SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Smith Wigglesworth praying in a restaurant

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
WorldView

Davao, Philippines

Re:

Quote:

Tears_of_joy wrote:
I would like here to raise a [color=FF3300]red flag[/color] about this book and the author. I had it in my hands months ago. I am just wondering how it is possible men like Evan Roberts and Wigglesworth to be put in one place with such false prophets like William Branham and I have big question mark about the others in the book, I read some of their testemonies and most of what I read was about healing and healing, the pictures were literally like in theatre or show. Some of them had very questionable things like some of them got suicide, some of them divorced and remarried to other woman, doubtful bussineses etc. We must be careful.

Wow, how quickly we judge of what we do not know and of who we do not know. First of all the people are in the book because they did great things for the kingdom of God and even the ones who screwed up at the end of their life were added into the book because Liardon was showing us the pitfalls of the ministry. That is why the subtite is "Why they succeeded and why some failed."

As for the author of God's Generals, he is perfectly fine. And he has already been restored. I know him personally and just spoke with his mom two days ago. His past does not disqualify his books, sermons or his present day ministry.

Oh and by the way, Evan Roberts had his problems too, why not question why he was put is the same book with Wigglesworth?

2006/7/22 0:33Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Evan Roberts had his problems too, why not question why he was put is the same book with Wigglesworth?

[i]Everybody[/i] had problems at one point or another. Look at Elijah, look at David. Haven't you had (I speak to everyone reading this in general) problems during your walk? But it's different because we're not center stage with all of Christianity putting us beneath the microscope. Did you know that Wigglesworth went through a time early on in his career where he was backslidden? Where he would have angry outbursts and chide his wife Polly for staying out too late at meetings? I can relate. I've had shameful occasions where I've let my flesh embarass me before man and God. But you don't know about it because I'm not a celebrity like Liardon or Wigglesworth. If a man or woman of God falls into sin, our immediate reaction should be to mourn their intanglement and pray for their restoration. I rejoice that Liardon is restored! What happened to Liardon can happen to anyone of us, as the devil seeks his prey like a roaring lion.

Quote: "Put on my tombstone - Lester Sumrall starved to death while trusting Jesus."

Brother, that's a conqueror's attitude! Reminds me of Queen Esther: "If I die, I die." Or Job: "Even if He slays me, I will trust him." There's a powerful hymn on this theme written by Edmund Jones. I'll go look it up and post it on here.

Brother Paul

2006/7/22 9:28Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
"Smith gave all he had, even in relation to grammar, to his Lord. He once wrote a letter to a university graduate. The next time this person saw Smith, he said, "You know, you spelled the title of the Holy Spirit seven different ways in your letter."

Brother, did you know:

There was once a conference where Bible students from California were given an opportunity to grill Wigglesworth with tough theological questions.

Mind you, Wigglesworth had zero school training, didn't even learn how to read till he was in his mid-twenties, and the only book he ever read was the Bible. Yet the Holy Spirit gave him such wisdom that everyone there was astounded. They recorded the all questions and Wigglesworth's answers here:

http://www.amazon.com/...

2006/7/22 10:13Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I know I will get beat up for this but I been beat up before and it's always better if a brother does it, anyway All these theologians Wigglesworth, Ravenhill, Tozer, Poonen, were good folks but still they were just human like you and I and were all equal in Gods book and each and everyone of us if were in Gods will are doing what were called to do rather it be ministering or fishing, Personally we do pray before any meals or anywhere but to beat on a glass or make a scene before prayer, if I were not a Christian I would think this guy was a nut case and may even think he was even being a Christian I would have to have personally experience it first to see my reaction, he doe not represent all Christians hopefully. You can still Love the Lord and be a good Christian and Pray over a meal without a disturbance. "Sometimes" not all the time I think we have a tendency to put some of these theologians and their ways on pedestals and we really have to be careful, the only person I will ever again put on a pedestal again is Jesus Christ "because I use to put a lot of theologians on pedestals" . I have finally come to the conclusion after a long time of "pedestal placing" that the two year old child next door is just as important as Billy Graham to Jesus Christ and it has given me a whole different prospective of humans period, it has help me to Love equally and place all folks on the same level in life, you have to really understand were I am coming from to understand my statement here, I had a really bad habit of putting theologians on pedestals a few years ago until God showed me that it was wrong to do so and were "all" equal in his eyes and he should be the only one I worship period.

2006/7/22 11:46Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

brethren
bro Bill brings up a good point

Quote:
All these theologians Wigglesworth, Ravenhill, Tozer, Poonen, were good folks but still they were just human like you and I and were all equal in Gods book

there was/is nothing special about them but this is an expression in real life of God's word when it says "not by power or might but by My Spirit" Whatever these men achieved for God on this side was birthed from the very throne of God according to His own grace and mercy not coz they somehow earned it. We ought to keep that in mind.

bro Bill also wrote this:

Quote:
Personally we do pray before any meals or anywhere but to beat on a glass or make a scene before prayer, if I were not a Christian I would think this guy was a nut case and may even think he was even being a Christian I would have to have personally experience it first to see my reaction, he doe not represent all Christians hopefully. You can still Love the Lord and be a good Christian and Pray over a meal without a disturbance.

Most people thought Christ to be a nutcase so it seems to me being a viewed as a nutcase by the unsaved is part of being a Christian. how can the unsaved see us in any other light [i]but[/i] that since we are (or ought to be very different) from them? Christ didn't coax anyone into the Faith, if you didn't want in, then you didn't want in and He left you alone. if you hung around a while and decided to leave, he didn't plead with you to stay either.

indeed one can still love our Lord and not cause a scene before eating, but if our Lord leads you to cause a scene and you don't then you're in rebellion. none of those people will stand up for you when God asks you to give an account of that event so why entertain their egos/feelings at the expense of obedience to God.

brethren this is an example of a false humility which serves to glorify man and not God. This has swept through the Church like a plague and is part of why we're so ineffective. we don't want to go outside of our comfort zones or cause so we pervert true humility which would have us obedient to God not matter the consequences, to a sinister false humility which would have us keep the boat steady when God would have us tip it over and sink it. granted it will not be always when we have to do this, there are times when we will have to be silent.

i know our Lord grieves over the world and the unsaved, but how much more does He grieve over those which are His children when they would rather please the world that Him?

Lord help us!AMEN.

2006/7/22 12:29Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

As I said it was really something personal I had to deal with, folks can do as they feel lead for the record but it was really easy for me to be carried away with these high profile brothers and sisters I don't hate them or anything like that just was really offering another prospective from a personal experience, sorry I may not have worded my statement right I am still work in progress if you want to jump out of an airplane and pray all the way down to the table at the restaurant hey go for it if that is what you feel lead to do.

2006/7/22 12:42Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Hi Brother Bill,

I don't think anyone's putting anybody on a pedestal here; we're just sharing old-time testimonies. I agree with you that Wigglesworth was human...and imperfect. I hope you don't think that we are worshiping him! I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about how God moved through specific men and women in the past. We talk about how God moved through Elijah. Why can't we talk about Wigglesworth or Wesley?

As for Wigglesworth hitting a water glass in the restaurant to get the people's attention, who's to say God didn't tell him to do that? Perhaps God knew someone would respond to that prayer and get saved. But to do this, he had to "rock the boat" and ruin everyone's lunch. But what a price to pay for saving a few souls from hell!

You said that if you were not a Christian, you would think Wigglesworth was a nut case. Well, he was! People think I'm a "nut case" when I street preach, including Christians. But I do what God tells me to do. It doesn't matter what others think. God told Ezekiel to preach and that his message would be utterly rejected. Should Ezekiel still preach it? You say you would be offended at Wigglesworth making a scene in a secular restaurant - but what if you saw a prophet of God walking naked down the street to represent the shame of America before the Lord? This is exactly what God told the prophet to do in Isaiah 20. In light of this, beating on a water glass in public seems pretty trivial!

God bless you! (See, no one got beat up!)

In Christian love, Paul

2006/7/22 12:48Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: go up thou bald head

Hi everyone.

Brother Bill, I can appreciate what you said about the danger of elevating men. Good point for us to remember.

I have appreciated these stories here and such encourage me. As I have read through them my mind has been drawn to the prophets like Elijah and Elisha. I can even imagine that they would have seemed like rather strange people, along with some of their commands to others and their own peculiar behaviors, like

Quote:
Go and wash in Jordan seven times

Quote:
And he stretched himself upon the child three times

Quote:
Bring me a new cruse, and put salt therein... And he went forth unto the spring of the waters, and cast the salt in there

Quote:
And he cut down a stick, and cast it in thither; and the iron did swim.

Or what about Isaiah? Is this portion of scripture not a bit outrageous to our minds where
the prophet was instructed to

Quote:
Go and loose the sackcloth from off thy loins, and put off thy shoe from thy foot

Quote:
And he did so, walking naked and barefoot.

and is this right..that he did this for three years...

Quote:
for a sign and wonder upon Egypt and upon Ethiopia;

whoa!

And then there is the danger, that I think brother Bill alluded to also, of us trying to copy or immitate these men or thier specific actions. I think perhaps one reason why God does not seem to respond to every attempt at copying the efforts of the past generations is that He is looking for men to follow Him closely in the present? Who would have ever had thought of something like the Salvation Army, for instance?

And then too, there is how we respond to these extra-ordinary servants of God.

Remember how the young persons mocked Elisha, saying

Quote:
Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

perhaps making refrence to Elijah.

But look at what a fearfull response came!

"And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

Am remided of the words of our Lord to the people of his day(from the Simple English version)

Quote:
The Father loves the Son. The Father shows him everything He is doing. The Father will show him even greater deeds than these, [b]so that you will be amazed.[/b]

Love in Christ,

Chris

2006/7/22 15:10Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Sorry, Should have just stayed off this thread this is really something personal did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings or hijack the thread because of a former personal issue I had, guess it was just so easy for me to put high profile brothers and sisters maybe not exactly on pedestals so to say, but because I personally got so wrapped up in them it took my mind and heart off the "lower profile" not lesser Loved or needed so to say theologians you know the ones out there that are also doing the Lords work and no one never seems to ever recognize, and I have such a heart for theses folks, and the way I was, it was taking were my heart really was away from focusing on them, by always focusing on the high profile brothers and sisters. I will shut up not maybe you would have to had been in my shoes to understand exactly were I am coming from, hopefully someone will understand.
Love Yaw
Brother Bill

2006/7/22 15:24Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
it was just so easy for me to put high profile brothers and sisters maybe not exactly on pedestals so to say, but because I personally got so wrapped up in them it took my mind and heart off the "lower profile"

Brother Bill, you are perfectly justified!

I know a guy who fell victim to just what you're talking about. All he ever talked about was "Brother-so-and-so this" and "Brother-so-and-so that." He would seldom read his Bible - and when he did, it was always the Book of Acts. That's all he read! The Pentecostal stuff, the Holy Ghost and tongue-talking stuff. Everytime I saw him, he had a new compilation downloaded from "Fire on the Altar" and told me how anointed the preacher was, the miracles, etc. Pretty soon, he hooked up an international healer/evangelist from England and started following him around with a video camera. Last I heard, this guy has completely left the faith. He's back dancing and drinking in the clubs with his old friends.

Your concern is totally legit, and I commend you for it! Please don't feel as though you've hijacked this thread. You are very welcome to stay and share your experiences and concerns! I started this thread just to have fun, to share some outrageously fearless Wigglesworth testimonies. I never intended for it to get really serious.

Your brother in Christ,

Paul

2006/7/22 15:54Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy