SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Smith Wigglesworth praying in a restaurant

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
MR_CPK

Indiana

Re:

In my studies of Wigglesworth's ministry I found the numbers go up to 27. 19 were documented well because they were post enbalming (which was done with arsenic...they were dead, as were many of the morticians who touched the fluid) another 5 have good evidence that stands up to scutiny. The other 3 were a bit random.
-Are you sure that bed shaking story was Wigglesorth and not Lester Sumrall? That sounds exactly like a story I read in his Biography of when he was a missionary in Africa.

2006/7/21 0:38Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Are you sure that bed shaking story was Wigglesorth and not Lester Sumrall? That sounds exactly like a story I read in his Biography of when he was a missionary in Africa.

You may be right. I've always thought it was Wigglesworth, but now that you mention it...

I heard the story a few years ago from another evangelist, he told me it was Wigglesworth. But I also remember someone saying it was Sumrall. I don't know. Can you give me the source? I've got a hunch you're right, brother.

In anycase, it's a great story.

2006/7/21 0:59Profile
WorldView

Davao, Philippines

Re:

One VERY good book that I would like to reccomend is "God's Generals" by Roberts Liardon. It tells the life stories of 12 mighty men and women of God.

John Alexander Dowie
Maria Woodworth Etter
Evan Roberts
Charles Parham
William J. Seymour
John G. Lake
Amiee Semple McPherson
Smith Wigglesworth
William Branham
Jack Coe
A.A. Allen
Kathryn Kuhlman

Here is an excerpt from God's Generals on Wigglesworth
--------------------------------------------
As his faith began to increase, the Lord showed him another principle of faith: Faith should be acted upon.

Until then the average believer seemed to think that God moved only in a soverign way. They felt they had no part in it. The ministry in Smith Wigglesworth brought a new light to this dark area. Through his deep relationship with the Lord, Smith began to notice in the Bible that the people who received from God had acted upon His Word to produce results. Thus, his ministry began to adopt this operation of faith in every service. At the beginning of his altercalls he would say, "If you move forward only a foot, you will be blessed; if you move forward a yard, you will get more. If you come to the platform, we will pray for you, and God will meet your needs with His supply."
This was the central truth behind his ministry regarding faith. A truth that many called "ruthless." Smith Wigglesworth's actions were a result of strong compassion and a rock-solid faith in God. A Christian must act upon what he believes in order to receive the manifestation, and sometimes, Smith had to initiate the action for a few individuals. He called this type of ministry "retail healing," mainly because his faith contributed largely to their individual action.

For example, during a meeting in Arizona, a young lady responded to his call for healing. She was greatly distressed with tuberculosis, but as she stepped into the aisle, he said to her, "Now I am going to pray for you and then you will run around this building." He prayed, then shouted, "Run woman. Run!" The woman said, "But I cannot run. I can scarcely stand." "Don't talk back to me," Smith shouted, "do as I have said." She was reluctant, So Smith jumped down from the platform, grabbed her, and began running. She clang to him until she gathered speed, then galloped around the auditorium without any effort.

There was another woman in the same meeting. Her legs were locked with sciatica. Smith told her to "Run!" She was so ruluctant that he pushed her! Then he ran around the building with the woman clinging to him. Finally, the power of God met her action, as she was completely delivered. She walked to the rest of the meetings, refusing the street car, delighted to have the full use of her limbs again.
---------------------------------------------
another story on Wigglesworth form "God's Generals"
----------------------------------------
The holy Spirit began teaching Smith the varying degrees of faith, He first taught that faith could be created in others.

An example of this concept was a young boy who was seriously ill. The family had sent for Smith, but when Smith arrived, the mother met him at the door, saying, "You are too late. there is nothing that can be done for him." Smith replied, "God has never sent me anywhere too late." The boy's condition was so bad, that if he were to be moved, his heart would stop and he would die. Needless to say, the family had no faith and the boy was too sick to believe for himself. Before he couold pray for the boy, Smith had to leave for an engagement at a local chapel. But before he left their home, he told the family he would return. He instructed them to lay out the boy's clothes because the Lord was going to raise him up. When Smith returned, the family had not done what he asked, and when they saw his faith, they were embarrassed and immediately set out the boy's clothes. Smith asked them to put only socks on his feet. Then inside the boy's room, Smith closed the door and told the lifeless boy that something would happen different from anything he had experienced before. "When I place my hands on you the glory of the Lord will fill this place till I shall not be able to stand. I shall be helpless on the floor." The moment Smith touched the boy, the power of God filled the room and was so strong that Smith fell to the floor. Suddenly, the boy began to yell, "This is for Your Glory, Lord!" Smith was still on the floor when the boy arose and dressed himself. Opening the door, the boy yelled, "Dad! God has healed me! I am healed!"

Such glory filled the house that the mother and father fell to the floor also. His siter, who had been released from an asylum, was instantly restored in her mind. The entire village was moved and revival began throughout their city.
--------------------------------------------
Another story about Wigglesworth's wife
-------------------------------------------
While waiting in the train station to leave for Scottland, Smith received devastating news. Polly had collapsed with a heart attack while returning from the Bowland Street Mission.

Rushing to her bedside, he found that her spirit had already departed to be with the Lord. Not settling for this, Smith immediately rebuked the death and her spirit came back, but only for a short while. Then the Lord spoke: "This is the time that I want to take her home to myself." So with a breaking heart, Smith released his partner, the one he had loved for so many years, to be with the Lord.
----------------------------------------------

Those are just a few stories form the book. Pardon any misspelled words since I had to type it in myself.

Another story I have heard was that one time a man was brought to one of Smith's prayer lines who had cancer in his stomach. The man was accoompanied by his doctor. When Smith got to the man, the doctor told him the condition and Smith drew his arm back and punched the sick man in the stonach. The guy immediately doubled over and fell to the floor. The doctor was schocked and shouted, "You killed him!" Smith replied, "E's ealed (meaning he's healed)" Smith continued to pray for people paying no attention to the guy he had just punched. About ten minutes later, the man rose form the dead and got up healed, dancing and shouting. When the man ran up to Smith to tell him that he was healed, barelying giving him any attention Smith replied saying I know, now go thank God for it, and contuned to pray for people.

Keith

2006/7/21 2:31Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Hi brothers and sisters, just continue with these amazing testmonies, I don't want to make diversion from the original topic, but just to make one note:

Quote:
One VERY good book that I would like to reccomend is "God's Generals" by Roberts Liardon. It tells the life stories of 12 mighty men and women of God.

I would like here to raise a [color=FF3300]red flag[/color] about this book and the author. I had it in my hands months ago. I am just wondering how it is possible men like Evan Roberts and Wigglesworth to be put in one place with such false prophets like William Branham and I have big question mark about the others in the book, I read some of their testemonies and most of what I read was about healing and healing, the pictures were literally like in theatre or show. Some of them had very questionable things like some of them got suicide, some of them divorced and remarried to other woman, doubtful bussineses etc. We must be careful.

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
-1 John 4:1

Kire

2006/7/21 8:51Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Some of them had very questionable things like some of them got suicide, some of them divorced and remarried to other woman, doubtful bussineses etc. We must be careful.

Yes, this is true. A.A. Allen probably being the most infamous. I can't vouch for "God's Generals" as I've never read the book. I normally don't put too much emphasis on the men and women who had huge healing ministries and tent revivals. Not that I'm against them. It's just that it's so easy to take your eyes off Jesus and put it on the flash and pizazz. Jesus said we'd know the true ones by their fruit and not their gifts. The gifts, after all, are without repentance. But you can't have the fruit unless your heart's right.

You mentioned the author, Roberts Liardon. I don't know too much about him. I understand he fell into disgrace a few years back. But that's none of my business. If he was true brother, he needs to be restored in a spirt of meekness.

Wigglesworth is very unique in that he never humiliated God by begging for money or doing the show-thing. In fact, when he discerned that people were finally beginning to focus on "Smith Wigglesworth" and not God, his heart broke and he never recovered. He quit ministering, and died shortly after. He was always fearless, yet humble. An awesome combo!

2006/7/21 9:59Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

I have heard that Wigglesworth had no formal education and in his twenties he just learned to read (maybe someone should comfirm this).
I love this story connected with that:

"Smith gave all he had, even in relation to grammar, to his Lord. He once wrote a letter to a university graduate. The next time this person saw Smith, he said, "You know, you spelled the title of the Holy Spirit seven different ways in your letter."

Wigglesworth replied, "Did you understand it?"

"Oh, yes."

Then Wigglesworth said, "Thank God, that's all that matters."

-Smith Wigglesworth, The Secret of His Power
By; Albert Hibbert
pg. 29

These days while reading Acts I was encouraged by the following verses:

13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were [u]unlearned[/u] and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that [u]they had been with Jesus.[/u]
14 And beholding the man [u]which was healed[/u] standing with them, [u]they could say nothing against it[/u].

They had been with Jesus.

2006/7/21 11:46Profile
MR_CPK

Indiana

Re:

Quote-"Can you give me the source? "

I'm 99% sure it's in "The life story of Lester Sumrall" If's it's not it would have to be in "Demons the answer book", "Supernatural principatlities and powers","Exorcism the reality of evil and your power over it" or "Spirit, Soul, and Body" seeing as these are the only Lester Sumrall books I own. I'll know for sure by the end of the day. I'm going to read his biography today, I haven't read it in a while. It's great. Sumralls ministry started with him dying of tuberculosis and God gave him a vision a a casket on one side of his bed and a large open Bible on the other. The Lord told him he could accept Christ preach his Word all the days of his life and live or he could reject Him and die. He chose to live and IMMEDIETELY the next day with no money left his home (at 17) to preach the word. I like that kind of obedience.

2006/7/21 11:49Profile
MR_CPK

Indiana

Re:

Quote-"I have heard that Wigglesworth had no formal education and in his twenties he just learned to read (maybe someone should comfirm this).

This is true. At the age of 7 he went to work at the local mill to help support his family. They didn't have any laws against child labor or laws to make kids get an education so he didn't get one. He worked twelve hour days ussually. He got saved after a year of this hard work at a methodist church and after that never went anywhere without his Bible or at least his New Testement (even though he couln't read it). He joined up with the Salvation Army when he was about twenty where he met his wife Polly, whom he married at 23? (23ish) She's the one who taught him to read. She also did all of the preaching at the Bowland St. Mission they ran until Smith recieved the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit" at the age of 47. He worked as a full time plumber until the age of 53.

2006/7/21 11:56Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I'm 99% sure it's in "The life story of Lester Sumrall"

Thank you. I went back and edited the old post, putting Lester Sumrall in brackets.

Yes, I am very fond of Sumrall's ministry. He was an honorable minister, a great teacher. I've got two books by him. I've never read his biography, though. I need to get my hands on it, now that you mention it. Was he involved with AG missions? He reminds me of Victor Plymire with all his thrilling adventures overseas with demons and mystics. I love reading this stuff; you don't see anything like that here in the States. But in some of these paganistic cultures, God moved mightily with great signs and wonders. Sumrall, Plymire and Wigglesworth were men of colossal faith.

Paul

2006/7/21 12:12Profile
MR_CPK

Indiana

Re:

Quote-"Was he (Sumrall)involved with AG missions?

If memory serves me right he was never involved with any denomination. I know on his first mission trip which was to China he went by himself and the only money he had was for the boat trip over there. A fellow minister said he would starve to death if he went to China with no money. Sumrall said "if I do I want you to get me a tombstone that says 'here lies Lester Sumrall who starved to death trusting Jesus'."

2006/7/21 12:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy