . being (as was supposedd) the son of Joseph."

I have heard that during that time, in that part of the world, a woman's genealogy was reckoned through her husbnad, which is why it says "Joseph, son of Heli". Anyone know anything about that?

2006/8/9 13:03Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

If you study Matt in the line of David from Abraham, we see that Joseph was in the birth line of David. If you study Luke we see that Mary also was in the line of David, but Luke went all the way back to Adam so The prophecy that God gave, that the Crusher of the head of Satan would be from the seed of a woman, and Isaiah 7:14 "born of a virgin".

So all things that God said about the Messiah would be accomplished and perfect in execution.
He was born of the seed of a woman, Mary,(that is the ovum), virgin birth, by the(Sperma of God) by the Holy Spirit conceived and gave birth to Jesus, that is Emmanuel, (God with us). By Joseph as step son, the legal father's line of David and Mary preparing a special body, a son of David, The Son of God. Both Joseph and Mary in the birth lineage of David.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/8/9 23:25Profile
kabod

Malaysia

Re:

Thanks for the explanation, now my question answered already. Thank you guys for the explanation.

2006/8/11 1:14Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

(I tried to post this the other day, but something went wrong with my computer:oops:)

David Pawson made some interesting observations, regarding the lineages presented.

Mark - Son of Joeseph (adopted) and Mary (Servant).
Matthew - Son of Abraham (Royalty) - recognised through Joseph (descendant of Solomon, legal heir)
Luke - Son of Adam (Humanity) - Recognised through Mary ("woman's seed", descendant of Nathan, righteous heir - Solomon product of Bathsheba)
John - Son of God (Devinity) - Recognised as being "in the beginning" ("fullness of the Godhead, in bodily form".)

Note that in Biblical times, adoption occured for the purpose the furtherance of the "father's" will (Ron Bailey). herefore if Joseph was legal heir to the throne, Jesus would have legal right to rule, as his adopted son. However, if Nathan was God's intended ruler (after all, adultery was the basis of David and Bathsheba's relationship), then Jesus had the "Devine right" as God's intended heir. Despite all this, the fact that Jesus is "God with us (Emmanuel)" means that "all bets are off", He is the "King of kings" and "Lord of lords".

The wonder of the detail that God went to, and the genius that was invested into the incarnation of Christ. He had no need to do so, but allowed His integrity to remain in the midst of apparent paradox. Every objection raised, further proves His validity. Who else but Jehovah could come up with such a "water proof" plan?

2006/8/12 2:33Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

I did a study on this some years ago which is available for free download. This study covers other aspects of the genealogies but there are are two family trees and some explanation which may help you with this.

You will find it at [url=http://mp3.biblebase.com/workmanworkshops/The%20Seed_09.PDF]"a man of rest and a house of rest".[/url] You need pages 64-66. It is a little complicated but if you can't follow it just ask!

2006/8/15 18:58Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy