SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Thorn in the flesh

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Thorn in the flesh

I was wondering, what are some opinions on what exactly Pauls "thorn in the flesh" was.

J-bird

2006/7/28 14:33
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Thorn in the flesh

You're refering to 2 Cor 12 where Paul speaks about his thorn in the flesh. Fact is we will never know. It could refer to physical infirmity, who knows. Whatever it was, it made him dependant on God. Without it, pride and arrogance might have won. Still, we don't know, and it doesn't matter. God bless.

2006/7/28 15:32Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Thorn in the flesh

A couple of previous ...

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7598&forum=35#57883]Paul's Thorn in the Flesh[/url]

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=5212&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]The key to deliverance, is the answer to the question, why can't I stop sinning?[/url]

2006/7/28 16:07Profile
Logic

Re:

crsschk wrote:

Quote:

A couple of previous ...

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7598&forum=35#57883]Paul's Thorn in the Flesh[/url]

I agree to this.

2006/7/29 17:24Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

John R Rice talked about this in his book, 'Prayer, Asking and Receiving.' The point he made the most was that the thorn, from the text, was 'the messenger of Satan to buffet me.' I don't remember whether he agreed with the thorn being a physical ailment or not, but I just remember the fact that Rice said over and over how it was a messenger of Satan.

So it wasn't something natural and it wasn't something that he brought on himself. It was a direct attack from the evil one.

Ray Comfort commented on this also, talking about how he was tormented in a 'wilderness experience' for some years. He actually tried to exorcise himself of the demonic attack, but continually felt like he was being hung over the pit of hell.

I think that this is just God's way to deal with those who are serious about serving Him. He is going to give all those who follow Him a cross, and the cross only has one purpose: breaking. None other. It does not edify, it does not even condemn, it has no will of itself, for it is only a tool in the hand of our Lord to stop our will, our way, and our words, from doing what we think they ought. I think that the messenger of Satan is of the same purpose.

2006/7/29 19:34Profile

Re:

Quote:

letsgetbusy wrote:
John R Rice talked about this in his book, 'Prayer, Asking and Receiving.' The point he made the most was that the thorn, from the text, was 'the messenger of Satan to buffet me.' I don't remember whether he agreed with the thorn being a physical ailment or not, but I just remember the fact that Rice said over and over how it was a messenger of Satan.

So it wasn't something natural and it wasn't something that he brought on himself. It was a direct attack from the evil one.

Ray Comfort commented on this also, talking about how he was tormented in a 'wilderness experience' for some years. He actually tried to exorcise himself of the demonic attack, but continually felt like he was being hung over the pit of hell.

I think that this is just God's way to deal with those who are serious about serving Him. He is going to give all those who follow Him a cross, and the cross only has one purpose: breaking. None other. It does not edify, it does not even condemn, it has no will of itself, for it is only a tool in the hand of our Lord to stop our will, our way, and our words, from doing what we think they ought. I think that the messenger of Satan is of the same purpose.

amen and amen! Very well said

2006/7/31 9:54

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy