SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : NEWSWEEK COVER: Billy Graham in Twilight

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: Wow! Things have sure changed

Tears of Joy: I can't thank you enough! What an incredible message by Billy Graham!!!! I was gripped within the first few paragraphs. I’m still shaking my head! Was that for real?!

This was preached in 1957. I entered the evangelical scene as a youth in 1970. Back then the Baptist Church I joined was a very plain country church of mostly farmers. Yet they sent 50% of their budget to missionaries – many of whom had grown up in the church. So what happened after 1957?

I think many of the church members were still living off the remnants of that kind of undiluted gospel message that Graham preached, but they were not passing it on with clarity and they were themselves slipping. The message was gradually getting diluted.

I recall separation being preached fervently. It was more a “preaching against sin” –really a very inadequate picture of sin. These “sins’ were mostly about lifestyle – and we, being careful to avoid them, viewed ourselves as quite righteous. I certainly do not recall hearing about the drastic separation that Jesus required. I wish I had – because that is the essence of genuine salvation!!!

In his 1957 message, Graham used the philosophy of our former enemy, Communism, to portray this radical loyalty to a cause:

A communist: "I will gladly die that Communism may be advanced one more mile."

Would you gladly die that Christ might be advanced one more mile in Africa?
Five young men were willing to die last year that Christ might be taken to an Indian tribe in Ecuador. But what about you?

Before we blame Graham for his falling away, I think we aught to look at ourselves – as God’s people. Maybe the people of God stopped wanting to hear any more about radical separation, maybe viewing it as legalistic restraints (which they had become familiar with). Maybe God gave them a leader who would say what that they WANTED to hear. Wasn’t that often God’s way?

And so Graham’s message stopped challenging the "righteous" ones in the church of their hypocrisy, and he focused his message on the unchurched.

Jesus said, "It is not the righteous who need a doctor.... "

EDIT: It just occurred to me that on another thread, Philologos pointed out that a significant doctrinal shift began around 50 years ago. I asked for an article that would summerize that. Perhaps, if such a one comes along, I will add it here, as I think it would be fitting.

Diane

2006/8/9 8:05Profile
Rahman

Re: A Typical Christian RNG ...

Bro Mike you wrote;
"I think when the Lord brings His sword into the Church, it's not to divide people, but to cut the world out of our hearts, which is why I understand your sentiment here..."

--- You know bro i'm reminded of the question at the latter part of 2Cor.6:14 - "for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? ... i believe as it stands now in many a congregation there's just enough shadow (worldliness) or grayness as you called it for a segment of the unrighteous to be able to survive in ... But i also believe that when any church leadership/congregation gets serious about our Lord to a point of seeking Him on our faces toward a fresh outpouring of His Spirit it will cut the world out of our hearts, but it's also gonna physically seperate anyone who's just perpetrating light - Sin in our lives may be able to survive in a continuous barrage of saccarin "how much He loves us sermons", but not in an invironment where our sins are called sins and the consequences made known - Only those who love truth, Holy Spirit bearing witness, will be drawn to such light ---

Bro Mike you wrote;
"So I welcome the convictors and hard preachers. Spare not my soul to tolerate sin! Spare not the rod...I will not die. Invite the sons of thunder back into the congregation and eject the sons of therapy."

--- "Invite the sons of thunder back into the congregation and eject the sons of therapy" ... Man! - another one for my quote book ... Amen bro, are we not God's children? ... Didn't He Himself say "He disciplines as many as He loves"? ...

Prov.23:[13] - Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. [14] Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Prov.29: [15] - The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame (to say nothing of the shame brought to our heavenly Father).

Prov.6: [23] - For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

Prov.10: [17] - He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth.

Prov.12: [1] - Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.

Prov.13: [18] - Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.

Prov.15;
[5] - A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.
[10] - Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die.
[31] - The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.
[32] - He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding. ---

Bro Mike you wrote;
"I feel the urgency of this more today then I did a few weeks ago. It seems many of our established leaders, including Dr. Graham, are unwittingly soothing us when they should be disturbing us."

--- Bro Mike and i just want to be an instrument of exortation to you by saying that His move within you toward your increased sense of "urgency" and "intensity" is really showing thru ... i certainly can sense a difference in you, as from your previous post my spirit lept when i read it! ... It's obvious to me that Holy Spirit is surging and operating in you at a much higher level! ... Praise Him! ---

Bro Mike you finished;

I'm a typical Christian RNG (really nice guy ), looking to fit in with the crowd... but I believe in order to speak plainly with love in these last days, Heaven is going to be moving through many of us RNG's like a wind tunnel!

--- Amen bro, just like our Lord chose and moved thru that typical RNG Gideon (the lowly wheat thresher) ... God loves to move thru folk who'd much rather just fit into a crowd, if not to avoid the crowd altogether ... And you said it so right when you said "in love" ... Exuding His love is the key element we must display in His "moving" any of us as His instruments ...

Bro Mike i'm praying for you that you'll continue to surrender and submit to His quickening of your spirit by His Spirit and that you'll do what you hear Him saying to you ... Blessed be our God, and the fact that He doesn't count it robbery to choose and use us deserving of hell to His glory ...

Man we serve a Mighty Good God!!! ... The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour! (you see yourself as a typical CRNG, which is good, but the latter is how our Lord sees you) --- ;-)

2006/8/9 16:47Profile
Compton

Re:

Many thanks Rhaman for your faithful fellowship, exhortation, and encouragement on these things. We are given the Holy Sprit, and we are given one another...both for comfort and exhortation. Our God has indeed supplied all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus!

Blessings,

MC

2006/8/9 21:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy