SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Promise

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread









 The Promise

The Promise given:

Genesis 12:2 (NASB-U)
[i]And I will make you a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And so you shall be a blessing;[/i]

Time passes and then comes "The Test":

[i]“And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.”[/i] Genesis 22:2 (KJV)


The Promise fulfilled because:

[i]“And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: [b]for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.[/b] And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.
And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.”[/i] Genesis 22:11-18 (KJV)

Galatians 3:14 (NASB-U)
"...[i]in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would [*also] receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.[/i]

*[emphasis added]


The Promise is not just the Spirit for He is also the teacher and our comforter who shows us the things of Jesus for our profit, as He did to Abraham. The resulting conclusion to receiving the Promise is the fulfillment of His teachings and influence, to which we will become the actual righteousness OF Christ; [b]trusted by God[/b], as was Abraham.

John 15:15 (KJV)
[i]Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you [b]friends[/b]; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.[/i]

The Promise "you will be" is given to us who believe with the whole heart and by the realizing of the Holy Ghost we will come to a place where we will have our own "Mt Moriah"; become part the "full ear". If I see this correctly, abiding in the vine can now take on fresh meaning, likewise our thinking concerning joint-heir-ship.

“Take My Yoke”, Jesus says. It is easy and light. The fulfillment of the Promise is to be found in the burden of the load. The administrator of the Promise will help you to see it; to embrace it. Truly, one will get a “mouthful of splinters” in the process.


Orm


 2006/8/9 8:37









 Re: The Promise


Quote:
The Promise given:

Genesis 12:2 (NASB-U)
[i]And I will make you a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And so you shall be a blessing;[/i]

Time passes and then comes "The Test":

[i]“And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.”[/i] Genesis 22:2 (KJV)


The Promise fulfilled because:

[i]“And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: [b]for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.[/b] And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.
And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.”[/i] Genesis 22:11-18 (KJV)

Galatians 3:14 (NASB-U)
"...[i]in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would [*also] receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.[/i]

*[emphasis added]


The Promise is not just the Spirit for He is also the teacher and our comforter who shows us the things of Jesus for our profit, as He did to Abraham. The resulting conclusion to receiving the Promise is the fulfillment of His teachings and influence, to which we will become the actual righteousness OF Christ; [b]trusted by God[/b], as was Abraham.

John 15:15 (KJV)
[i]Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you [b]friends[/b]; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.[/i]

The Promise "you will be" is given to us who believe with the whole heart and by the realizing of the Holy Ghost we will come to a place where we will have our own "Mt Moriah"; become part the "full ear". If I see this correctly, abiding in the vine can now take on fresh meaning, likewise our thinking concerning joint-heir-ship.

“Take My Yoke”, Jesus says. It is easy and light. The fulfillment of the Promise is to be found in the burden of the load. The administrator of the Promise will help you to see it; to embrace it. Truly, one will get a “mouthful of splinters” in the process.


Orm



[b]More on the Promise given to Abraham: Gen. 12.2[/b]...and to us who strive to enter into it.

Galatians 3:16 (NASB-U)
[i]Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as referring to many, but rather to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ.[/i]

A single seed speaks of baptism INTO Jesus Christ and as water would cover us; unify us, so it is because of His Life within us.....purposed for FULL STATURE unto the Father!

Ephes. 1:23 (NASB-U)
[i]"......His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all."[/i]

 2006/8/12 6:03
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4792


 Re:

Another part of the Promise is found in Genesis 17:7

"And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant to be God to you and your descendants after you."

Here we find that God gives the Promise to Abraham..."to be God to you." We also find here that this Promise is given to Abraham's "descendants"..."in their generations,." The Promise to Abraham and his descendants in each of their generations is an everlasting covenant.

The Promise brings results or establishes the means by which one is reconciled to God. Listen to what the Lord says to Abraham.

Genesis 18:17, "And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing, "Since Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?"

v19, "For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord, to do righteousness and justice, that the Lord may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him."

Long before the event on Mount Moriah God's Promise already enabled Abraham "to do righteousness and justice..."

From what source does the righteousness and justice emanate from?

In Christ
Jeff


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2006/8/12 6:54Profile









 Re:

Quote:


"Long before the event on Mount Moriah God's Promise already enabled Abraham "to do righteousness and justice..."

From what source does the righteousness and justice emanate from?"

In Christ
Jeff




Indeed, and did not Abraham have to learn to appropiate the "enablement" given him from the beginning? In fact that was what, in my estimation, the test of sacrifying Isaac was all about, i.e., when God could finally trust Him. The same was for Jesus and consequently, is no different a path for us we must walk who have the same ambition in Christ unto the Father.

Quote:
"The Promise brings results or establishes the means by which one is reconciled to God. Listen to what the Lord says to Abraham."



The Promise doesn't bring the results but rather the fulfillment of the Promise IS the result while providing the only way for it to be accomplished.

A friend sent me something about the missionary, Heidi Baker. I must confess I have never heard of her or her outreach ministry in Africa. However, upon reading the bio of her and her work I'm persuaded she and Her husband are the sort we might point to as an example of what I'm trying to get across. That is, God being able to place His trust in someone who truly has His sake in mind and not their own or someone else's.

Does that makes?


In Jesus,

Orm


 2006/8/12 9:06
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4792


 Re:

Brother Orm wrote:

"Indeed, and did not Abraham have to learn to appropiate the "enablement" given him from the beginning? In fact that was what, in my estimation, the test of sacrifying Isaac was all about, i.e., when God could finally trust Him."

Yes, Abraham did learn from glory to glory. As you have rightly pointed out, Abraham was taught by God though His relationship with Abraham. As we look at Abraham life we see a continual work of God, in that, everything God promised to Abraham, God accomplished. Through the continual covenant with Abraham, Abraham realized he could trust God even with his son Isaac.

Hebrews 11:17-19,

"By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had recieved the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, "In Isaac your seed shall be called," concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead...."

Look closely to the word "concluded." Because God honored His promises to Abraham, Abraham through the many years of walking with God could "conclude" that God would not fail to complete that which He promised.

God knows the beginning and the end. The tests that God brings to us are to teach us of our own hearts condition. If one reads Psalm 119, one will find the Wisdom by which He preserves His saints. He speaks, we have the choice to obey or not.

Proverbs 10:3,

"The Lord will not allow the righteous soul to famish, but He casts away the desire of the wicked. He who has a slack hand becomes poor, but the hand of the diligent makes rich."

Abraham was enabled to sacrifice Isaac because he was not slack but diligent. His soul feasted on the goodness of God and therefore, a man who was once simple, now near the end of his walk, could "conclude" that God was able and willing to complete that which He spoke.


Brother Orm wrote...

"the Promise IS the result"

Yes, He is the light of life, He is our salvation.

God Bless

In Christ
Jeff


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2006/8/14 21:14Profile









 Re:

Thanks Rookie,

Seems you are seeing some things here I have been trying to get across.

[i][b] "God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? [/i][/b]Numbers 23:19 (NASB-U)

Blessings in Him,

Orm

 2006/8/15 8:21
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4792


 Re:

Brother Orm wrote:

"Seems you are seeing some things here I have been trying to get across."


The Promise as you are endeavoring to expound upon is also defined by Paul in Ephesians 1:3-14.

Every aspect of the Promise in these verses are appropriated to those who are "in Him." The Seed by the power of the Holy Spirit brings salvation to those who choose to listen and do. His life begins to overcome the darkness of the carnal mind. His life brings a thirst for righteousness. His life speaks of the blessedness spoken of in the Beatitudes.

The only aspect that I might question Brother Ormly is that of trying to define the moment when one begins abiding in the vine. Man has continually striven to define the events in the life of an individual child of God as something that fits one's own experience with God. I tend to gravitate towards what is written in 1 John 2:12-14.

"I write to you, little chidren, because your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake. I write to you fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the wicked one. I write to you, little children, because you have known the Father.

I have written to you fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one."

John continually reminds those whom he has ministered to of the nature of their relationship with God. Where do we find ourselves in John's exhortation, that is the question that I continually reflect on.

God Bless
In Christ
Jeff



_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2006/8/15 10:33Profile









 Re:

Indeed and amen, Brother. You are on it.

You asked:

Quote:
The only aspect that I might question Brother Ormly is that of trying to define the moment when one begins abiding in the vine.



The beginning can only the beginning in which one begins to sense God's reciprocal to his seeking and that by one's whole heart.. Usually, it is a feeling of thirst for more BECAUSE the book starts to become a new book....not to memorise but to have its revelational truths quickened ...to our heart, our spirit; insight that we begin to "see" and understand that the vision Jesus, the man, experienced is also to be experienced in us. The Vision kept Him.

Quote:
Man has continually striven to define the events in the life of an individual child of God as something that fits one's own experience with God. I tend to gravitate towards what is written in 1 John 2:12-14.



Unless God allows us to look back and see where/how He rescued us; to see how it was that we could see Him that we might exclaim, ah-hah, then looking back contains no helpful revelation. Of course this is where it can all get personal. However, I believe that is a moment we all should experience; that we could see the hand of God who protected us to the end that we would come to know Him. Election took on new significance in this for me when I realized it. If He can hange me He can change anybody .... but then I [b]wanted[/b] to be changed.

God Bless you, my brother,

Orm



 2006/8/15 11:12





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy