SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : dont judge

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

dont judge

i often hear this.. last time it was from my wife, and that time i belive she was right on that on what my motive were to judge, but shall we never judge? as i understand the scripture we should judge like jesus? or as the word says? if the bible say its wrong to do something shouldent i say that to? but how can one say and not judge? if i say that murder is wrong no one says anything becuse most of us agree.

but then comes this thing on pointing out false teachings and false prophets, paul warned people, he even named names and said stay away!
then shouldent we do so? but i often meet people that when i say something like that....you shouldent judge yourself!!! and ofcourse they are right on that but still i belive we should judge that what god judges? please help me bring some light to this,

gods peace to you
christian

2006/7/21 20:18Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: dont judge

"[b]Therefore judge nothing before the time[/b], until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God." - 1 Corinthians 4:5

The Lord judges us! "he that judgeth me is the Lord."

Most people say don't judge me as a excuse to cover their sin and lack of obedience to God. We are called to be totally surrendered to Jesus Christ. If we are desiring to honor God with all we are, we will not be able to hid it even to other Christians, being a light on a hill seen by all men. What a surprising day the Judgement Seat of Christ will be.

2006/7/21 20:36Profile
PassingThru

Quote:
....if i say that murder is wrong no one says anything becuse most of us agree.

but then comes this thing on pointing out false teachings and false prophets, paul warned people, he even named names and said stay away!
then shouldent we do so?

I agree with you in pointing out the inconsistency between pointing the finger at murder and other "gross" sins, while saying "thou shall not judge" when some one spews forward heresies from the pulpit.

Galations 5:19-21 Lists heresies as a work of the flesh together with murder amongst others.

In my opinion deliberately teaching heresies is far worse to murder. If you murder a christian, you send him to heaven - if you successfully indoctrinate him with heresies you send him to hell!

I've seen the topic of judging others debated various times within other threads, but I've never seen it brought to a biblical bottomline.

There are scriptures that could be singled out to strongly support the for or against case in this question, however I think the key is the motive as you have already mentioned.

Murder and manslaughter are two different crimes by human law based on the motive - the physical act is really the same thing.

If we judge our brother pointing out the stick in his eye, our motive is probably a superiority complex. If we warn a brother about a deadly heresy, our motive is hopefully to save his life.

PassingThru

2006/7/21 21:48Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

As Christians, we certainly do not have the authority to "judge" anyone. There is just no way that we could have enough information in the here and now to be able to make a righteous judgment. However we are to have sufficient knowledge of scripture, and be in fellowship with Holy Spirit, to be able to "discern" if someone is teaching/preaching the gospel. The following scriptures shed some insight into this subject.

Joh 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

1Th 5:12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

Rom 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Blessings Greg

2006/7/21 22:49Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

I heard a good sermon about this from David Clemens. (he's probably not known here)
When we look at Matthew 7:1 it says: "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

In verse 6 Jesus says:
"6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

Obviously you need to make some judgement which David called a 'value judgement'. How else can you see who might be a swine?
Thats also the case when Jesus warned for wolves in sheepclothes.

I don't have the time to type out my notes on this sermon, but the kind of 'judging' Jesus ment was (constantly) criticizing. We are not to do that.

James 4:11
"Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge."

The Greek of 'Do not speak against eachother' means 'Stop continually talking about people'
James 5:9 Stop continually complaining.

2006/7/22 3:13Profile
Logic

Here is a good site on [url=http://op.50megs.com/ditc/judgenot.html]Judging[/url] very informative.

2006/7/22 13:09Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

yes and the summary from what i see seems quite along whit the word as i understnad it

SUMMARY
Judge not? What does the Bible say?

1. We never judge from our opinions.

2. We are commanded to anakrino -- we always seek to discern: "Is this of God, or is it of the flesh, or of the devil?"

3. We are commanded to diakrino -- to render a decision as to whether something is morally right or wrong.

4. We do not krisis -- the Lord alone decides who goes to heaven and who goes to hell.

5. We are sometimes appointed to krites -- but we are to remember that the Lord is the Judge of all, and we are to judge righteously.

6. We never, ever, hupo-krites -- before we take a speck out of our brother's eye, we make sure we do not have the same speck in our own eye.

7. We always kritikos -- we draw on the Word of God to discern between the things of the soul and the things of the spirit.

2006/7/22 15:00Profile
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

Quote:
Logic wrote: Here is a good site on Judging very informative

. This is as good of an exposition on judging as I have ever seen. Every Christian should be taught these principles so that he or she will not be guilty of practicing the kind of judgment that the Bible forbids and so that he or she will not be guilty of not practicing the judgment that the Bible commands.

Thanks for the link
Grace and peace
Olan

2006/7/22 20:38Profile
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

OK, how do you differentiate between spiritual discernment and judging?

Heres more food for thought ...
[color=660000][url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/JUDGING/1developing.htm]Judging[/url]
By Diane Eaton Oct, 2002

One day a friend drew me into a conversation about judging. We were both somewhat confused about the meaning and implications of judging. Is judging always a bad thing to do? Can it ever be good? My friend got me thinking; and so I launched myself into some Biblical investigation.

The Bible seems to contradict itself about judging. It says,
"Judge carefully",
"Do not judge",
"Judge between your servants",
"Stop passing judgment on one another",
"Judge for yourself",
"make a right judgment"…

When I examined the Scriptural use of words related to judging, I was surprised with my discoveries. Contrary to my assumptions, judging can be a very beneficial thing to do. Judging spares people from making bad choices. It even spares them from eternal condemnation.

People often use the term in a negative sense. However, in reality, more Scriptures speak of the value of judging, then of its harm.

In this document, I aim to differentiate between good judging and bad judging based on Biblical investigations. I also include a few comments and practical applications. First, here are a few dictionary definitions:

Definitions

To judge -to form an authoritative opinion
-to form an estimate or evaluation about something
- sometimes denotes to condemn

Judgment: - a decision or opinion given after judging
-sentence pronounced
-the process of forming an opinion by discerning and comparing
-misfortune regarded as a sign of divine displeasure
-the final judging of mankind by God

Also refers to:
- the mental ability to perceive and distinguish relationships
- discernment
-the capacity to assess situations or circumstances and draw sound conclusions
- good sense

definitions from Strong's Concordance of the Bible:
primarily denotes to separate, sift, select, discern,
to make manifest, reprove,
reason, perception, sense, intelligence,
justice, vengeance

From these definitions, we can see that our English language uses one word to define a broad spectrum of ideas and functions. No wonder there is so much hazy confusion surrounding the use of the words related to 'judging'. Judging can be either good or bad. Good judging is beneficial - even necessary. However having the ability to make good judgments doesn't come naturally. We must develop it.

Developing Good Judgment

"Teach me knowledge and GOOD judgment." Ps. 119:66
"The spiritual man makes judgments about all things."1Co.2:15

We are required to make judgments all the time. Therefore we must learn how to distinguish:
- right from wrong,
- good from bad,
- truth from deception,
- genuine from counterfeit, and
- the mediocre from the excellent.

Good judgments comes from - Spirit discernment,
- Godly wisdom,
- a humble spirit,
- and a love for God.

Our judgments shape our decisions,
and determine the path of our lives.
Therefore it is important to develop good judgment.

Here is how we develop good judgment:

1. Seek wisdom
We need wisdom in order to be good judges. However, we can't assume that we are wise just because we know a lot (we think), or because we are good Christians (we think). Whether we want to admit it or not, "[our] thoughts are not [God's] thoughts." Is. 55:19 We need to have a perspective from outside of our own biases in order to discern properly,

"…so that you may be able to discern what is best." Phil. 1:9
"then you will be able to understand
what is right and just and fair." Prov. 2:9

God can help us if we ask.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God
who gives generously to all without finding fault." James 1:5

We know that our wisdom has come from above whenever our judgments are full of love and mercy. Here is God's criteria for good judgment:

"The wisdom that comes from heaven is
first of all pure,
then peace-loving,
considerate,
submissive
and full of MERCY
and good fruit,
IMPARTIAL,
and sincere." James 3:17

2. Judge ourselves
Before we can make accurate judgments that involve others, we must learn to be good judges of ourselves. God knows us better than anyone, so we can trust him to show us. He gives us a humble view of ourselves. God's Spirit can "convict the world (me) in regard to sin...." John 16:8

The Bible is an accurate standard by which we can judge ourselves. It judges (distinguishes) between God's holiness and our unholiness:

"For the word of God is living and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit,
joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Heb. 4:12

Wow! That is accurate judging! Penetrating! Cutting to the core! Scripture leaves no room for hypocrisy. The Spirit and the Word help us see that we fall short of God's holy standard. That keeps us humble.

When we are accurate judges of ourselves, we will be accurate judges of others too. To the extent that we recognize our own need for God's mercy, we will judge others with mercy.

Jesus could tell that the Jewish leaders were blind to their own faults. So he let them judge themselves by using the very Scriptures that they zealously defended. He said, "Your accuser is Moses [ie the Books of the Law]." John 5:45

Just because we may zealously proclaim our belief in the Bible, that doesn't mean that we can see how that very same Bible also judges us for our pride and our lack of faith.

Scripture warns us, "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought but rather with sober judgment. " Rom 12:3 "First take the plank out of your own eye; and then you can see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matt. 7:5 In other words, if we don't judge ourselves accurately, then we will not judge others accurately, nor will we be able to "correctly handle the word of truth" 2 Tim. 2:15.

A sharp knife is a useful tool, but it becomes a dangerous weapon in the hands of a blind person. So also the Bible becomes a dangerous weapon in the hands of a person who can't see what it says about their own faults. So it ends up being used like a hammer on someone's head, rather then as an accurate sharp knife.

There is another reason why we all must learn to judge ourselves - to avert divine judgment later on. We will each be held accountable for the way we live our lives.

"Those who teach will be judged more strictly." James 3:1 Bible teachers spend a lot of time studying in order to create messages for other people, but they must also see how the Scriptures apply to themselves.

"…if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind...
an instructor…a teacher…
because you have in the law the embodiment
of knowledge and truth…
you then who teach others, DO YOU TEACH YOURSELF?...
You who brag about the Law, do you dishonor it by breaking it?"
Rom. 2:19,20,23

Those who teach the Bible have the potential to damage people through the improper use of Scripture if they cannot let it judge themselves.

3. Allow others to judge us

"A wise man LISTENS TO ADVICE." Prov. 12:15
"A rebuke impresses a man of discernment..." Prov. 1:10
"Rebuke a wise man and he will be wiser." Prov 9:8

Sometimes others constructively judge us simply by being good examples. Their lives are a standard by which we can judge ourselves. Have you ever been drawn to a good quality in another person and thought, I sure don't measure up to that? That person, by his or her life, has constructively judged you. You become aware of your shortcomings. Didn't you find that humbling?

When believers properly proclaim God's truths, others have a standard by which to judge themselves. That is one important function of Christian fellowship: "If an unbeliever, or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner, and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare." 1 Cor. 14: 24 Authentic words of prophesy draw others towards Christ because the words help the listeners judge their own hearts. This is far better than finger-pointing.

5. Seeing through God's eyes
Prior to his conversion, Paul zealously tried to be a good judge for God by sifting out everyone who opposed God. But he had bad spiritual sight and misjudged many people. He had godly people imprisoned and put to death. After his encounter with God, he continued to judge, but with a new perspective. He saw through the eyes of God's mercy and learned how to "make a RIGHT judgment." John 7:24 At one time vengeance was his primary goal; but after his salvation, mercy became his primary goal.

Good judgment flowed from the heart of Christ. He said: "My judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me." Jn 5:30 Jesus is our best example. We too will learn to be good judges if we seek to please God and walk closely with him.
[/color]

More at the website linked [url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/JUDGING/1developing.htm]HERE[/url]

2006/7/24 10:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy