SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : KJV..........

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
WorldView

Davao, Philippines

Re:

NASV, good stuff there. It works for me. Once had a guy that I worked with say that my NASV is of the devil and that only an authorized version of KJV is the legitimate Word of God. I would be lying if I said that I wasn;t a bit shaken, so I did a study on the different versions of the Bible.

My conclusion. Make sure you have a Bible that you can understand.

Handing a KJV to a new convert greatly intimidates them, and they rarely read it, in my experience.

2006/7/24 4:49Profile

Re: KJV.......

Quote:
and they rarely read it, in my experience.

What do you say and how do you look when you offer a new convert a KJV?

You say: 'This Bible contains the word of God, and He will speak to you every time you read it. Like any unfamiliar text, you might need to use a dictionary for words you don't understand, but you'll get along fine!' Then you smile - encouragingly.... :-)

2006/7/24 6:07

Re:

Quote:
and they rarely read it, in my experience

I have found that the main reason new converts may shy away from the KJV is because many of them already have been exposed to prejudiced opinions against the KJV by Christians. And make no doubt, there is a prejudice against it. It's mainly a prejudice propogated by the publishing companies. How many modern versions would they sell if they admitted the KJV was the best English version? Not many.

But people I have led to the Lord have always received a KJV from me, and most of them stick to it. If they have been truly born again and filled with His Spirit they have a hunger for the Word... and they will read. I've found that those who dont have probably not truly been born again. Not just because they dont desire God's Word, but because they exhibit no other fruit either.

Krispy

2006/7/24 8:44
W_D_J_D

Re:

Amen Krispy u took the words right out of my mouth.................

When i first believed i recievd a NIV which i thought was great..............

little did i know.....i look back now and regret that day i continued in that bible......

KJV is what the Lord is using to talk to me with.....

"Give me that ol time religion give me that....."

God bless yall!

2006/7/24 9:45Profile
WorldView

Davao, Philippines

Re:

Well, I disagree that the KJV is the best english version but I dont want to get into a translation war. I will tell you one thing though, your not going to cnovince me otherwise so dont waste your time.

I dont dislike the KJV. I like other versions better.

And by the way, I was just giving my experience of what I have encountered. I have no doubt that there are new converts that have begun and continued with the KJV but I find more new converts that are intimidated by it. Can a person learn and grow from the KJV? Most certainly.

Quote:

W_D_J_D wrote:
KJV is what the Lord is using to talk to me with.....

I can agree with that. Everyone should use the version that the Lord best ministers to them with. It is just that for some people they need a translation that they dont have to retranslate into current day English. If KJV works for you then fine, if it dfoesn't then fine.

It irritates me when people rise up and say that you have to have KJV an anything else is incorrect, which begins to sow confusion and doubt in peoples minds, especially in new converts, causing them to switch from a translation that they were being matured through to one that doesnt minister to them as well, due to the old english grammer (once again, I am nmot imlpying that this is the case for every new convert). I think some people (not necessarily refering to people here), just need to shut their mouth and work on their own salvation rather then tell people who are doing well, and may even be doing better than them how to work out theirs. I'm not suggesting that we refrain from ministering to people but to be lead by the Spirit in what we do and say that way we are not sowing confusion.

I have a low tolerance for people who sow confusion, especially those who do it out of religious traditions.

2006/7/24 12:15Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Amen worldview

2006/7/24 12:30Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Christinyou's

Quote:
The NKJV, NIV and others takes away from the God Head putting His SON in the believer and then the Life of the believer not being the Life of Christ. It puts man in Charge of his own destiny as it was before the Cross. This is a real attack on the believer depending on the Christ In Him to bring forth the deity of Christ in the spirit of believer.

WorldView's
Quote:
Well, I disagree that the KJV is the best english version but I dont want to get into a translation war. I will tell you one thing though, your not going to cnovince me otherwise so dont waste your time.

The folly is that we do get into these 'version wars'. The KJV is an excellent translation with some severe weaknesses but with a great heritage. To question it is, in some circles, just not acceptable. Instead of putting the KJV in the 'blue corner' and the NKJV/NIV/NASV/ESV in the 'red corner' we ought to be able to examine each one on its own terms and not to compare one against another.

I have probably written more about the weaknesses of the KJV than any one else on Sermonindex and yet I continue to use it for study, devotion and preaching. Each of these BIble versions has its own weaknesses and strengths. The comparison 'chart' that Greg referred to in his earlier post is a case in point. It lists 'errors and omissions' in the NKJV. What it should have called its comparison was 'Differences to the KJV'. The implication is that the KJV is already perfect and any change is inevitably an 'error or omission'. The listing ends with the sentence
Quote:
The NKJV also omits historical Christological headings
in the Old Testament (Isaiah, Psalms, Song of Solomon, etc.)

What this is saying is that the later printings of the KJV were more inspired than the earlier printings and the editorial comments now have the same authority as the inspired text. This, of course, is nonsense but it is the same kind of crazy reasoning we have seen on SI where people declared that the KVJ was more accurate than the Textus Receptus!

What version would I recommend to a new convert? Without a doubt the NKJV. One of its greatest strengths is that it is a such a good introduction to the KJV! ;-) Each version will have strengths and weaknesses. It is folly to pretend otherwise.

2006/7/24 12:36Profile
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Re:

Quote:
Everyone should use the version that the Lord best ministers to them with. It is just that for some people they need a translation that they dont have to retranslate into current day English. If KJV works for you then fine, if it doesn't then fine.

Amen. I grew up with the KJV [CEV], re-started out with a NIV STUDY to learn the truth, have used a NASB to dive deeply into the precepts of the Word and have enjoyed study with the apmlified but NOW am now using the HCSB after reading the following article two years ago and it is speaking volumes to me...
Quote:
[b]King James Only, Sometimes, Never Examining the Modern Versions of the Bible[/b]
William D. Barrick, Professor of Old Testament, The Master’s Seminary

What Bible translations are best for use in the pulpit? Which ones are best for private Bible study? Good questions like these are the reason for this seminar. Contrary to the impression that the seminar title might give, I will not be lecturing on the “King James Only” debate. Our purpose is to answer the preceding questions about Bible translations. Pastors and churches ask about modern Bible translations because they want to use the most accurate Bible translation available for preaching, teaching, and personal devotional reading.

With the plethora of so-called “literal” Bible translations available on the market, how is a pastor or church member to know which is the best choice? We will not look at obviously appropriate Bible translations in this seminar (e.g., Revolve New Testament). Instead, we will focus on the following versions: King James Version (KJV), New King James Version (NKJV), New American Standard Bible (NASB), New American Standard Bible Update (NASU), English Standard Version (ESV), New
Revised Standard Version (NRSV), New International Version (NIV), and the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). These eight versions have the greatest potential of being chosen by evangelicals for pulpit, pew, or personal use. For those of you who are already wondering why the more dynamic NIV is listed with the seven more formal translations, just stick around. There is method to my madness.

Interested? Read more[url=http://audio.gracechurch.org/shepnew/2006notes/King%20James%20Only,%20Barrick.pdf]HERE[/url]

2006/7/24 12:47Profile

Re:

Quote:
I will tell you one thing though, your not going to cnovince me otherwise so dont waste your time.

While I do take a strong stand for the KJV, I dont think I have ever muttered those words. I certainly hope that is not true of all of your opinions that you bring to the table on this forum. I know for me, someone who takes a strong stand on most things, I have had my mind changed on several different issues because of this forum and those involved.

If someone showed me compelling evidence that I should leave the KJV for a modern version (and I was a die hard NIV supporter earlier in my Christian walk) I would be open to change. So far it hasnt happened... but my point is that when we enter into some of the discussions here we should at least be open to hearing what others have to say.

Krispy

2006/7/24 13:09
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
The KJV is an excellent translation with some severe weaknesses

Phil,

Could you please tell me what these "severe weaknesses" are? I am not an authoritarian on Bible versions; I have a copy of about every modern version you can think of (my favorite paraphrase is probably JB Phillips), but after reading and examining all of them, the Holy Spirit has always led me back to the Authorised 1611 KJV with the Textus Receptus parrallel for my serious study and meditation. I know the KJV in itself is a revision of the Bishop's bible. And the reason I shelved my NASV and NKJV is because of the many omissions from the KJV and the Textus Receptus.

I respect your knowledge! Like I said, Bible versions are not my forte. Since I've come to rely so strongly on the KJV, I'd like to know of the "severe" weaknesses it has (does the 1550 Stephens Greek have the same weaknesses?) and what versions I can use to offset them.

Much blessings to you, brother!

Brother Paul

2006/7/24 15:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy