SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do the Bible's Statements on Head Coverings Apply Today?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Do the Bible's Statements on Head Coverings Apply Today?

I found this article on Probe Ministries' homepage. I am wondering how this subject is considered by others. Should women wear hats in church today?

Do the Bible's Statements on Head Coverings Apply Today?
Written by Michael Gleghorn

I would like to hear your explanation of 1 Cor. 11:2-16 where it talks about woman wearing a head covering and if this applies to us today. And why.

Thanks for your letter. You've asked a rather difficult question about an extremely controversial and emotionally-charged issue. For what it's worth, I will offer my opinion (we don't have an official Probe position on this issue). But I certainly don't think I have any special insight into this issue.

Commentators point out that Paul offers a number of reasons why women should wear head coverings in the church. First, it appropriately reflects the Divine order mentioned in vv. 3-6. Second, it is based on creation (vv. 7-9). Here Paul seems to allude to Genesis 2:18-24. Third, Paul mentions that the woman should wear a covering because of the angels. Apparently, angels observe church meetings and may be offended to witness the insubordination of wives to their husbands (in particular), or the rejection of the Divine order by women in general. Fourth, Paul offers an argument from nature (vv. 13-15). His point may be that just as a woman's long hair is her natural glory, and is given to her as a covering, so also it is her glory to wear a covering in the church as a symbol of subordination to her husband and/or to God. Finally, Paul seems to argue for women wearing head coverings on the basis of this being the universal practice of the church in the first century (v. 16).

Of course, this is not the universal practice of the church today. But should it be? Although I don't know for sure, I tend to think that the key issue in this passage (i.e. the timeless truth which applies to all believers at all times and in all places) concerns subordination or submission. In particular, the man must understand that Christ is his head. Just as Christ willingly subordinated himself to the Father (Phil. 2:5-11, etc.), so also should man subordinate himself to Christ and follow his example. Similarly, a woman should be submissive to her husband (Eph. 5:22-33). It's important to understand that this does not imply inferiority. Just as Christ is not inferior to the Father, so also the wife is not inferior to her husband, nor is woman inherently inferior to man. However, there is a Divine order, also reflected in creation, and men and women have different roles and different responsibilities in that order.

Thus, I tend to think that the timeless truth of this passage is that both men and women need to recognize and accept their God-ordained position and purpose in both creation and the church. Just as it would be completely inappropriate for a man to refuse to subordinate himself to Christ, so also it is inappropriate for a wife to refuse to submit to her husband (or for a single woman to reject the Divine order, etc.). The head-covering was a visible symbol of such submission in the first century church. But I don't think that head-coverings are the real issue. The real issue is one of subordination to the will of God and an acceptance of the Divine order. In a sense, it's the distinction between the letter of the law -- and its spirit.

At any rate, for what it's worth, that's my opinion.

Shalom,

Michael Gleghorn
Probe Ministries

© 2006 Probe Ministries

2006/8/4 14:16Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Do the Bible's Statements on Head Coverings Apply Today?

Here is a thread called [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=9669&forum=36&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=1]No Custom? Or no argument?[/url] about this topic.

2006/8/4 14:55Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Thanks Preach!

I appreciate the link, I figured a topic like this must have come up before now..... :)

2006/8/4 15:03Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Do the Bible's Statements on Head Coverings Apply Today?

Just like Hair, people who are in Christ, that is know, that they have been made son's of God which on earth are male and female until the resurrection, a woman's hair is her glory and covering to show the real Glory and covering in Christ. A Christ in you male is on this earth is as Christ is to the Church to his wife. A Christ in you female on this earth is like the Church to the leadership and Love and sacrifice of Christ, like the wife of Christ to her husband, both being the Bride of Christ. It is not a blanket covering of all who are still on earth, A Christ in you Female is not subject to a non Christ in you Male, the same for Male's in Christ and non Christ in you Females. Paul make provision for this circumstance. If it works, ok, who knows the saved may be of benefit to the unsaved for their salvation. If a man has long hair it is not his glory, Christ is his glory and covering.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/8/5 1:33Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

3341. metanoia; repentance:
Search for G3341 in KJVSL
metanoia metanoia met-an'-oy-ah

from 3340; (subjectively) compunction (for guilt, including reformation); by implication, reversal (of (another's) decision):--repentance.

It is the leading of God that leads to repentance and confession.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

3670. homologeo; confess:
Search for G3670 in KJVSL
omologew homologeo hom-ol-og-eh'-o

from a compound of the base of 3674 and 3056; to assent, i.e. covenant, acknowledge:--con- (pro-)fess, confession is made, give thanks, promise.

1 John 1:5-7 This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.

"confess" The Blood of Jesus Christ shed at the Cross is the very reason God is faithful and Justified in forgiving us. Confession unto Repentance unto forgiveness in Christ Jesus, because we believe, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, unto salvation, Then Repentance unto confession unto the faithfulness of God to the cleansing from all unrighteousness in working out our salvation with fear and trembling.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/8/5 4:46Profile
roadsign

Re: Head coverings

For what it's worth: [url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/headcoverings.htm]Shouldn't Women Wear Hats in Church?[/url]

Diane

2006/8/5 6:42Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy