SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival - The Necessity for our day!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Revival - The Necessity for our day!

[b]Oswald J. Smith[/b]
The Greatest need of the world and the Church to-day is a mighty manifestation of the Spirit of God. Before the days of the Finney revivals there were only 200,000 church members in the United States. When Finney ended his ministry, over three million had joined the churches. The greatest days of the Church have been the days of revival. Nothing can take its place. The best that man can do does not meet the need. Only as God comes upon the scene in revival power are the problems solved.
-Oswald J. Smith

2004/1/16 18:08Profile
moreofHim

Re: Revival - The Necessity for our day!

Unfortunately, there are more people going to church today in America than ever before- but they're All ASLEEP!

Who wants to go in and WAKE THEM UP!? :-o

Volunteers anyone? :-D

~Chanin

2004/1/16 18:16Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Who wants to go in and WAKE THEM UP!?

Use US Lord! Use ME!

[b]Stewarton Revival[/b]
This revival began in 1625, and continued for some years. Closely following was the revival at Kirk of Shotts in June, 1630. Here a large number of godly persons gathered for several days of prayer, and conference. At least one whole night was spent in prayer, and when John Livingstone preached, about five hundred persons were converted.

2004/1/16 19:15Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]Johathan Edwards' Revival[/b]
Edwards reveals the secret of this revival. He said: "The spirit of those that have been in distress for the souls of others, so far as I can discern, seems not to be different from that of the apostle who travailed for souls." On the evening of the day preceding the outbreak of the revival, some Christians met, and spent the whole night in prayer.

"There was scarcely a person in the town, (Northampton), old or young, left unconcerned about the great things of the eternal world. the work of conversion was carried on in a most astonishing manner, and increased more and more; souls did as it were come by flocks to Jesus Christ. This work of God soon made a glorious alteration in the town; so that in the spring and summer following, the town seemed to be full of the presence of God; it was never so full of love, nor of joy, and yet so full of distress, as it was then."

"There were remarkable tokens of God's presence in almost every house. It was time of joy in families on account of salvation being brought unto them; parents rejoicing over their children as new born, and husbands over their wives, and wives over their husbands. The goings of God were seen in His sanctuary, God's day was a delight, and His tabernacles were amiable."

2004/1/16 19:23Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]Brainerd's Revival[/b]
After some years of difficult and almost fruitless work among the North American Indians, David Brainerd saw a powerful revival commence in July, 1945. It was in answer to agonizing prayer.

Brainerd wrote, "July 26th. In the evening, God was pleased to help me in prayer, beyond what I have experienced for some time. My soul was especially drawn out for the enlargement of Christ's kingdom, and for the conversion of my poor people; and I relied on God for the accomplishment of that great work."

"My soul, my very soul longed for the ingathering of the poor heathen; and I cried to God for them most willingly and heartily, and yet because I could not but cry. I longed that the remaining part of my life might be filled up with more fervency and activity in things of God."

This revival among the Indians continued for some years, and produced lasting results.

2004/1/16 20:01Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]Quaker Revival[/b]
In the middle of the seventeenth century there were thousands of men and women who were adrift from the Church of England. they were seeking for the truth, and were like sheep without a shepard. In addition to Presbyterians, Independants, and Baptists, we read of Sabbatarians, Seekers, Traskites, Millenaries, Familists, Etheringtonians, Fifth Monarychy men, Muggletonians and many others.

George Fox was born in 1624. He was brought up in a Puritan home, and could say, "When I came to eleven years of age, I knew pureness and righteousness. The Lord taught me to be faithful inwardly to God, and outwardly to man." But in spite of his good life Fox was not at peace; he went through years of spiritual darkness and conflict until one day he seemed to hear a voice say to him, "There is one, even Christ Jesus, that can speak to thy condition." He said, "My heart did leap for joy. My desires after the Lord grew stronger. Though I read the Scriputres that spake of Christ and of God, yet I knew Him not but by revelation, as He who hath the key did open, and as the Father of Life drew me to His Son by His Spirit." In this way God prepared Fox to be His messenger to seeking souls all over the land.

William Penn wrote of Fox, "He had an extraordinary gift in opening the Scriptures. But above all he excelled in prayer. The most living, reverent frame I ever beheld, was his in prayer." His personality radiated the holiness, and majesty, and love of God. Sinners were afraid and often trembled in his presence.

Fox said that the Lord told him, "If but one man or woman were raised up by His power to stand and live in the same spirit the apostles and prophets were in, he or she should shake all the country for ten miles around."

There were between fifty and sixty thousand Quakers in England at the end of the first forty years of the Quaker revival. They were more numerous than the Roman Catholics, Presbyterians, Independants, and Baptists combined. In proportion to the population they were even more numerous in America, where they had founded two colonies, and where they included more than half the inhabitants in serveral other important districts.

2004/1/16 22:03Profile
Christian

Washington DC

Re: Revival at all cost:

Revival at all cost:

My dear people, do we have any conception of what revival means? When God steps down to take the field and reveal unto us the darkness of our own hearts. It is a mighty thing to be in the presence of an angry God. For how can Gods anger not burn against this nation of sodomy (USA)?

Are we willing to wait upon God, to have no self-interest, to be nothing, hid away in the cleft of the Rock? Are we willing to fast and pray through the night? Are we willing to say no to anything that would offend him who died for us? Shall we not start with refusing to watch television and keep our souls undefiled? Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord, him who has clean hands. Have we resisted temptation unto the shedding of blood? Will we allow Jesus to set us free at last from that which hinder our relation to him?

The early church would be ask to swear allegiance to Caesar, if not they would see their children and wife devoured by lions. Do we truly want a revival that will cost us our work, our home, our family our own lives. Or do we just want people to accept Christ with little change to our American way of life.

No my friends when revival comes it will turn this society upside down. Then we will see Satan unleash his terror against the godly. Oh Lord, have mercy on us; protect us in the day of your wrath. Make our thoughts a clean sanctuary for the Holy Ghost to dwell in, at all cost.

2004/1/17 2:44Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Are we willing to wait upon God, to have no self-interest, to be nothing, hid away in the cleft of the Rock? Are we willing to fast and pray through the night? Are we willing to say no to anything that would offend him who died for us? Shall we not start with refusing to watch television and keep our souls undefiled? Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord, him who has clean hands. Have we resisted temptation unto the shedding of blood? Will we allow Jesus to set us free at last from that which hinder our relation to him?

I can't add anything to this :-( are we willing? God help us to answer this call.

[b]Finney's Revivals[/b]
The secret of Finney's power was the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and a life of prayer. He wrote, "In regard to my own experience, I will say that unless I had the spirit of prayer I could do nothing. If even for a day or an hour I lost the spirit of grace and supplication, I found myself unable to preach with power and efficiency, or to win souls by personal conversation. In this respect my experienc was what it has always been."

"I have said, more than once, that the spirit of prayer that prevailed in those revivals was a very marked feature of them. It was common for young converts to be greatly exercised in prayer; and in some instances so much so, that they were constrained to pray whole nights, and until their bodily strength was quite exhausted, for the conversion of souls around them. There was a great pressure of the Holy Spirit upon the minds of Christiansl and they seemed to bear about with them the burden of immortal souls."

Those who have studied the statistics involved, state that only thiry percent of the converts of the best evangelists stand, but they further state that eighty-five percent of those converted in Finney's revivals proved by their subsequent lives that they were soundly converted.

2004/1/17 16:08Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]Revival in Kilsyth and Aberdeen[/b]
"They broke forth simultaneously in weeping and wailing, tears and groans. Some were screaming out in agony; others- among these, strong men- fell to the ground as if they had been dead." Burns continued preaching powerfully for some days, and the awakening spread. All day long, in the vestry, the session house, and the manse the anxious were being prayed with and instructed.

In August Burns returned to Dundee, and at the close of a prayer meeting told the story of the revival in Kilsyth. As he spoke the power of God descended on the people, and all were bathed in tears. From that evening, meetings were held every day for weeks. The whole town was moved, and dozens of prayer meetings sprang into existence. Burns spent many a day and many a night on his face before God. It was from long seasons of prayer, meditations, and humbling before God that he went forth to preach.

2004/1/17 16:30Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

[b]1859 Revival in Ireland[/b]
In 1857 the Sunday School teachers began to hold a weekly prayer meeting, and as a result they soon noticed a marked increase of attnetion and seriousness among the children.

After some months, four of the young men who were connected with this prayer meeting began a secret prayer and fellowship meeting to pray for revival. Rev. W. Gison records, "For a few months they had to walk by faith. They wrestled on. They prevailed." The first conversion in answer to their prayers ocurred in December, 1857. From that time on, "Humble, grateful, loving, joyous converts multiplied. The prayer meetings began to be thronged." This work of grace continued and converting sinners. "The process was a purely spiritual one, the Spirit of God acting through the medium of the truth upon the spirit of man."

2004/1/18 15:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy