SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Conversation about the lottery

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Conversation about the lottery

This all started out a Conversation about the lottery "which I am personally against" and this was a response from a friend of mine, I don't know what to think I am wondering if they have totally lost it, this is what she wrote me below:

She wrote this:
I did read this however what about the people that win the Lotto and use the money for the good mankind. Helping the community, children in need and medical attention for some of the elderly have been done by many lottery winners. I personally don’t play the Lottery because I feel the odds are just way out there but I cannot ignore the facts either. Read about what some of the people in Texas have done with their lottery winnings. Remember the Bible was written by man and has lost translation over the years and if you don’t think it hasn’t then someone explain to me the Lost Books of the Bible that are just as important but have never been entered.

2006/8/3 14:16Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Conversation about the lottery

From the Garden of Eden until now satan has been using doubt to cause people to question God's word. Using pragmatism, the end justifies the means, doesn't make it right. Reasoning, is not God's way. It is not reasonable for 3 million people to be fed in the wilderness for 40 years without needing new clothes or shoes, but that is what happened. Any good that has been done is glory to man not glory to God. They are trying to help mankind without the help of God.
Since the Bible says in 2 Pet 1v21 that the men who wrote the Bible were moved by the Holy Spirit, there is no need to doubt God's word and trust humanism. That is what I see portrayed in this woman's letter. None of the Bible is lost, only people's minds. Remember, God gives people over to a reprobate mind. Where is the proof that the Bible has lost translation or anything else over the years. The Holy Spirit has lost none of His power, glory to God.
The word of God says satan comes as an angel of light. He uses doubt. This is what is happening here. If you had trusted what she said, you wouldn't be questioning it. Just like people question God's word, they don't trust it.
Sad, but true. Anyway, enough said. God bless.

2006/8/3 14:47Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Interesting.

especially the part about the Bible being written by man....

2006/8/3 14:50Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re: Conversation about the lottery

I had wondered myself about the lottery and gambling being taught for a long time that it was a sin. I then decided to research the bible on the topic and really could not find anything on it. There are things circling around the issue, but nothing specific. Where in the bible does it talk about gambling?

Those of us who know Christ, know in our hearts that it is wrong. However, we can't always explain why. We just know it is wrong. Although, some people will say it is good.

People will argue that the lottery is good because it brings in money for education. Without the lottery, our educational system would suffer.

Why does anyone gamble or play the lottery? For some it is because a love of money. However, this is not true for everyone. For some, they play because they have a need, and they hope the lottery will be the answer.

Here is where the core evil of the lottery really comes. It is a false sense of hope that recieves it's gain from people who are in need. The lottery is a false god where people earn rewards not because of love, but just because it happened by chance. The false God of luck. (Think about that the next time you say, "Good luck.")

The lottery provides a false sense of hope. A person who is poor has a desperate need of money. These people are poor physically. They want relief from the pain of suffering that comes from being poor. They are hungry and need to be satisfied. They suffer from going without. For people who love money, no amout will ever be enough. And so, they play the lottery in hopes that one day, their needs will be met.

People who are lovers of money have a deep desire for money. These are poor spiritually. They are hungry and need to be satisfied. For people who love money, no amout will ever be enough. They always want more and more. And so, they play the lottery in hopes that they will have more. Ultimately, the want to be filled and satisfied. But money cannot fill the longing we have to love and be loved.

Of course, money will not bring us the answer we need to the deep longing we have. We may be hungry, but our true hunger comes from not having God. Let's say we do have God and we play the lottery in hopes of winning. Well, then we are putting our hope into a false God. Rather than depending on Christ completely and totally, we are depending on the God of luck. We want to be luckly, rather than Christian.

Our hope should always be Christ. Despite all the trials, difficulties and hardships we experience on earth, we should always put our hope in Christ who will one day return and transform us into a glorious state while also making the world anew.

The second evil of the lottery is the fact that it feeds on the needy. It takes from people who have need. As said above, people who have money, don't play the lottery. Instead, they invest. As a society, if we were to love these people in need, they would not play the lottery. If we would willingly give to them, then why would they play the lottery? However, they play because they have a need. And so, it really abuses the poor in order to make one person wealthy.

If I was to win the lottery, I would feel terrible. I would think about all those people who were poor and paid money to buy tickets. I am basically taking money from the needy.

Now, you might say, "But what if I were to donate that money to charity?" Then all you are doing is taking money from people who need charity to turn around and give it to others as an act of charity. What good is that? The money you donated is going to go right back to the people who originally bought the tickets. This doesn't help anyone but yourself. All you are doing in such a process is giving yourself glory. You did not actually make any sort of true sacrifice, any act of love. Instead, you won a bunch of money that you did nothing to obtain, you earned this money by the abuse of people's hope, and then in turn you are going to give the money away just to make yourself feel like a good and honorable person.

(Since the above words are a bit harsh, I wish to clarify that when I say "you" I am not speaking of anyone specific. The "you" is general and could represent anyone, including myself.)

I hope this helps,
In love,

Blake

PS....

Quote:
Remember the Bible was written by man and has lost translation over the years

Indeed, the bible was written by human beings. However, if the bible had lost translation, then it was never God inspired to begin with. To say the bible has lost translation is to say that God has not been active on earth since the bible was written. That is nonsense. God is alive and active in people's lives. He has preserved the bible. The only problem, is not that the bible has lost translation, but that humans beings have fallen farther and farther away from truth. We do not have the capacity to understand unless we have God to help us.

2006/8/3 17:32Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

beenblake wrote:
I had wondered myself about the lottery and gambling being taught for a long time that it was a sin. I then decided to research the bible on the topic and really could not find anything on it. There are things circling around the issue, but nothing specific. Where in the bible does it talk about gambling?

Although the Bible does not mention the term gambling by name, the Christian principles are clear and plain. Compulsive gambling for stakes that make a difference is a violation of the Tenth Commandment forbidding coveting.

This commandment forbids greed and covetousness (Exodus 20:17; Deuteronomy 5:21). Indeed the apostle Paul labels covetousness as a form of idolatry—putting something else in the place of the true God.

Contrary to the advice of a popular actor in the role of a Wall Street baron in a popular movie several years ago, greed is not good. The kickback is far too high a price to pay. Simply put, we should be willing to work for what we earn and not increase our own wealth with the intention of depriving others.

The biblical proverbs, mainly written and compiled by King Solomon, are replete with admonitions that place the desire for riches and wealth in a proper, godly perspective. Taken together, they advocate patience, diligence, hard work and trust in God as preparatory steps toward success.

Here are 12 of them:

• "Treasures of wickedness profit nothing" (Proverbs 10:2).

• "He who has a slack hand becomes poor; but the hand of the diligent makes rich" (Proverbs 10:4).

• "The labor of the righteous leads to life" (Proverbs 10:16).

• "The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it" (Proverbs 10:22).

• "He who tills his land will be satisfied with bread, but he who follows frivolity is devoid of understanding" (Proverbs 12:11; compare 28:19 below).

• "Wealth gained by dishonesty will be diminished, but he who gathers by labor will increase" (Proverbs 13:11).

• "Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure with trouble" (Proverbs 15:16).

• "The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty; but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty" (Proverbs 21:5).

• "The borrower is servant to the lender" (Proverbs 22:7).

• "Will you set your eyes on that which is not? For riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away like an eagle toward heaven" (Proverbs 23:5).

• "He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows frivolity will have poverty enough" (Proverbs 28:19; compare 12:11 above).

• "Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me" (Proverbs 30:8, King James Version).

These biblical principles, expressed in differently worded proverbs, show us how to handle our material blessings in ways that lead to a better life, both materially and spiritually.

Gambling is not the answer to our material woes. God is! He teaches us a way of life that includes planning, hard work and real enjoyment.

2006/8/3 18:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy