SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival - The Necessity for our day!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]The '59 Revival in England and Scotland[/b]
Mr. H. Johnson gives the following description of how one of these local revivals commenced, "A minister was depressed by the low spiritual state of his congregation. His 'cause' was like a stagnant pool. The news of the revival going on in other parts of the country had reached him. One day he suddenly decided to abandon the preparation of his sermon, and to devote himself to prayer. He pleaded earnestly and passionately for five hours."

"The next day was Sunday. On entering the pulpit the conviction seized him that something remarkable was about to happen. The people were unusually attentive. Their faces betokened solemnity and awe. When the service came to an end several persons were broken down under the Spirit's influnce. That service proved to be the beginning of a genuine and permanent revival."

2004/1/18 21:27Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]D.L. Moody[/b]
In the year 1871 a great hunger and thirst for spiritual power took possession of Moody. He said, "I was crying all the time that God would fill me with His Spirit. Well, one day, in the city of New York, God revealed Himself to me, and I had such an experience of His love that I had to ask Him to stay His hand. I went to preaching again. The sermons were not different; I did not present any new truths; and yet hundreds were converted."

2004/1/21 16:51Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]The Faith Mission[/b]
After a day of prayer and fasting he tells of one meeting. "The Chief (Mr. Govan) was speaking, while I sat behind praying, when suddenly "the Holy Ghost fell," and His power laid hold of the whole congregation. It was a holy and awful time, and scores of men and women were confessing sin and hindrance. Glory be to Him, our Lord was there to heal as well!"

2004/1/28 16:06Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Hudson Taylor[/b]
James Hudson Taylor was born on May 21st, 1832. Before his birth he had been dedicated to God, and at the early age of give he was expressing desire to be a missionary to China. This ideal took more and more possession of him as the years passed by. After he left school and commenced to work, he experienced a period of spiritual darkness and uncertainity, but at the age of seventeen he definetely accepted the Lord Jesus as Saviour.

A short time later he is on his knees surrendering his whole being and future to God. He wrote, "Never shall I forget the feeling that came over me. Words can never describe it. I felt I was in the presence of God. And from that time the conviction never left me that I was called to China."

2004/1/28 16:11Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]C.H. Spurgeon[/b]
In his Autobiography Spurgeon reveals the secret of his amazing ministry. "When I came to New Park Street Chapel, it was but a mere handful of people to whom I first preached; yet I can never forget how earnestly they prayed. Sometimes they seemed to plead as though they could really see the Angel of the covenant present with them, and as if they must have a blessing from Him. More than once, we were all so awe-struck with the solemnity of the meeting, that we sat silent for some moments while the Lord's power appeared to overshadow us; and all I could do was to pronounce the Benediction, and say 'Dear friends, we have had the Spirit of God here very manifestly tonight; let us go home and take care not to lost His gracious influnces.'"

2004/1/29 15:17Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]George Muller[/b]
"In order that it might be quite plain that God was helping His servant, he determined to abstain from any appeals to man for financial assistance. God honoured his faith, and so blessed and prospered his dependent servant, that, from a small beginning in a hired house, he went on and expanded the work until he had built five large Orphan Houses, with accommodation for 2,050 children.

God enabled him to continue in this service for sixty-two years, until at the age of ninety-two years, the Lord called him Home. Up to that time, 9,725 children had entered the Homes, and $988,829 pounds had been recieved for the Orphans, as the result of prayer to God alone."

2004/1/29 18:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Billy Bray[/b]
From his conversation Billy Bray "was filled with a holy rapture of soul which nothing could restrain. His words, his tones, his looks, had a magnetic power. He could no more help speaking of Christ and His salvation than the sun can help shining, or the trees in the spring can help budding and blossoming into beauty and life."

This little Cornish miner was on fire for God, and for the rest of his life he preached the Gospel faithfully, inspired the Christians, visited the sick, and with his own hands built churches. The story of his life has been a blessing to thousands; it is a revelation of how God can take up the "weak things" and use them for His glory.

2004/1/30 17:23Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Sam Jones[/b]
After being saved from the depths of sin Sam Jones said of the Lord Jesus, "There is music in His name, a charm in His presence, and life in His touch." In 1872 he entered the ministry and soon he was recognized as a man who possessed "the eloquence of earnestness and action, the fire of glow and passion, the surprises of thought, the wit, humour, ridicule, irony, sarcasm, invective, pathos, sympathy, love, humanity, and faith" which made him the most sensational preacher in the American pulpit.

But he was also endued with power from on high. Wherever he went the churches were stirred and sinners were converted by hundreds and thousands. In one meeting he said, "Thank God, He is a prayer-hearing and prayer-answering God! I believe there is a truth in God, and virtue in the blood of Christ, and power in the Holy Ghost. If these divine agencies will work with us, there will be a work done in this city that will outlive the stars."

2004/2/4 8:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Revival in Uganda[/b]
This revival was led by Pilkington in 1893. Hundreds were converted and a blessed influnce extended far and wide. Pilkington wrote, "A hundred thousand souls brought into close contact with the Gospel; two hundred buildings raised by native Christians in which to worship God; two hundred native evangelists and teachers entirely supported by the native Church; the power of God shown by changed lives; and all this in the centre of the thickest spiritual darkness in the world."

The secret of this movement was that the leaders realized their absolute powerlessness to meet the need of the people and yielded themselves to the Holy Spirit.

2004/2/4 8:07Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Pandita Ramabai's Revival[/b]
In the year 1901 Pandita Ramabai's work at Mukti was enjoying much blessing. Twelve hundred converts were baptized in two months, but some of the workers continued to cry to God for greater blessing.

News of hte Welsh Revival, 1904, stirred Ramabai, and she started daily prayer meetings for revival in India. In June, 1905, five hudred and fifty were meeting twice daily to pray for revival.

The answer came suddenly. One of the girls recieved the Holy Spirit, and was so transformed that soon all the girls on that compound were on their knees, weeping, and confessing their sins.

Helen Dyer writes, "The next evening, while Ramabai was expounding John 8 in her usual quiet way, the Holy Spirit descended with power, and all the girls began to pray aloud so that she had to cease talking. Little children, middle-sized girls, and young women, wept bitterly, and confessed their sins. Some few saw visions and experienced the power of God, and thigns too deep to be described. Two little girls had the spirit of prayer poured on them in such torrents that they continued to pray for hours. They were transformed with heavenly light shining on their faces."

"Such repentance, such heart-searching, such agony over sin, and tears, as they cried for pardon and cleansing and the baptism of the Holy Ghost! Then a baptism like fire within came upon them. They seemed to have their eyes opened to see the 'body of sin' in themselves. Then came a strong realization of Christ's work upon the Cross; then peace, followed by intense joy. It often took a soul hours to pass through all these experiences. The Lord used the Word greatly."

"The work went on, and a spirit of prayer and supplication for a revival in India was poured out like a flood." The spirit of prayer possessed the people. "Waves of prayer go over the meetings like the rolling thunder; hundreds pray audibly together."

This revival continued for over a year, and it was a great blessing to Christians all over India.

2004/2/10 14:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy