Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

letsgetbusy wrote:
Once I get words I can say, like the first line of the verse, which is usually the first third, or so, I say it 10 times out loud. Once it starts to feel boring, I realize I have memorized the first line, then I add the second third. I continue this process with the second third, 10 times with these words. Then all words, 10 times in a row, looking back at the words if I must, but ten times without looking.

I use a similar meathod to this. I set a goal to memorise a passage, with a view to meditate on it (usually for at least a month straight). When I begin to "learn" the passage, I simply repeat the words, out loud, making special effort to remember the first word of each section. Then I repeat the first verse (or if I'm having trouble break it into parts) until it starts getting boring, and then I move onto the next verse, just before I'm confident with the first. I find that in doing this, it forces my mind to press forward, and I can usually remember the last one, while struggling with the next. Sometimes you come up against a difficult verse like "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it beloweth. So is everyone that is born of the Spirit." (pant-pant) These kind of verses make you feel like pulling your hair out, but then all of a sudden, they're "locked in".

Once I've stored up about 5 or so verses, I attempt to write them down from memory. This way, I can compare what I wrote with what is "written", and correct my mistakes, before they "set as concrete". I then "start again" with the next passage, and after the next 5 or so verses, I try reciting the whole thing (it is a buzz to hear yourself quote a big passage of scripture, and this can be a huge incentive to continue).

Until I have memorised the passage in totality (usually I can do about 3-5 verses on the first day, and then 1 a day after), I don't spend any time trying to interperate the passsage. However, once I've commited it to memory, I use every available moment reciting the passage (sometime's I even "preach it" while driving, or home alone). While I'm doing this I find that the Holy Spirit "unpacks" its meaning, while I consider every statement in context with others (this is particularly great when memorising a Psalm. You really feel like you become "intimate friends" with the author).

For me, this is the key to retention, and is a pivotal part of my Bible study. It's like I'm allowing the "undiluted Word of God" to correct me in my doctrine. Instead of proclaiming "doctrinal standpoints" I let the Word of God be my only standpoint (beats choosing between Calvin and Arminus).

The only other advice that I could give is [b]use the KJV!!!![/b] Not because of its accuracy (though it is accurate), not because of its superiority (though it is superior) but because of its poetry. I had a friend that up until recently read the Message "Bible", for daily devotions. Someone gave him an audio version of the KJV and he "fell in love". He made an interesting observation, "Whan I used to read the Message, I couldn't find the verse I was looking for in another translation, but now that I read the KJV, I can find it in the Message and every other version." Found the same thing when I used to read the NIV. I won't expand anymore on this (After all, that's why we have "Krispy-and-Co";-)).

Memorising scripture is alot easier than you might think. Think about it, you can memorise songs and lines out of movies. And scriptue should be easier than songs, because you don't have to remember a melody and chrodal structure. If you want incentive, well I just consider that the day may soon come that the "Bible in your head" is the only Bible that you can get your hands on. Even if a future persecutor were to gouge out my eyes, and deafen my ears, they would not be able to rob me of the precious Word of God.

2006/7/31 7:19Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

Abe_Juliot wrote:
I highly recommend reading Jack Van Impe's methods on scripture memorization.
Dr. Van Impe can quote 14,000 Bible verses, including virtually the entire New Testament.

While that sounds impressive, we should be wary of Van Impe's method. His [url=http://www.jvim.com/scripturememorization.htm]system of memorisation[/url] meathod uses flash cards that "categorises" each verse that is is written on each card. This is a recipe for taking scripture out of context, because it uses the "concepts of man" [b]to define[/b] the "meaning of Scripture", when it should be the "concepts of man" that are [b]defined by[/b] the "meaning of Scripture" (2 Tim 3:16).

2006/7/31 7:40Profile

Re:

Another reason to consider using KJV for memorising would be this. I had memerosied jude as well as chapt 5 of Matthew in the NewKJV. However a few years later I realized that new KJV editions change words so from edition to edtion you have a change in words. That troubled me and so I decided to memorize from KJV because I knew it would not change. I am not KJV only But I am KJV preffered! God bless

2006/7/31 12:12

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy