SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : After DEATH EXPERIENCE? Is it BIBLICAL?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gery

After DEATH EXPERIENCE? Is it BIBLICAL?

I have heard of many people who testify of dying and having an after death experience, before coming back to life/Earth. Some see their bodies lying below, others have visions of a road much like Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress", others see Heaven or Hell, some even see the Lord Jesus and spoke to Him. Many of these people are respected, mature Christians. There are even websites dedicated to this issue.

What's your thoughts? Is it Biblical or possible if the Bible says in Romans that it is appointed for man once to die and thereafter God's judgment?

I would like to hear your comments or Bible verses for or against it.

In Him,
Gery

2006/8/7 15:33Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re: After DEATH EXPERIENCE? Is it BIBLICAL?

This comes to mind.

2 Corinthians 12:1 "It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

2 "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

3 "And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)

4 "How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

5 "Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities."

2006/8/7 15:43Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

All I know is that everyone will have an experience after death...

2006/8/7 15:46Profile

I dont think it's impossible for us to have an experience like that, but I am leary of about 99% of the experiences we hear about. Mainly because they are by people who do not know Christ as their savior, yet they see a light and a warm feeling, etc etc... The Bible says that Satan appears as an angel of light.

Someone hears about anothers experience, and they think... well, their not one of those born-agains... but they saw God.

It's a lot of mystical new age garbage.

So yea, I think that it's not an impossibility. But no, I think most are either made up or satanically orchestrated in order to fool people into a false sense of security.

Our time would be better spent meditating on the Word of God.

By the way, it's interesting to note that Lazarus is not recorded as having anything to say about his "after death" experience... and he was in the grave.

Krispy

2006/8/7 15:54
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Is it an "after death experience" or an "out of body experience" or a "vision" or an "in the Spirit" experience?

I would agree with Paul that it is appointed for everyone to die once and then comes judgment. I do not believe anyone has been raised yet, for the appointed time has not come.

Besides, Christ promised eternal life. If we die and are raised, and then die again, would that not be a contradiction?

But Paul also said....

2 Corinthians 12:2(NAS)
I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago--whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows--such a man was caught up to the third heaven.

And the apostle John wrote the book of revelation saying...

Revelation 1:9-11(NAS)
9 I, John, your brother and fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance which are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11 saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

It is possible the Lord has sent them visions or the like, and the person in their confusion thinks they have died, when they actually did not. It is also possible that a person was caught into the Spirit like John. However, whether or not the people you are speaking about are speaking in truth, I cannot say. Only God knows. I suppose for each of us, if it does have a purpose in our lives, the Lord will give us ears to hear so long as we are giving our ears to Him.

Here is a question: what if what they say is true? What does that mean for you?

In love,
Blake

2006/8/7 15:55Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

There is a former state policeman who was killed near Roanoke, Va. In 1979 that came back to life as he was being rolled into a morgue. He later became the Chief of Police at Dayton, Va. and also became an evangelist. I’ve skeptical of such testimonies but I believe this guy. His name is Buddy Ferris and by doing a search on Google you can read or maybe find an audio of his testimony.

2006/8/7 23:51Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Re: ever heard of this guy?

http://www.aglimpseofeternity.org/
this guy i think is australian or from new zealand, but he has a video of what happened to him well reccomended,

what he went through people leaving him to die,as he didnt have money for taxi.
he did die & was dead for over 15 mins documented aswel,

2006/8/8 7:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

There is one thing most humans are so curious about and that is "what happens after you die?" God knows this as does the devil. Both have used visions: one portrays reality (from God)and the other is a counterfeit(from the devil). Now how can one tell the difference? All you need to know is what it takes to redeem mankind. That is all but it is the sum of the total.

I love to read stories of people who have had a vision of heaven. They usually discuss its beauty and finish up with a message of making sure, very sure your sins are ALL repented of and under the blood. AND to warn others of the wrath and judgement to come if sins are not repented of and under the blood of Jesus.

The devils counterfeit does not deal with the sin issue at all. People are shown a beautiful place and are left thinking sin does not matter. Other cults record 'visions' allegedly had by their members and are quite fanciful.

If you sense red flags, it will be in your best interest to back off. The devil will use visions to mislead people and he has done a good job of it. Just don't be among that number.

Hope this helps.
ginnyrose

2006/8/8 19:24Profile
dantejones

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Re:

Krispy brings up a good point. i've heard of Hindus who have these experiences and describe meeting divine persons of their faith, like Ram or Krishna.....so i would say that most of what happens is either demonic or self-induced. these are possible signs and wonders that can really deceive

2006/8/10 1:05Profile
WorldView

Davao, Philippines

Re:

I dont deny that many people have these experiences. Who am I to tell them that they did not. Are they all of God? I dont know, but I do know that there are some that really are from God.

I have heard that Australian guy's testamony and it sounds legit.

2006/8/10 4:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy