· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Putting the GOODNESS and GLADNESS back into the GOSPEL

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
jimp

Re:

hi robert, you have writen most of what the Spirit has been telling me for the last 24months or so. i thank you for doing it and doing it well. jimp

2006/7/20 1:17Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

[b]A MESSAGE OF MISERY[/b]

I have observed a thing under the Sun in my days and it is the destruction of beauty by two things: 1) Sin 2) Legalism. In Independence, MO where I live the city is known as the 'meth' capitol of the world. Meth is a most terrible drug, as it siezes upon the person and locks them into a most horrible devilish way. The signs are obvious, faces that were once radiant and beautiful and now sunk in and lifeless. Bodies that were once youthful are now aged well beyond their years. This is Sin and the death it brings.

I have seen another thing that has stripped folk of their natural beauty also. I recall once in the early 90's attending a family gathering of a distant relative. I knew only a few of the attendees. As with most gatherings there were a host of different people. I was a new born believer and met for the first time a certain family of 'holiness' people. They lived stict lives. This was not new to me as I came from a family that held such strict legalisms that most of them could not 'live the life' and backslid. But, I believe I saw something on this day that would change me forever. It happens that there were two teenaged daughters that were born of this holiness family. The mother had her hair in a bun and was intentionally plain and unattractive. She was at an unhealthy weight also, if I might say respectfully. The daughters were eating their meal slow and deliberate like. Small portions, etc. They were naturally beautiful girls who carried themselves in modesty and shamefacedness. At once mother enters the room and says, "girls would you like some pie or cake?" They replied, "No, thanks mom." With a look of irritation and disdain almost, as a school teacher would look over her glasses to correct a wayward student, the mother answered back, "Don''t worry, honey, when you get married- you'll eat!"

It was then that I realized something. Sometimes folk are not what they are because they are disciplined or are trying to be 'holy', they are what they are for reasons quite unbiblical. Under the [i]pretense[/i] of holiness a person would let themself go and take on an a careless and miserable look. I could not reckon with this. Was that in store for me? Was my beautiful wife going to cast off all restraint in the name of religion and sup and feast until the God given beauty was lost to a life of carelessness? "You are married now, and married folk live miserable lives!" "You are married now, no need to take care of yourself and look beautiful for your husband!" I then understood many things family members would say as a child and understood why so many people who are supposed to be emulating the Kingdom of God had plunged into ruin.

So, I made a determination. I knew I could not always look young and vibrant, but I knew I could do unto my wife as I would have her do unto me. Why? Because I felt carelessness was taking advantage of her commitment to me and to do that would be sin. I want to be as much as I can the man God wants me to be. GOD FORBID that I should take on an attitude, "Now I'm married, I don't have to care about myself any more" and then cloak that attitude in 'holiness' garb.

And this takes us to the crux of my point. So many things that get categorized as 'holy' or 'sanctimonious' are [i]not[/i] really that at all. Some things are personal 'hang-ups' people have that have nothing to do with God or the bible. People have 'personal preferences' and these become 'convictions' and soon they get preached. Some people like to be miserable. They are miserable and they are working to make a theology to promote it.

I shall close with a final story. When I was a teen I worked at a gas station (petrol station). I met many men who were married and looked miserable. They would throw their tools around and cuss. They would carry on about their miserable life at home and how the 'old lady' was such a problem. "Wait till you get married, boy!, you'll find out!" I could not possibly recount all the horror stories they would tell. What was I hearing, "I was happy till I got married"... "I was happy till I got married..."... "Don't get married.. you'll be miserable!!" It was as if marriage had been reduced to a bunch of 'do's' and 'don'ts'. What's marriage like Bill? "Well, son, let me tell you... you can't do this and you can't do that..." My wife locked me out of the house last night and I had to sleep on the porch. Gotta hurry home!

With preaching like that its a wonder anyone ever gets married. A friend of mine recently reminded me of how preachers pray, "Holy Ghost, turn the search light of heaven on and show them their sins..." He then asked, have you ever heard it prayed, "Holy Ghost, turn the search light of heaven on and show them what your PLEASED with!" No, I have not, I said. Why not? Could it be because, whether we mean to or not, we have reduced and depicted the Christian life to one of the utmost misery? With preaching like that its a wonder anyone ever gets saved.

Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GW North)

2006/7/20 8:09Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

[b]O HAPPY DAY, THAT FIXED MY CHOICE!"[/b]
Phillip Dod Dridge (1702-1751),
Published in 1755

O happy day, that fixed my choice
On Thee, my Savior and my God!
Well may this glowing heart rejoice,
And tell its raptures all abroad.

Refrain

Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away!
He taught me how to watch and pray, and live rejoicing every day Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away.

O happy bond, that seals my vows
To Him Who merits all my love!
Let cheerful anthems fill His house,
While to that sacred shrine I move.

Refrain

Tis done: the great transactions done!
I am the Lords and He is mine;
He drew me, and I followed on;
Charmed to confess the voice divine.

Refrain

Now rest, my long divided heart,
Fixed on this blissful center, rest.
Here have I found a nobler part;
Here heavenly pleasures fill my breast.

Refrain

High heaven, that heard the solemn vow,
That vow renewed shall daily hear,
Till in lifes latest hour I bow
And bless in death a bond so dear.

Refrain

Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GW North)

2006/7/20 8:20Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

[b]OVERTHROWING THE WORKS OF GOD BY EXCESSIVE CRITICISM[/b]

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge ye this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock in his brother's way, or an occasion of falling. I know, and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean of itself: save that to him who accounteth anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. For if because of meat thy brother is grieved, thou walkest no longer in love. Destroy not with thy meat him for whom Christ died. Let not then your good be evil spoken of: for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he that herein serveth Christ is well-pleasing to God, and approved of men. So then let us follow after things which make for peace, and things whereby we may edify one another. [u]Overthrow not for meat's sake the work of God[/u]. (Romans 14:13-20)

The issue at hand is that of [i]liberty of conscience[/i]. One of the dangerous things about having a group of folk always giving their opinions on topics is that invariably folks confuse [i]personal convictions[/i] with biblical mandates. By the time everyone gives their convictions there had scarce been a person left that had not been constricted into a state of [i]joylessness[/i]. Reason being is that as folk take on other folks personal convictions they part company with what God is doing in them and bring an imbalance in their life that could lead to their ruin. This works both ways. It works for 'positive' convictions and 'negative' convictions. What is tragic is that when we set at naught one another as we don't line up with each others convictions.

It is important to understand that one is not spiritual because they live the strictest life possible; one is spiritual because they follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit and the word agree. God knows how to bring a person into equilibrium spiritually. He has a unique calling for each of us and the most spiritual thing we can do is cooperate with God as He leads us into it.

Long ago I set aside the stumbling block of spiritual competitiveness. I learned that competitions of who spends the most time in prayer and in the word is nothing more than Pharisaism. It leads to prayers like;

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, [u]that I am not as the rest of men[/u], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. (Luke 18:11 ASV)

This is the heart of the Pharisee, [i]that I am not like the rest of men[/i]. Holiness is not our ability to 'out do' one another in our personal convictions, holiness is emulating the person of Jesus Christ. He was the holiest man on earth. There was nothing weird about Jesus. The striking thing is that there were actually people around who accused him of doing things they thought were 'unclean' or as we might say, 'unholy'. You eat with sinners? You don't wash your hands? Don't you know that cleanliness is next to Godliness, Jesus? What said He?

And when they saw some of His disciples eat bread with defiled (that is to say, unwashed) hands, they found fault. For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat, unless they wash their hands oft, holding to the tradition of the elders. And when they come from the market, they eat not unless they wash; and there are many other customs which they have received and hold to, as the washing of cups, pots, brazen vessels and of tables. Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, "Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?" [u]He answered and said unto them, "Well hath Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written: `This people honoreth Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me.[/u] Therefore, in vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.' (Mark 7)

This is man trying to make themselves 'holier' by traditions. Again, spirituality is based not on these outward things but on our fulfillment of the plan of God for our life. Imagine how these Pharisees challenged the Holiest man on earth? Now if the Pharisees wanted to wash and wash and keep this between them and God that would have been fine, but that is not what men do. Once they sense they are going above and beyond 'other men' they are swift to make it a new law and attempt to enforce it upon others.

Dr. Aaron Wilson author of [i]Basic Bible Truth[/i] once made a statement in a sermon that at the time really upset me. He said to the effect, "It is [u]NOT[/u] your job to play the Holy Spirit and clean people up- that is the Holy Spirit's role." I began to get figity in the seat as if to say, "How dare he tell me that?!" Surely it IS my job to clean folk up! They need to be HOLY. What I did not realize is that God brings folk along step by step and areas that I might be worried about God was not at all concerned about at the time. What a mess I could have made of [i] the work of God[/i]. Not my work, [i]the work of God[/i]. This is HIS work. He, is the author of eternal salvation. My legalistic mind was unable to see the working of the Holy Spirit and His prerogative in the work. I wanted them straitened out NOW and in my order.

I thank God that He limited the people who 'input' into my life when I first came to Christ. My life was a complete mess. It was in such shambles that [i]one wrong move[/i] and the whole thing could have collapsed. The Holy Spirit persuaded me of my error one part at a time and worked these things out in me. And this is where Finney and I are increasingly parting company in our views of God dealing with convicted sinners. It is God's prerogative to bring up before the mind and heart that point of contention that He wants to deal with at the time. He has a controversy and He will point it out. What point would it make to list out such a list of christian perfection for a person to repent up to and line up with in order to be saved? God will change the nature of the person and empower them for sanctification. We must not destroy the work of God by userping the authority of the Holy Spirit.

2006/7/21 9:02Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

[b]A 'BOOK OF ACTS' REVIVAL[/b]

Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word. Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. (Acts 8:4-6)

Philip seemed to be content staying at home ministering to the local crowd when all the sudden Saul of Tarsus commenced going from house to house macking havock of the church (8:3). A local minister once said, "When the man of God won't move, sometimes, [u]God[/u] will move him." Saul, breathing out threatenings and slaughter, going from house to house arresting and imprisoning folk, merely scattered a nest of on-fire believers.

Yes, Philip was heeding the call. He had preached in Judea and now it was Samaria's turn. No doubt the Finger of God was with him, [i]For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed [with them]: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.[/i] Many folk in our time need just that; they need the devil cast out of them. Philip arrived in Samaria with such an arrival that the devil had to step back because the power of God was manifest in that place (D.L. Burch). Folk had not seen such a demonstration of authority since the Lord Himself had cast devil's out.

And the results? [i]And there was great joy in that city.[/i] Here was a people that [i]with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.[/i] When the finger of God is near, the cooperation of the people is not far off. These people were ready to hear and do what the man of God had to say.

Simon the Sorcerer had met his match. He had bewitched the people until they actually believed he was the oracle of god. He had these people deceived from the least unto the greatest. That means from the slave to the highest eschelon's of government the people had been 'giving heed' to this man. But he saw his tenure fading and fading fast. When Philip opened his mouth the power of God manifest and men and devil were subject to the word of God.

But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. (12, 13)

If the passage said he believed, I think it safe to say he [i]believed[/i]. Not only did he believe, he was baptized. Yet, here is a man that was not changed in spite of his confession and baptism. You see there was something to this laying on of hands that he thought to purchase with money. This man understood power and he was witnessing something taking place that he felt worth trading off his business and starting up a new. Here was a man that had bewitched a city from the least to the greatest and yet, he wanted to purchase this 'power' that when he laid hands on folk they would receive the Holy Ghost.

Peter gives us insight into his covetous ways; [i]But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. (20, 21)[/i] The gift of the Holy Spirit was [i]free[/i] and yet this man, perhaps wondered, "How much could I charge per person for them to receive this Holy Spirit?" Notice he saw something in this 'laying on of hands' that he knew was special. His error was to think he could make merchandise of it. Merchandise of what? Would Simon offer us money for what we profess we have? I think this is a powerful insight into understanding the magnitude and effect the receiving of the Holy Spirit had on folk in the Book of Acts.

2006/7/21 20:35Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
When the Gospel comes-off as 'bad news' someone is not doing their job.

This is a great series brother! We need to warn some but also simply tell of the good news to some. I was sitting on the beach today with so many crowds of people all around me. And was reading the bible and read at Ephesians Chapter 2: "who were dead in trespasses and sins." those people around me that did not know Christ were DEAD not simply in sinful habits or harmless unbelief in their life but were DEAD totally without life and any saving virtue! I spent a good time of prayer for all the people to come to life and know their condition and come to God.

I was reading in Philpot earlier:
"Unbelief reigns and rules in the hearts of the reprobate." It does not just plague them in their simple not believing in God and His Christ but rather they are controlled and are in bondage, in slavery to their UNBELIEF!

[b]FEATURED ARTICLE: Peculiar People by Joseph Philpot... [/b]
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11423&forum=34

“If Christians around the world were to suddenly renounce their personal agendas, their life goals and their aspirations, and begin responding in radical obedience to everything God showed them. the world would be turned upside down. How do we know? Because that's what first century Christians did, and the world is still talking about it.” - Henry Blackaby

2006/7/21 20:47Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

[b]LED OF THE SPIRIT LEADS TO CONVERSION[/b]

And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

Philip had gone into the villages and ministered and now he was waiting on his next assignment. It's been said that when God speaks and sends us some place we ought to stay until we receive [i]fresh orders from God[/i]. What's the use in looking around at inaction when God's next great design is right around the corner. Imagine if Philip had grown weary in well doing and stepped OUT of the perfect will of God at this moment. I had a Sunday School teacher tell me once concerning life changes, "When you don't know what to do- don't do anything." It may not be true 100% of the time, but it's good wisdom most of the time.

Philip arose when he heard from God. God had been working on a man leading him step by step towards Himself and Philip was about to be sent to the scene of the plan.[i] And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship...[/i] There are not many mighty and noble saved, but this man was one of the few. He exercised great influence and it can be deduced had tremendous resources with which to aid in the work.

[i]Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. And Philip ran thither to [him], and heard him read the prophet Esaias,...[/i] I can almost [u]see[/u] the BOLDNESS of Philip as he approached this dignitary.[i]Understandest thou what thou readest?[/i] And the man, right at the point and time God had worked out, his heart having been prepared to receive the word [i]said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.[/i]

This is a picture of the importance of being sensitive to the Holy Spirit. God knows who He is working on and where they are at in that work. He knows who is ready to receive the word. Sometimes there are other purposes involved so this is not a rule, but it is certain that a great many times God would work just like this if we would be sensitive to the Spirit.

The results? [i]Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on [their] way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?[/i] (35, 36) This is a man that has become assertive in his obedience. His belief was at such a level that the time was NOW;[i]what doth hinder me to be baptized?[/i] And here is where our theology gets all messed up. Surely Philip told him he needed to confess all his sins? Surely this man had to be broken down? What happened next? [i]And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.[/i] What was Philip's prerequisite for water baptism?

I dare not presume, but we are left to believe that this man likewise received the Holy Spirit at baptism. [i]And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.[/i]

This is revelation, power, and obedience in [i]symphonic equilibrium[/i]. Before it was over the persecution from house to house had led to revival from city to city.

2006/7/21 21:01Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

[b]LIVING IN DENIAL[/b]

And the people with one accord [u]gave heed[/u] unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. (Acts 8:6)

The word we have for 'gave heed' is the Greek [i]Prosecho[/i] which in this construction meant they were 'spell bound' by the word. [i]They kept on giving heed or holding the mind on the things said by Philip, spell-bound, in a word. [/i] (Robertson's) When the Finger of God is near the words of the Lord's messenger take on a whole new effect. This was not a take it or leave it type message. This was a message that carried Divine Authority in a way we rarely see in our times.

When Jesus came preaching He was setting forth a message that was quite contrary to what the people had been taught by their accestors. Over time, the message of Moses and the Prophets had suffered greatly. The Old Covenant was birthed in the Fires of God's Holy Spirit. God was speaking on the right hand and the left. There was evidence of His presence during the sojourn in the Wilderness and during the days of the Kings, His prophets were never far off. But something happened tragically and folk began to see religion as something all together different than before.

No more was this true than when the Jews went 400 years without a prophetic voice. The scribes and Pharisees arose and soon adopted a religion that could subsist apart from God's Holy Spirit. They 'competed' with one-another to see who could be the most pious looking and acting. They disfigured their faces when they fasted and would hurl their coins into the offering receptor making a most raucous of a sound; Jesus called this, "sounding the trumpet." (Matthew 6:2) This competition was certainly a stinch in the nostrils of God. The greatest evidence of God's displeasure was their lack of unction.

God will [i]back[/i] His message, He will not back ours. God will anoint His agenda, but He will not anoint ours. God will move when we are ready to [i]give heed unto the word.[/i] The Pharisees had already written the word's of our Lord off even before He spoke them. Why? Because their purpose was to maintain a pious look. They wanted the people underneath them in terms of spiritual things. So they made a show of all they did and kept a record of their pious deeds and sufferings.

A lot is said about 'confession'. Charismatics talk about confessing the word and yet others talk about confessing sin. One word for confession is [i]exomologeo.[/i] This word means to confess joyfully. It has a hint of a [i]public[/i] acknowledgement. This is what many did in the New Testament at repentance (Matthew 3:6, Mark 1:5, Acts 19:18); yet we also have this as a directive coming from James in 5:16;

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Not [u]to[/u] a priest or a pastor, but when appropriate, 'one to another'. To confess is to [i]say the same thing as[/i] or to make an 'admission'. The word 'faults' is [i]Paraptoma[/i] and means to slip off the right path. The purpose of the confession is for prayer and healing. This is something the Pharisee's would have never done. They would not admit their faults. They had to maintain an image of perfection.

Lets look again at the word 'confess'. This is found also in I John 1:9 and likewise means to 'acknowledge' or to 'say the same thing after'. God's says this and that and we say this and that. This is a coming into open unabashed agreement with the truth of God's word. We may be embarassed that we did not line up with what God said, but we willingly and openly acknowedge the truth no matter how that truth casts us in our own eyes or the eyes of others. If God says, "YE have sinned against Me" the right 'confession' would be, "Indeed, I have sinned against Thee." Not making excuses and not changing the standard. No pointing fingers. This is almost a "repeat after me type thing..." it is not whitewashing or anything else. It is FULL ON acknowledgment of what we have done. No believer is above this truth.

Many years ago I was involved in a Federal Lawsuit in which a corporation had franchised to a local company their name and trademark for the sale of their product and that 'company' had been caught red handed allowing illegal activities to be done by its employees. The corporation was concerned for its reputation as the events were spread all over the news and the company name was at stake. There was mounted evidence that the company was guilty. Eyewitness testimony, video taped activities, etc. having been subpeonaed myself, I had to ask the investigator a troubling question. I asked him, "With all of this evidence before us- why does the company keep fighting this and asserting their innocence." His answer, "Its an age old problem known as [u]denial[/u]."

Denial is a psyclogical defense mechanism that comes into play when a person cannot come to terms with the results of a truth and refuse to allow it to come into their consciousness. It's a mental block. The admission will have consequences- so they maintain a state of denial. What did God require for His forgiving us? That we acknowledge our sin. Its hard to do this when your making excuses. Its hard to do this and point the finger at others.

The PRESSURE to act like nothing is wrong when there are clear shortcomings is incredible at times. I think about John Wayne and how he always had to come off as if he had it all together. Many think they are spiritual John Wayne's. They are struggling and will not admit it for one reason or another. Everything they do has a stamp of perfection. What is even more sad is that preachers will ask folk to come forward and repent of their sins and yet they will not acknowledge their own side slips. This is a terrible tragedy. Soon, without the power of a 'Church Authority' another type of authority is jockied for. This is what the Pharisees did, they 'lorded' their piety over the people.

Denial is the great enemy of healing. Just yesterday a man checked into the hospital in our city with his legs BLACK from the knees down. He has diabetes and the legs are going to be lost. What is worse is that they don't know if he will survive the surgery because the kidneys are failing now. He needs prayer for sure. He needed prayer a [u]long time ago[/u]! And so it is with many who stay in denial until a CRISIS arises. I'm OK, I'm OK. Are you really? [i]Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.[/i]

2006/7/22 10:43Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
When the Gospel comes-off as 'bad news' someone is not doing their job.

I had another thought along this line. If the Good News is preached as [i]Good[/i] News and it is received as 'bad news' the hearer is a pure pyromaniac. I'm reminded of Leonard Ravenhill's story of Charley Peace and how if he said that if one had truly believed in hell, one could crawl on broken glass across England to save just one soul and it would be a noble deed. Truly the Gospel is 'Good News' to anyone with a sober mind.

2006/7/22 11:32Profile
markm

Re:

Quote:
I'm OK, I'm OK. Are you really?

Lord, help me to recognize the symptoms of denial in my life sooner.

2006/7/22 15:22Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy