SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : A LETTER, FROM THE REV. MOSES HOGE, DATED SEPT. 10, 1801.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 A LETTER, FROM THE REV. MOSES HOGE, DATED SEPT. 10, 1801.

[b]/53/ 26. OF A LETTER, FROM THE REV. MOSES HOGE, OF SHEPHERD'S TOWN, TO THE REV. DR. ASHBEL GREEN, OF THIS CITY, DATED SEPT. 10, 1801.[/b]

Rev. and dear Sir,

"I lately received a letter from a worthy clergyman in Kentucky, giving a more circumstantial account of the revival which has lately taken place there than I had before seen. From the particular interest which you take in occurrences of this nature, I am induced to think that the following extract will not be unacceptable.

"The revivals of religion in this country are really novel in our church, and so violent and imposing in their nature and appearances that I know not what to say or think. -- In two neighbouring congregations, good appearances were observed through the last spring. And now the Tennessee whirlwind has broke out among them, and seems to shake every thing before it. In the two last Lord's days there were sacraments in each place: at one I was present. -- In time of preaching, if care is taken, there is but little confusion: and when that is over, and the singing, and praying, and exhorting begins, the audience is thrown into what I call real disorder. The careless fall down, cry out, tremble, and not infrequently are affected with convulsive twitchings. Among these the pious are very busy, singing, praying, conversing, falling down in extacies, fainting with joy, exhorting sinners, combating opposers, &c. Those who fall, lie some a longer, some a shorter time. Some get comfort, some do not when first down, when one gets through (it is their own phrase,) that is, obtains relief, the shout is raised glory to God for a new born soul. And the holy embrace follows. Whole nights are spent in this way, and that part of the day which is not employed in divine service. For they stayed upon the ground in both places all the days of the solemnity. Nothing that imagination can paint, can make a stronger impression on the mind, than one of those scenes. Sinners dropping down on every hand, shrieking, groaning, crying for mercy, convulsed; professors praying, /54/ agonizing, falling down in distress, for sinners or in raptures of joy! Some singing, some shouting, clapping their hands, hugging and even kissing, laughing; others talking to the distressed, to one another, or to opposers of the work, and all this at once. -- No spectacle can excite a stronger sensation. And with what is doing, the darkness of the night, the solemnity of the place, and of the occasions, and conscious guilt, all conspire to make terror thrill through every power of the soul, and rouse it to awful attention. -- As to the work in general there can be no question but it is of God. The subjects of it, for the most part are deeply wounded for their sins, and can give a clear and rational account of their conversion. A number, too, are wrought upon in the usual way, and hopefully get religion without any of these extraordinary appearances. There is, however something curious in this falling down. I am told by the subjects of it that a tremulous benumbing sensation seizes the extremities, particularly the fingers, which rapidly spreads through the system, the knees become feeble, the heart violently compressed and the person drops to the ground."

I am yours,
M.H.

2006/7/17 2:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy