SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is Remarriage Adulterous?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Quote:
If a sinner gets married, divorces, remarries. 10 years down the road wants to get right with God, does he have to divorce the "remarriage" to repent from sin?

Two wrongs don't make a right. I think this is an instance where the Grace of God applies and the former divorce is washed clean by the blood of Christ.

2006/8/8 15:28Profile

Re:

Quote:

When did Jesus specify only during the bethrothal period?

He never did.
As a matter of fact, if we look at the actual wording used and the context in Matt 19 and Mark 10, Jesus used the word for woman or 'wife' without adding the word necessary to indicate ONLY the betrothed wife as used for Mary while she and Joseph were betrothed.

Additionally, there isnt a single indictation in the text of either passage to even insinuate that a consummated marriage isnt being spoken of.

these ideas are added by certain groups

2006/8/9 0:24

Re:

Quote:

JoeA wrote:
Any Christian married couple considering divorce should ask themselves these questions:

Has God divorced me?
Would God ever leave me or forsake me?

Apostacy to His covenant is likened to the adultery to the marriage covenant...the two crimes are interwoven.
Willfully apostate yourself from Him...blaspheme the Spirit of grace and I assure you that you will be forsaken, just as His word clearly states.

God is faithful..as Savior and as judge.
He may never leave you, but there are far to many clear warnings concerning apostacy for us to ignore that the apostate is in no danger of being rejected....you CAN jump from His hand of your own free will. To dismiss that is to dismiss much of His word.

As such, the comparison isnt relevant in the way you mean it to be.

Quote:

Does God put up with all of my faults and retake me everytime i come running into His arms?

Have you apostated yourself from Him?
Read Hebrews 6 and 10...the crime is very serious..deadly serious.

2006/8/9 0:30

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
To me, the large question is:

If a sinner gets married, divorces, remarries. 10 years down the road wants to get right with God, does he have to divorce the "remarriage" to repent from sin?

I know some believe this is true. For some reason it just doesn't set right with me...

One thing for sure...*IF* this were required it would be shown by Paul or Jesus somewhere.

Its very odd that Jesus was dealing with so many Jews who were divorcing and remarrying...yet not once did He preach this line we see out of some so adamantly today to divorce or burn in hell.

Not once do we see either of these two men preaching to the remarried person to divorce.

quite odd indeed since BOTH dealt with remarried divorcees..

2006/8/9 0:35
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Hebres 13:5(?) says "He hath said I will never leave thee nor forsake thee".

The issue has to do with wether or not God will divorce someone. Will He ever? No. Can we divroce Him? Yes (although i don't understand how a true believer would ever do such a thing). Will He ever leave us? No. But we can leave Him (again, i don't see how a true believer would do such a thing).

That is why divorce is so hated by God. Marriage itself is a type of Christ's marriage to the Church, and when a married couple divorces, it is making a mockery of the salvation that God has provided through the Blood of His Son. God will never cast us off if we continue to follow Him. Why should we divorce our spouse if they have been faithful? And even in unfaithfulness "With the Lord there is mercy, and with Him plenteous redemption".

2006/8/9 0:38Profile

Re:

Quote:

Can we divroce Him? Yes (although i don't understand how a true believer would ever do such a thing). Will He ever leave us? No. But we can leave Him (again, i don't see how a true believer would do such a thing).

I do see a lot of brothers and sisters who seem to want to believe that just because He wont forsake us, that it is impossible for us to do so with Him.
Neither can I fathom what could happen in a persons heart and mind to cause them to walk away from the truth...but because of the clear warnings in His word I have to assume it is something that can happen.

Quote:
That is why divorce is so hated by God. Marriage itself is a type of Christ's marriage to the Church, and when a married couple divorces, it is making a mockery of the salvation that God has provided through the Blood of His Son. God will never cast us off if we continue to follow Him. Why should we divorce our spouse if they have been faithful? And even in unfaithfulness "With the Lord there is mercy, and with Him plenteous redemption".

I honestly believe that we should even forgive adultery if possible if thats the only sin involved (adding ongoing beatings would definitely change my mind on that matter).
God didnt just end the covenant with Israel the first time she strayed. He gave her many chances over the years and presented great patience.

I think if a spouse simply falls and is repentant that we are to forgive them.
It was Israels ongoing whoredom that was the problem. And even tho God foreknew it all, He finally ended that covenant made with their forefathers out of Egypt over their adulteries against Him.

I think it should be the same with marriage.
Great patience should be given, but there comes a time when finally, if the spouse is persistant and so hardened against the marriage covenant that they will not even try to be faithful, that the marriage can be ended justly freeing both persons from it.

2006/8/9 1:06
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
blaspheme the Spirit of grace and I assure you that you will be forsaken, just as His word clearly states

This is true. Just ask King Saul if you have any doubts. Here was an anointed, chosen king who, at one time, even prophesied with the prophets of the Lord God. But how sad 1 Samuel ends! To me, Saul's demise is the most pathetic story in the Bible; even more pathetic than David weeping over Absalom is Samuel weeping over Saul, forsaken by God.

"I will never leave you nor forsake you" is valid only for those who continue to obey God's commandments and walk in the Spirit. Disobedience is considered rebellion, and is equal to witchcraft (I Sam. 15:23). And God doesn't bargain with witches; He kills them (Exodus 22:18). Just look what happened to Saul, God's own 'anointed' and prophetic king.

And Saul answered, "I am sore distressed; for the Phillistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more..." (I Samuel 28:15).

And she said, "The Phillistimes be upon thee, Samson." And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, "I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself." And he wist not that the Lord was departed from him (Judges 16:20).

2006/8/9 1:10Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Is Remarriage Adulterous?

I have a question then. This is a real situation. A man and woman were married. the wife is a Christian, the husband is not. they were married over twenty years. there was adultery in the marriage as well as emotional abuse, on the part of the husband for sure. the wife may or may not have committed adultery. The wife left the husband and filed for divorce. She is remarried now to a Christian and is still serving God now.

So in this scenario, where would she be?

2006/8/9 9:56Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Quote:

This doesnt set right with me either...
Would God break up a family?? Or would He destroy a family??
I can hear the mom saying "sorry kids, I was a sinner, and now I got saved, and I now have to leave you!" God have mercy on someone to tell a family they have to break up!!

2006/8/9 11:41Profile

Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
I have a question then. This is a real situation. A man and woman were married. the wife is a Christian, the husband is not. they were married over twenty years. there was adultery in the marriage as well as emotional abuse, on the part of the husband for sure. the wife may or may not have committed adultery. The wife left the husband and filed for divorce. She is remarried now to a Christian and is still serving God now.

So in this scenario, where would she be?

"go and sin no more"

2006/8/9 12:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy