SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What was so Bad about the Babel Tower?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

What was so Bad about the Babel Tower?

All this week I’m directing a children’s drama about the Babel Tower Project. So a lot of Babel Tower imagery is floating through my mind.

I remember learning this Bible story as a kid, but I never could understand what was so bad about making the tower. Maybe that was because those who taught it to me didn’t really “get it”. That’s why I am eager for my young actors to understand and effectively portray its subtle evil – even while they are having fun building their impressive tower (with painted cardboard boxes).

So pardon me for thinking “out loud” here.

We are the Babel Construction Crew
There ain’t nothing that we can’t do…..
You’ll be amazed at what we do
We work hard, don’t make no fuss,
The whole wide world will look up to us.
Going to push this baby through the sky.

Up and up unto the sky
No one before has built this high
We will make a NAME for ourselves.

Won’t God be surprised when we knock on his door!

(lines from rap by T. Creen)

They said to each other,
" Come, let us build ourselves a CITY
with a tower that reaches to the heavens,
so that we may make a NAME for ourselves
and not be scattered over the face of the earth." Gen. 11: 3, 4

"They said to each other,' Come, Let US..." [Gen. 11:3]
The word "us" here is the first indication that these people were uniting together to do their own thing. God was not invited.

They said, "Let us build a city with a TOWER"
Towers display human power and glory. They are also religious icons. In Europe you see towers and steeples that were remnants of past empires. Emperors and popes would rival for the control over the people. They expressed this competitive hunger for power by building bigger and taller buildings then their rival power. They said, essentially, “I’m the king of the castle, you’re the dirty rascal.”

"... that reaches the HEAVENS"
"The sky is the limit." So why not aim high? Isn't that a good aspiration? I suppose that depends what you are reaching for. The Babelites were striving for great human achievement. Perhaps they were aiming to be as gods or reach God. Maybe they were craving for some sort of eternal existence or encounter with a divine presence. And why not? "God has set eternity in the hearts of men." Ecc. 3:11. However, the way to God is down, not up. It is through the cross.

"...so that we may make a NAME for ourselves."
Everyone likes to have a name by which they know their identity – like a nationality, a heritage, or an organization. People organize to make a name for themselves. But as their kingdom grows bigger, pride sets in. They think they are so great, better than anyone else. Really they are getting used by their rulers who want total loyalty from everybody. Eventually they start grabbing for power and control.

Soon, the kingdom is competing with other kingdoms , which are also trying to preserve their names.

"... and not be SCATTERED over the face of the earth."
Scattered people are vulnerable. They have no great name, no government, no army, and no tower. No wonder the Babel builders wanted to huddle together, and not to be scattered. There is a sense of security and importance in numbers.

However, wherever people are huddled together in their own little kingdom, they don’t think about outsiders. Or outsiders are viewed as inferior or threatening. Therefore kingdom dwellers are not inclined to reach out in love and compassion to those on the outside.

Hopefully these few thoughts help explain why God confused the language of the Babel-builders. Essentially he foiled man’s potential to build one big kingdom – and thus destroy all of civilization.

Ever since the Babel event, man has continually been building kingdoms, and God has continually been scattering them. This is actually God’s mercy - expressed in his divine judgments.

“Seek ye first the Kingdom of God...’
Diane

2006/8/2 21:40Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: What was so Bad about the Babel Tower?

Very cool. I may borrow your idea if you don't mind.

2006/8/2 22:04Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I may borrow your idea if you don't mind

You mean you'd like to dramatize the story?
Diane

2006/8/2 22:14Profile
roadsign

Re: city-kingdoms

Another thought:

People have always tended to gravitate towards urban centers. In the city one can be immersed in its culture -- the many opportunities, bigger and better organizations, magnificent temples (religious places), great employment opportunities, exciting social gatherings, topnotch entertainment, a wide variety of material things, and much more.

However, in large cities degradation happens faster than in areas where the population is more scattered. This Babel City was on a path of self-destruction.

2006/8/3 7:08Profile
Rahman

Hi sis D and all ...

First off i'm no lettered Bible scholar so anyone with a correction, clarification or added insight is certainly welcome, but i'll take a stab at what i believe our Lord showed me during my research for The Called regarding the "why" and "significance" of the tower of Babel ... The tower of Babel via the fallen human nature of man, particularly at this time via a decendant of Ham, seems to be the first real significant showdown after the Flood between God (and His plan/people) and satan (and his repeated attempts to thwart God's plan/people by introducing his own) ...

In the natural we can first start off regarding the "why" by looking at the family lines and history involved here...

The scripture states;

Gen.9
[1] And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth. (meaning spread out all over as He's also told Adam and Eve)

[18] And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.
[19] These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
[20] And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
[21] And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
[22] And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
[23] And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
[24] And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
[25] And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
[26] And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
[27] God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

Noah held check with God in that God had a covenant with him ... Noah was the great patriarch of the continuance of mankinf - and he chose his son Shem as his successor in Genesis 9. Shem was the next covenant head of God's family. And now due to unfortunate circumstances brought on by Ham's indiscretion the men of Ham's lineage would soon not wish to be under the rule of the chosen son, Shem; and come to wish to "make a Shem (name)" for themselves. Thereby lending themselves to satan's use of attempting to set up his own earthly plan, apart from the authority of the chosen Shem of God. So here (i believe) we see in the natural the beginning of bad blood between Ham (and his crew) in direct opposition toward Shem (and his crew) ... First off Noah curses not Ham himself, but Ham's baby boy Canaan which probably got Ham ticked enough but then Noah says of Canaan #1 - a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren, and then #2 - Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant ... i also noticed this in reference to Japheth in regards Shem, Noah said, #3 - God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem ... i don't quite no exactly how Japheth dwelt in the tents of Shem, i know in my research that eventually for whatever reasons Noah's sons decided to form their own camps and eventually divided up the known earth amongst themselves, but the points that stood out to me are these ... #1 - Both other brothers are in subserviant positions to Shem, and #2 - In Noah's pronouncements only Shem (which means: name) is associated to HaShem (which i found out in Hebrew means: God) ...

It seems to me that in the supernatural HaShem (God), in the natural had already picked out Shem in association with His name ... i came to this conclusion when in my research i found that the following scripture actually reads;

Gen.11
[4] And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name (SHEM), lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

So (to me) regardless of whether Cush's son, Ham's grandson, Nimrod, and all associated with Him chose to defy HaShem Himself, or HaShem's chosen Shem, they'd set themselves up in total opposition to God's plan and dictates by deciding #1 - They weren't scattering anywhere ... #2 - that they'd make there own Shem (name) in direct opposition of the Shem (name), and subsequent family line God had designated in continuance of His plan ... and #3 that this "jealousy of the Hamites towards the Shemites was satan's perfect entry into using a segment of mankind to dismissing HaShem (the one and only true God) and the setting up of himself as their replacement deity ...

i personally don't think it was a accident that HaShem had Noah name his son Shem, and i think that much is missed in that short phrase "let us make a name (Shem) for ourselves" ...

You know as a side note i also wonder whether this legacy of Ham and his lineage being of initial use by the devil (as with the serpent) still collectively affects Africans today ... Not in that old misconception regarding Africans ending up as slaves in America via Noah's curse on Canaan, because the bible in Gen 10: 15-19 and history shows us that the Canaanites (which the Phillistines are included) were Hamites dwelling in and near the vacinity of Gaza (tho their descendants are still catching it too) ... But moreso say like Ham's son Cush, Nimrod's dad, who was also the father of the Ethiopians (who as a nation seem to starve even to this day), and Mizraim who is the father of the Egyptians (another people catching it), and Phut father of the Libyans (another poor people) ... It seems to me that the descendants of Ham, as a collective, suffer greatly amongst mankind, and i just wonder if the disrespectful legacy of Ham, and the outright satanically inspired rebellion of Nimrod still affects the lineage today? ...The Bible says that Nimrod set himself up as "a mighty hunter before the Lord", which to me says that this guy pretty much shook his fist to heaven. It was he who built a kingdom in order to further his claim for greatness that would eventually morph into Babylon ... Nimrod is a name in both Judaism and Christianity associated with great evil such as self deification and an encourager of all kinds of abominations. All i can say as an individual person of African descent is thank God for Jesus, the fact that i'm a vessel of mercy, and He placed me in America long after slavery! ... But now to the super-natural significance of "What was so Bad about the Babel Tower?"

What seems (to me) to have happened at the tower of Babel is satan's initial thrust at establishing both his earthly government (over man) and false religion (over man) devoid of the plans and dictates of the one true God ... And because God is the Master Planner and has His own agenda for the alloted timescale of the human race God came down and thwarted their efforts and scattered them instead. It was His punishment against the wicked sons of Ham who tried to circumvent His plan via the lineage of Shem who would eventually birth His Lamb, our wonderful Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, chosen from before the setting of the foundation of the world.

2006/8/3 16:16Profile
roadsign

Re: Is this drama religious?

A parent was wondering if this drama was “religious” . How do you answer that question? It is a community event, and I don’t belong to any of the churches in town. Yet, I know that because it is a Bible story, it would be viewed as religious. I said that the story is really against religion – ie, religious Babel structures. People sure understand that!

I do not defend our religious Babel Towers. Non-believers appreciate that. Perhaps making the distinction helps them be more open to the words of Jesus.

Quote:
What seems (to me) to have happened at the tower of Babel is satan's initial thrust at establishing both his earthly government (over man) and false religion (over man)

Rahman, no doubt a Satanic influence is the undercurrent force. Yet, I would add that Satan was given the power because the people DID NOT WANT GOD.

Diane

2006/8/4 6:23Profile
Rahman

Sis D you wrote;
" Rahman, no doubt a Satanic influence is the undercurrent force. Yet, I would add that Satan was given the power because the people DID NOT WANT GOD."

Amen ... Mankinds rejection of God and His plan is always a given to satan's filling that gap with his own agenda ... Part of the gist of my post was to emphasize the history that led up to why/how the Hamitic lineage's birthing a Nimrod to satan's use unfolded ...

But i also find it interesting that even tho God came down and busted up satan's initial central plan those people spread out over all the earth and took their own little bit of the Babel experiment with them eventually popping up man centered governmental empires and false religions sacrificing to demons all over the place ... Here's a link i posted before where a brother maps thruout time how the Babel experiment has been a scarlet thread thruout man's history ... Very interesting and informative series ...

Scarlet Threads, History of Mystery Babylon 1 - 12
Bob Faulkner
http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?keyword=scarlet

Also it hit me last night that i'd not given the true definition of "HaShem" ... It actually means: The Name, and when i first heard this it instantly made me think of "the Name that is above every name" - Phil. 2:9

Have a blessed day in Jesus! :-D

2006/8/4 9:56Profile
Rahman

Re: From Ararat to Abram ...

The following is chapter 9 and the very beginning of chapter 10 from the final Ms of "The Called" (so no page numbers) ... It pretty much takes you from Ararat to Abram's initial calling ... it is written as narrated by the first prophet Enoch, tho these chapters are based first on the Genesis account with excerpts from The Book of Jubilees interwoven ... i understand some to view this work as complete nonsense, but it still does not alter the fact that i believe our Lord gave it to me for reasons even yet to be revealed ... If you find this beneficial to further understanding then praise God, if you find this to make you want to tar and feather me then praise God i'm no where near your physical vacinity :-D ... i personally found it fascinating to look up some of these ancient names and finding out where they are today, tho many of Ham's landmarks i could not find tho we know today that hot + south = Africa ... Here's a modern map of the vacinity of the known world back then ... http://education.yahoo.com/reference/factbook/regional_maps/Africa;_ylt=AtD0IeM3X3gSK5kzUYgi8U3EecYF

CHAPTER 9

THE AFTERMATH

On the two hundred twenty-fourth day after the onset of the rain had the waters receded sufficient for the ark to rest upon the mountains of Ararat. Seemingly magical occurrences were birthed to the earth due to the flood. For the first time in history was man able to view the sun and the moon in total clarity. Even the color of the sky had changed. In daylight it was no longer a muted bluish green, but was now breathtakingly blue. Now there were clouds, fluffy, white, and massive. Noah and his family were initially greatly disturbed by the added brightness, but equally compensated by the novel spectacles they viewed. At night the heavens had become an ink black backdrop, contrasting in high resolution the breath taking paths of shooting stars. The stars were now so amazingly clear, and never had they realized them to be so numerous. Phenomena of second heaven once seen only by my own eyes, after the falling of the waters were now more clearly visible to these eight surviving souls. Another occurrence that greatly concerned Noah was the cold. Something was different about the air. It was no longer tropical. They had no way of realizing that the poles of the earth were freezing, for when the earth was encapsulated it held the sun’s warmth. Now that the insulating water blanket was gone, through process of evaporation, and condensation, rain, snow, and ice would now become natural to planet Earth.

The earth had soaked in a great deal of the water, while evaporation took its due to the heavens’. Three hundred and seventy-one days after Noah entered the ark did he step upon dry ground. He and his family were repulsed by what assaulted their vision. The earth was damp and hostile. Nothing moved; everything was drowned. The earth was a sickening gray; decayed remains littered the countryside. Globally the habitable land was reduced by the additional water upon the earth. There were new oceans, seas, lakes, mountains, and valleys. The weight of the water had made the earth’s crust less stable and subject to increased seismic activity. The earth and all therein was exhausted.

The Lord Jah-el once again spoke to Noah, and instructed him to release all of the animals brought into the ark. Afterwards Noah built an altar and sacrificed an array of clean animals, as well as incense of odor to the Lord. The Lord Jah-el was pleased with Noah’s offering and spoke to him, making a covenant with him, promising that never again would He destroy the earth with water, and as a sign of that covenant He placed the rainbow in the sky. Jah-el blessed Noah and his family, reiterating the procreation mandate. He told Noah that now all animal life was given to mankind as food and clothing but man was never to eat the blood thereof, for blood was sacred because it is the life and all life belongs to Jah-el. The Lord Jah-el also warned Noah that because of this decree would the animals of the earth grow to fear man, for now man was divinely mandated a hunter. Noah and his sons acknowledged the law of Jah-el, and all swore that they would not consume the blood.

In the six hundred and first year of his life did Noah set foot on the land, and in that year did he and his sons clear a place for themselves and they began to plant their seed stock. And Noah planted vines on the mountain and for a full three years did he guard the vines. And so it came to pass that at the very onset of the fourth year that he gathered the fruit thereof and made for himself wine which he aged for an additional year’s time. At the fifth year anniversary of their coming forth from the ark Noah presided over what had now become an annual family celebration of offering sacrifices to the Lord, and rejoicing and praising Him that He had saved them. Afterwards Noah brought forth his fermentation of the vine and did drink himself into inebriation, he and his household with him. At the close of the day, the festivities well ended, Noah retired to his tent. Being drunk, he disrobed and fell asleep naked upon his bed. Ham discovered his father’s condition, and proceeded to make sport of it to his brethren. But Shem and Japheth were not amused; and so walking backwards, so as not to see their father’s shame, covered him with a cloak. When Noah awakened and was told of his son’s folly he became sore enraged, and cursed Ham’s infant son Canaan saying, “Cursed be Canaan, an enslaved servant shall he be to his brethren.” Thus Noah cursed Ham’s baby son, knowing that this would afflict Ham even more than had the curse been made upon him. Then Noah continued, “Blessed be the Lord God of Shem, and Canaan shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth, and cause him to prosper.”

Upon hearing of the curse leveled against his youngest son, Ham was incensed. Then he, his wife, and his sons Cush, Mizraim, Put, and Canaan departed from his father, and Ham built his own settlement and called it Ne’elatama’uk. Japheth saw what his brother had done and became envious of him, and so he and his family left Noah and built a settlement and called it Adataneses. Shem eventually followed suit and built his family’s camp close to those of his father and brethren on the mountain, and called its name Sedeqetelebab. These are the sons of Shem shortly after his disembarking the ark: Elam, Asshur, Arpachshad, Lud, and Arram. And the sons of Japheth: Gomer, Magog, Madai, Juvan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.

In the course of time many more sons and daughters were born to the sons of Noah, and these intermarried. Arpachshad, Shem’s son born in the second year after the flood, grew to manhood and took to wife Rasu’eja, the daughter of Susan, the daughter of Elam, who was also Shem’s son. Rasu’eja bore a son and his name was called Kainam, and when he grew his father taught him writing. When he became of age he set out to find a suitable place of settlement that he might marry and father his children. In the midst of his quest did he come upon a writing that was carved on a rock. He transcribed it and sinned owing to it for it contained the teachings of the Evil Watchers in accordance with which they used to observe the omens of the sun, moon, and stars. So he wrote out the sayings and said nothing to Noah concerning it, fearing that Noah would be angered. So Kainam found his place and took to wife Melka the daughter of Madai, the son of Japheth. Then Melka bore a son to Kainam, and they named him Shelah. Shelah came of age, and took to wife Mu’ak. Mu’ak bore him a son, and he was named Eber. Eber grew, and took to wife Azurad. She bore him a son, and they called his name Peleg. In the days of Peleg did the sons of Noah begin to divide the earth. They divided in three parts, in lots. Shem’s lot became the middle of the earth, which was to become his and the inheritance of his children. So Shem’s land extended from the middle of the Ural Mountains; from the mouth of the water from the river Tanais westward to where this same river empties into the sea of Azov. All lands to the north are Japheth’s, but all land to the south down to the reaches of the Egyptian border was allotted to Shem. His portion extended west in a straight line to the Egyptian Sea, south to Africa to the extent of the Nile, and east toward Eden.

To Ham was allotted the second portion, beyond the Gi’hon, towards the south to the right of Eden, to the mountains of fire, and it extended to the west to the sea of Atel, and even farther west to the sea of Ma'uk. To the north as far as Gadir, and it goes forth to the coast of the waters of the sea to the waters of the Great Sea till it draws near to the river Gi’hon, and runs along the Gi’hon until it reaches the right of Eden.

To Japheth was allotted the final portion beyond the river Tanais, northeast to the whole region of Scythia, and to all land east there-of. It extends northerly to the mountains of Celt, toward Oceanus, and it goes forth to the east of Cadiz as far as the sea. It extends until it approaches the west of Fara, and it returns toward Aferag, and it extends easterly to the sea of Azov. It extends to the region of the Tanais River in a northeasterly direction until it approaches the boundary of its waters toward the Ural Mountains, and it turns round to the north. So Japheth received five great islands, and a great land in the north, in a land that is cold. Ham’s land is intense in heat, and the land of Shem is neither hot nor cold but is blended of both.

Ham then divided his land amongst his sons and the first portion did he give to Cush the lands toward the east, and to the west of him for Mizraim, and to the west of him for Put. Shem also divided amongst his sons; the first portion went to Elam to the east of the river Tigris till it approaches all of the land of India. To Asshur came the second portion, all the land of Asshur, and Nineveh, and Shinar, and to the borders of India. To Arpachshad all the land of the region of the Chaldees to the east of the Euphrates bordering on the Red sea, and all the land of Lebanon, Sanir, and Amana to the border of the Euphrates. To Aram, all the land of Mesopotamia between the Tigris and the Euphrates toward the north of the Chaldees to the border of the land of Asshur and the land of Arara. To Lud the mountains of Asshur and all therein till it reaches the Great Sea, and till it reaches the east of Asshur his brother. Japheth also divided his land so that in the far-reaching future his son Magog would become father of the Russian people, and Meshech and Tubal the fathers of the Turks, Madai the father of the Britons, Tiras the father of the Thracians, and Javan the father of the Greeks. From Cush would stem the Ethiopians; from Mizraim, the Egyptians; from Elam, the Orientals; from Put, the Libyans. The allotting of the land was in the permissive will of the Lord Jah-el, for it was in the distinctions of these peoples that He would play out His master plan.

At the onset of the falling of the floodwaters had the Lord Jah-el dispatched Michael and a legion of His holy angels. He sent them to dematerialize the two hundred Evil Watchers and to cast them into their holding places until the final judgment. These would not lead astray mankind ever again except for the five that were bound in the earth for a tribulation time far into the future. With these restrained, the dark lord Lucifer was forced from his relative ease of not having to coerce mankind into wickedness. As Jah-el had decreed hundreds of years afore this time, the earth was now being roamed by the disembodied spirits of the Nephilim, Eljo, and Eluid. Those neither human nor angelic beings who were now the invisible monstrosities of that unholy union. There was no place found for them in heaven, and no place for them in Sheol, and being in between worlds they strove to occupy bodies anew, for from bodies were they cast forth. It was by these wicked demon spirits that the dark lord Lucifer would wreak new havoc upon this new generation of mankind. He already had Kainam’s whetted appetite for the mysteries of the dark passages. Envy had already raised its ugly head amongst brothers, and now had the sons of Noah secretly divided the known earth that they may have individual possession instead of living as one family of man. Satan could see the pervasiveness of his evil far into the future. With his fallen angels, and the wicked demon spirits, he would lure countless captives into his partitions of the underworld.

So the dark lord Lucifer left his domain and called all the evil spirits to himself, and they bowed before his presence and did obeisance before him. Satan commanded them saying, “Plague the children of the earth and seek to inhabit and destroy their souls, that I may use them as pawns to unrighteousness and to cause sorrow to Jah-el through His worthless creatures of flesh and blood. Go forth and do as I have commanded.” There was no real sense of purpose in these disembodied spirits prior to Satan’s edict, but now they had a leader and their leader became their power. The spirits went forth attempting to possess whom they could, to work out once more the evil desires that consumed them. Without bodies they cannot experience the sensations of their wicked lust but with them would they reintroduce into the world antediluvian mass murders, serial killings, witchcraft, sorceries, idolatry, adulteries, gross fornication, sodomy, and all practices sore displeasing to the Lord of hosts.

The unclean spirits began to lead astray the children of the sons of Noah and to make them err from my writings, and to destroy them. Noah’s sons approached him and relayed to him the activities of the demons. Noah cried out to the Lord Jah-el, praying, “God of the spirits of all flesh who has shown mercy towards me, You who saved us from the waters of the flood, and have not caused me to perish as you did the sons of perdition, and have allowed us to live, and multiply in increase. Lord Thou knowest how the Evil Watchers, the fathers of these evil spirits, acted in my day, and for these spirits which are living I pray Thee imprison them, and let them not bring destruction upon my offspring.” But Satan was in heaven, expecting Noah’s plea, and he bade audience before Jah-el. “Lord Creator,” he petitioned, “Please allow some of them to remain before me that they may listen to my voice and do my bidding. For these are for leading astray, for the sons of men are wicked.” Then the Lord decreed that all but a tenth of them should be bound, and the remaining did the angels of heaven bind in the place of eternal condemnation.

The Lord Jah-el sent words to Noah of all of the ways of the malignant spirits, that his sons might recognize their wiles, and Noah wrote these in a book and gave it to his beloved son Shem. Shortly after this occurrence did Noah die, and he was buried on Mount Lubar in the land of Ararat. Noah’s life spanned nine hundred fifty years, then his spirit was transported to the place of the called. Three hundred forty-nine years had now elapsed from the time of Noah’s setting foot from the ark. Two thousand six years had elapsed from Adam’s creation to Noah’s death, and I had been in heaven one thousand nineteen years.

These are the generations of the sons of Noah—Shem, Ham, and Japheth: unto them were sons born after the flood. The sons of Japheth were Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras. The sons of Gomer were Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah. The sons of Javan were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

And the sons of Ham were Cush, Mizraim, Put, and Canaan. The sons of Cush were Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabtecha. Of the sons of Raamah were Sheba and Dedan. Cush begat Nimrod—who began to be a mighty one in the earth; the beginning of his kingdom was Babel—and Erech, Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar, and the cities Rehoboth, Calah, and Resen. Mizraim begat Ludim, Anamim, Lehabim, Naphtuhim, Pathrusim, and Casluhim out of whom came Philistim and Caphtorim. Canaan begat Sidon his firstborn, and Heth. From Canaan’s lineage eventually sprang the Jebusite, the Amorite, the Girgasite, the Hivite, the Arkite, the Sinite, the Arvadite, the Zemarite, and the Hamathite, and afterward were the families of these Canaanites spread abroad in great number in a land not their own, but that of Shem’s.

And the children of Shem were Elam, and Asshur who built Nineveh, and Arpachshad, Lud, and Aram. The children of Aram were Uz, Hul, Gether, and Mash. Arpachshad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber. Unto Eber were born two sons: Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother Joktan. Joktan begat Almodad, Sheleph, Hazar-maveth, Jerah, Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, Obal, Abimael, Sheba, Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab. These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations established in the earth after the flood.

CHAPTER 10

ABRAHAM AND ISAAC

Peleg the son of Eber, who was of the line of Shem, took to wife Lomna. She bore him a son and he called his name Reu, which means evil, for Peleg was marking by his son’s name his impression of the times. It was in the days of Peleg that men choose to forsake a portion of the procreative mandate of the Lord Jah-el given Noah and his sons. Instead of spreading out anew toward repopulation of the land they, under Nimrod’s leadership, decided to congregate in one place for the purpose of building for themselves a great city and strong tower. It was said that this tower would be built as an escape if the Lord Jah-el should destroy the earth by water a second time. They built upon this tower for forty-three laborious years. Then the Lord Jah-el grew wearisome of their vanity, and said within Himself, “Let Us go down to the surface of the earth and confound the language of the people, for they are all of one tongue.” Then the Lord touched the mouths of all the people of the earth and they began to speak in divers tongues. Confusion abounded and the people abruptly ceased their building. Then Jah-el sent a mighty wind and overthrew the tower, and the people scattered over the entire earth each in the company of those who spoke their new language. And the place of the tower in each new tongue became known by one name: Babel.

Ham and his sons proceeded to go forth and to occupy the land of their allotment but Canaan saw the land of Lebanon to the river of Egypt, that it was very good, and he went not into the land of his inheritance but dwelt in Lebanon. Ham his father, and Cush, and Mizraim his brothers said to him, “Canaan, you have settled in a land that is not yours. Do not dwell in the land of Shem, for to Shem and his sons did this land fall by lot.” But he did not hearken, but possessed the land, and for this reason did that region of Shem become known as the land of Canaan. Japheth and his sons moved toward the sea and dwelt in the land of their portion, but Madai spied out the land and found it not to his liking. He in turn begged a portion of land from Elam, Asshur, and Arpachshad, and his dwelling place came to be known as Media, and eventually into the far distant future as the kingdom of Persia.

Reu the son of Peleg, of the line of Shem, took to himself a wife, and her name was Ora, and she bore him a son, and they called him Serug. In Serug’s time did the sons of Noah begin to war with one another, and take captives, and to slay one another, and to spill and drink blood. They built strong cities, walls, and towers, and individuals began to exalt themselves above the nations, and to found kingdoms; all began to practice evil, and acquire arms, and to teach war, and to sell their fellow men into slavery. They made for themselves idols of gold, wood, and clay, and the evil spirits assisted, and seduced them into committing transgression. The dark lord Lucifer exerted himself to do all this, and he sent forth his angelic brethren to corrupt and destroy. Serug grew up and dwelt in Shinar, in the land of the Chaldees. He took to himself a wife, and her name was Melka, and she bore him Nahor his son. As Nahor grew, Serug taught him the ways of the Chaldees—divining and augury—and astrology.

Nahor took to himself a wife, whose name was I’jaska, and she bore him a son Terah. Terah took a wife, and her name was Edna, and she bore him a son and they called his name Abram. At Abram’s birth had I resided in the heaven of Jah-el nine hundred sixty-four years, Adam would have been one thousand nine hundred fifty-one years of age had he not eaten of the forbidden tree. As Abram grew in stature and mind he began to understand the errors of men, how they worshipped idols. At the age of fourteen did young Abram separate himself from the practice of idolatry. Abram began to pray to the Creator of all things that He might save him from the path of the ungodly, and that he should not fall into error. Then it came to pass, that one day Abram approached his father with regard to the futility of bowing before lifeless gods. Terah quickly hushed him, for these gods were his business and brought him great gain. It would not do for the purveyor of idols to openly admit their vanity. It would also not do for the son of an idol maker to express such views openly. Abram obeyed his father, but spoke also of the matter to his brothers. They too rebuked him, and became angry toward him; then Abram spoke of the matter no longer.

Abram took to himself a wife, and her name was Sarai. Haran his brother also took a wife, and she bore him a son and they called his name Lot. The matter of the idols plagued Abram’s mind so much so that in the dead of night he set fire to the house of idols, and all that was in the house was burned, and no man knew who had set the fire. But the men arose in the night, attempting to rescue their gods, and Haran hastened to save them and was consumed in the flames. Haran was buried at Ur, of the Chaldees.

Terah, being distraught over the death of his son, packed his belongings and journeyed to the land of Lebanon in Canaan, both he and his entire family, and there remained fourteen years. While there, on a night of the new moon, did Abram sit through the night, observing the stars in regard to the character of rain for the year. While engulfed in the task words came forth from Abram’s innermost being, and he prayed, saying, “My God, God most high, You alone are my God. Deliver me from the wiles of the spirits who have dominion over the thoughts of man. Establish me and my seed forever that we may not go astray from henceforth, and evermore.” Abram paused for a while, then proceeded to do something that brought great joy and gladness to the Lord Jah-el. Abram began to ask the Lord what should he do with his life, saying, “My God, my Master, what should I do with this life that You have so graciously bestowed to me. What should I do? Where should I go? Shall I return to Ur, or should I remain in this place? Show me my right path O God, and prosper it in the hands of Your servant, that I might fulfill it, and that I may not walk in deceitfulness of heart.”

Then the Lord Jah-el spoke to Abram, and said, “Get up from this place Abram, leave thy father’s presence, and go unto a land which I shall show you, and I will make you a great nation. I will bless you, and thou shall be a blessing to the earth, and in thee will all families of the earth be blessed. I will be your God, and the God of your son, and the God of your son’s son, and the God of all thy seed.” Then the Lord Jah-el sent Michael to Abram and designated that Michael become the protecting angel to Abram, and to all Abram’s seed until time should cease. Michael, doing Jah-el’s bidding, touched the mouth and ears of Abram that he might hear and speak with the language that had ceased from the earth since Jah-el confused the languages. Then Michael began to speak to Abram in Hebrew, for Hebrew was the language spoken since Jah-el had opened the mouth of Adam that he might converse. Jah-el had discontinued its use from the tower incident, but was now reinstating its usage in the mouth of Abram and his seed. Michael gave Abram the books of my writing for they were written in Hebrew, the tongue of creation. Abram took the books and transcribed them, and began to study them, and Michael made known to Abram all that he did not understand. After the six-month season of the rains did Abram speak of his departure to Terah his father, and Terah blessed him and said to him, “Go in peace.”

Abram journeyed from upper Lebanon and he took with him Sarai his wife, and his nephew Lot. Abram journeyed past Asshur on to Shechem, and dwelt near a lofty oak. Here Abram stopped to erect an altar, and do sacrifice unto Jah-el for the promise of the land. Abram continued in his quest, moving southward. He came to Hebron, a city, and dwelt there two years. Further southward he went to Bealoth; there was a famine in that land and so he went to Egypt. While in Egypt did the Pharaoh see Sarai, and was overwhelmed by her breathtaking beauty. He asked Abram concerning her and because of fear, for the Egyptians may have taken Abram’s life concerning Sarai, he told Pharaoh she was his sister instead of his wife. Then did the monarch of Egypt take Sarai with intent of knowing her, but the Lord Jah-el sent plagues upon Pharaoh’s house and his sorcerers told him that it was because of Sarai. Pharaoh gave Sarai back to Abram, indignant that Abram had not told him the truth concerning her, and Abram departed Egypt. Abram returned to Shechem; his dwelling place was bordered by Ai to the east and Bethel on the west. Here Jah-el spoke to the man Abram, again reassuring him of the promises concerning his seed and the land. Abram then moved, and settled in Hebron.

2006/8/7 16:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy