Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The fundamentals

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

The fundamentals

Hebrews 11:6 says "Without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

We know that faith in Christ is what saves a man, nothing more, nothing less. But just as good works are the natural evidences of true faith in Christ, sound doctrine must be as well. Many times in the Scriptures are we told to test doctrine, and seperate from those who hold false doctrines.

These are what i hold to be the fundamental beliefs of the Christian faith.

The Deity of Christ
His virgin birth
His vicarious atonement
His bodily resurrection
His personal, imminent return
Inspiration of the Scriptures

To clarify, i don't believe a person is a Christian because he/she believes these things, i believe that a person believes these things because he/she is a Christian.

On the other hand, just because someone believes these things does not mean that they are a Christian. Many enemies of the Cross walk the walk, and talk the talk, but are inwardly ravening wolves.

Mainly, i want to know what others here view to be fundamental to the faith.

2006/7/23 16:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: The fundamentals

I posted this awhile back being a simple reminder of what you stated above in visual form:

[b]Preach from this Platform[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/images/abell-057.jpg

2006/7/23 16:55Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

The Deity of Christ
His virgin birth
His vicarious atonement
His bodily resurrection
His Spirit birthed in believers
His Life our Life
His shout
His personal, imminent return
His return with us to earth
Inspiration of the Scriptures

Colossians 2:8-10 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

If in Christ all the God Head dwells bodily, then in the believer dwell all the God Head of Christ in us bodily. This is a great mystery.

Colossians 1:26-28 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

"Christ in you the Hope of Glory", All the God Head of God the Father in Christ dwell in us the Hope of Glory.

Thus, "His Spirit birthed in the believer".

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
The Logos of God the Word Himself, Jesus Christ is our Incorruptable Seed birthed in us.

John 3:5-6 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

The Water is Christ Himself a real Person, the Spirit is His Spirit, now our spirit. The spirit of Satan out, defeated, and the Spirit of Christ in us, "The Hope of Glory". A Person and His Spirit.

Jhn 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

Jhn 4:11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Who is this living water? John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. He is our Well of water springing up.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/7/23 17:51Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Quote:
I posted this awhile back being a simple reminder of what you stated above in visual form:

Yes, i remember that picture. So very true. With the false gospel of "accept Jesus so you can go to heaven" being preached these days, no wonder so many don't enter into His fulness.

And really, (this going along with the post made by Christinyou) to sum it up, Christ is really the only fundamental. This is where all fundamental beliefs lie: in Christ Himself.

"Christ is all and in all."

2006/7/24 0:29Profile
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

The most dangerous deceivers in the world are fundamentalists that preach the false gospel - "Accept Jesus so you can go to heaven." They take the fundamentals of the Gospel and make improper applications with those truths which in essence means that they preach "another Jesus" and not the one revealed in Scripture.

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/7/28 17:26Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Amen. This was spelled out well in Paris Reidhead's[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=282]Ten Shekels and a Shirt[/url].

2006/7/28 17:54Profile

Hey there, I am the new guy on the block.

The author of Hebrews says something interesting about the foundational, "elementary teachings" of the faith-

"Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of:

1. repentance from acts that lead to death
2. and of faith in God,
3. instruction about baptisms,
4. the laying on of hands,
5. the resurrection of the dead,
6. and eternal judgment.

And God permitting, we will do so.

Interesting that most of these things on this list are considered meat in today's church. Hebrews says they are milk. Perhaps Christians need to learn to crawl before we can walk...

Looking foward to joining this community.

-K DAY

2006/7/28 18:05
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Hi :)

Quote:
Interesting that most of these things on this list are considered meat in today's church. Hebrews says they are milk. Perhaps Christians need to learn to crawl before we can walk...

That is true. And if the milk is considered meat, what is the milk then? Maybe that is the answer as to why so many have watered down the Gospel. Each one of these things have either been substituted or left out in modern "gospel" preaching.

[b]1. repentance from acts that lead to death[/b] repentance has been substituted by a "change of mind" rather than turning from sin
[b]2. and of faith in God,[/b] true faith in God that flings itself on Him for all things has been substituted by "accept Jesus so you can go to heaven and have peace"
[b]3. instruction about baptisms,[/b] left out
[b]4. the laying on of hands,[/b] left out
[b]5. the resurrection of the dead,[/b] this has become the whole reason for believing
[b]6. and eternal judgment.[/b] left out so as to not offend "seekers"

All for the purpose of tickling itching ears.

2006/7/28 18:22Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Why do we make or list "fundamentals"? Does God work within a formula?

Curious to hear honest thoughts,

Blake

2006/7/28 18:28Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Quote:
Why do we make or list "fundamentals"? Does God work within a formula?

The Bible clearly says that certain doctrines about Christ are essential to the faith. Whoever doesn't believe these doctrines about Christ, isn't really saved.

2 John 9 "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."

2006/7/28 19:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy