Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : An account of praying with John Hyde

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

An account of praying with John Hyde

"...Chapman was finding little interest in his preaching mission, and many local ministers did not wholeheartedly cooperate. Attendance was very poor. Dr. Chapman was told that an American missionary known as Praying Hyde had come to pray down blessing on his ministry. Almost instantly, Chapman said, the tide turned. The night hall was packed and fifty men surrendered to Jesus Christ when the invitation was given. As they were leaving the building, Chapman turned to John and said, 'Mr. Hyde, I want you to pray for me.' He took John into his room. Chapman gives the account:

'He came into my room, turned the key in the door, dropped on his knees, waited five minutes without a single syllable coming from his lips. I could hear my own heart thumping and his beating. I felt the hot tears running down my face. I knew I was with God. Then with upturned face, down which tears streamed, he said, "Oh, God!" Then for five minutes he was still again, and then when he knew he was talking to God, his arm went around my shoulder, and then came up from the depths of his heart such petitions for men as I have never heard before, and I rose from my knees to know what REAL prayer was...'

(From "Heroes of the Holy Life" by Wesley L. Duewel, pgs. 97-98)

Have a triumphant day in Jesus!

Brother Paul

2006/7/20 6:24Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: An account of praying with John Hyde

Re: Praying Hyde

Yes, Paul, I remember reading something very similar in a book I picked up years ago titled, "The Kneeling Christian". Your thread on this gentleman reminds me of Romans 8:26-27. May the Lord be glorified and honoured.....
God bless you all,
Richie

2006/7/20 6:58Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Brother Paul, I have read that somewhere before, thank you for posting it again, what a prayer warrior was this man!

Here is an account of Finney:

REMARKS OF REV. E.B. SHERWOOD, OF ST. JOSEPH, MO.

My acquaintance with Brother Finney began in June, 1835, about the time of the organization of the first theological class in this place. My impressions of him were derived more especially from his power in prayer. I thought him a great preacher, and as a man of superior logical powers; but I was chiefly impressed by him as a man who had power with God, and who had power with men because he had power with God. At the close of the last term of the year 1836, he came into the class-room, and with his great eyes looked over the class, and before he got around, his eyes were swimming with tears. After looking at us in this way a few moments, he said, "Brethren, let us pray;" and he prayed something like this: "O Lord, here is a class of young men who are going forth to preach the everlasting Gospel, and Thou knowest that their words will be like the repetition of parrots, unless Thou shalt fill them with the Holy Ghost." He poured out his soul thus for nearly half an hour, pleading with God that He would not let us go forth in our own strength, until it seemed that the whole place was filled with the presence of God. There was no disposition on the part of any of the class to rise from their knees, and the whole hour was spent in prayer to God. That, brethren, was the most profitable lesson that I ever learned, and the most profitable hour that I ever spent. We came nearer to God, we got a more exalted idea of the work of the ministry; and it was from that scene that I obtained my highest idea of President Finney. All through my acquaintance with him, it was a mystery to me where he got his mighty power, It seemed to be always gushing up, always full. That mystery was solved when I read his "Autobiography." When he was converted he was brought into the full liberty of the Gospel. It was God in him that made him so great a blessing to the world.

2006/7/20 8:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy