Discussion Forum : General Topics : Smith Wigglesworth praying in a restaurant

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Smith Wigglesworth praying in a restaurant

Brothers and Sisters,

I want to share a story about Smith Wigglesworth. It was told by a pastor who went with Wigglesworth to a restaurant in Sidney, Australia. I think you'll like this story; it shows just how fearless this great man of God was. The story is told by Dr. Lester Sumrall (who knew Wigglesworth personally) in a book called "Pioneers of Faith." Here it is:

"The [Australian] pastor told me, 'Smith Wigglesworth was here in my city recently, and I took him to one of the fanciest restaurants to have lunch on Sunday. When we came into the restaurant, someone took his coat and hung it up for him. He looked around like an eagle. Only wealthy people ate in this restaurant. Instead of sitting down, he took a fork and began to hit the side of his glass with it. BING! BING! BING! BING! Everybody stopped eating.

When he had everybody's attention, he raised his hand and said, 'Ladies and gentlemen, I have noticed since arriving here that none of you prayed over your food. You resemble a bunch of hogs to me. You just jump in and eat without giving thanks to the One Who provided it for you. Bow your heads and I'll pray for you.'

'Wigglesworth raised his hands and prayed for those people. Before we left the restaurant, two familes came over and got saved."

2006/7/20 20:30Profile
lostseed

Re: Smith Wigglesworth praying in a restaurant

Awesome, I love hearing about Wigglesworth! That guys boldness is so interesting to me. :)

2006/7/20 20:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Yes, Wigglesworth accounts are thrilling. The guy simply had no fear! The only One he feared was God. He was a mighty General in God's army; and like Paul, the demons knew who he was. Oh, Hallelujah! We should all aspire to be feared in hell.

I've got many more stories about Wigglesworth. Someone should make a thread dedicated to Wigglesworth accounts. They can truly bolster your faith!

Bro. Paul

2006/7/20 21:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I've got many more stories about Wigglesworth. Someone should make a thread dedicated to Wigglesworth accounts. They can truly bolster your faith!

No one is keeping you from it, is there?

BTW, I did enjoy this story immensely!

ginnyrose

2006/7/20 22:11Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
No one is keeping you from it, is there?

This is true.

Okay, here's another:

Someone once asked Smith Wigglesworth how he gets up in the morning. This is what he said:

'I jump out of bed! I dance before the Lord for at least ten to twelve minutes - high-speed dancing. I jump up and down and run around my room telling God how great He is, how wonderful He is, how glad I am to be associated with Him and to be His child.'

After this, he would take a cold shower, read the Bible for a hour, pray for an hour, then open his mail to see what God would have him do that day. He was an extremely remarkable man, totally sold out to God.

- Lester Sumrall on Smith Wigglesworth.

2006/7/20 22:32Profile
repentcanada

Re:

thank you brother Paul for this. there are three people here I just read this to now, we are all speechless.

2006/7/20 22:34Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Praise the Lord! Thank you for sharing these brother... any others you don't mind sharing? :-)

2006/7/20 22:48Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Amen, brother!

A few years back, we had an evangelist visit our church who knew a guy who had talked with an old man who had been to a Wigglesworth prayer meeting back in the early 1920's.

He told us that when Smith began praying, men would start crawling on their hands and knees to get out of the room. The Glory of the Lord was so strong that they couldn't walk, they had to get out of the sanctuary - the glory was just too much to handle.

I know what he means. My old church was like that, where the power of God was just so strong that sometimes you just couldn't breathe. Where the Shekinah glory would fill the room like a cloud and it would just keep building and building and building until the musicians couldn't play their instruments and just fell prostrate and all you could hear was weeping and wailing and agony. Where Jehovah God comes and manifests His glory in an awful, majestic way. I remember a few times where I actually feared my for my life, and my wife had to flee the sanctuary before we were crushed by His eternal majesty. I can't imagine being at a meeting where someone like Wigglesworth is calling upon the Ancient of Days! I mean, this guy was so deep and totally sold-out to God that he was raising dead people out of caskets at funerals.

Where did this glory go, oh saints? Jesus said we would do greater things than He did! The God of Smith Wigglesworth is still here. How can our churches sleep with a glorious God like this in our midst!

Bro. Paul

2006/7/20 23:18Profile
MR_CPK

Indiana

Re:

"I mean, this guy was so deep and totally sold-out to God that he was raising dead, embalmed people out of caskets at funerals."

One of my favorite Wigglesworth stories is along this line. Wigglesworth was once preaching in another town (as he often did)and the Pastor he was preaching for had to go give a eulogy at a funeral so Wigglesworth tagged along and as the Pastor was speaking and consoling the family in the foyer a bit before everyone else arrived Wigglesworth casually slipped into the room where the casket was and the family heard a "THUD!"and the sound of something being dragged across the floor then they heard another loud "THUD!" followed by Wigglesworth shouting "In the name of Jesus walk! "THUD!" The Pastor and the family of the deceased opened the door to see the deceased on the floor and Wigglesworth standing over the dead body which he then picked up and slammed against the wall and again commanded the dead man to walk in the name of Jesus. He let go and the corpse fell to the floor again. (But Wigglesworth did not believe in giving up, I'd be freaking out at this point)The family is just completely in shock at this point the Pastor said he was soooo embarrased at what was happening but that didn't stop Wigglesworth he picked the dead body up and slammed it forcefully against the wall and authoritatively commanded it to walk in the name of Jesus. It once again fell to the floor. So once again he picked the corpse up and slammed it against the wall and this time he shouted " I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to walk and I will not say it again!" And to the amazement of every terrified person in attendence watching this amazingly insane spectacle the dead man took a deep breath, coughed and then began walking across the room. When the funeral attendees arrived they obviously coudn't have a funeral so they sang hymns and had a prayer and testimony meeting instead.

2006/7/20 23:55Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Totally astounding. They say there's at least nine documented cases of the dead being raised during his ministry.

I like the story where he [Lester Sumrall] awoke in the night because the house where he was staying at was being haunted by demons. His bed started shaking, the window was rattling. He got out of bed and rebuked the evil manifestations and there was a calm. But he noticed his bed had been moved from its original spot by all the jolting. He commanded the spirit in the name of Jesus: "And put my bed back where it was, you wicked spirit," and the bed slid back across the floor to the wall.

2006/7/21 0:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy