Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do not revile the gods

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Do not revile the gods

"Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people."

When Paul the Apostle was brought before the Jewish council, the High Priest had him struck on the mouth after he said he had lived in good conscience before God. Perhaps surprisingly though, Paul rebuked him(though he did not know who he was) using, it would appear, the language of our Lord, calling him a

Quote:
whited wall

But, when paul realised who he had spoken too he said

Quote:
I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people

I am finding more and more in my efforts to share the Gospel, this very sort of thing in the mouths of the people I speak with. If not railing against the government or the president then it may be some corporation, or all of them.

I wonder if others are noticing this. And I wonder if we are all carefull concerning our own words in this regard. I have in the past spoken foolishly concerning our leaders.

Whether it is correct to render our text 'gods' or 'God' or simply 'judges' is there not a certain rebuke against God Himself in a curse against man? The scripture also says, for instance

Quote:
Whoso mocketh the poor reproacheth his Maker

Some thoughts.

2006/7/16 21:52Profile
BRudel

USA-West/mountain state

Re: Do not revile the gods

Hear, hear!

Though I am guilty of this very trespass, I am aware of and struggling to control this giant tongue that I have.

Bro. Chris, thank you for bringing into focus the unrighteous glorying of my flesh.

Let the Lord of Hosts be Glorified and Him only.

Regards,
-Brudel

2006/7/16 23:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Do not revile the gods

Quote:
Some thoughts.

Good thoughts!

2006/7/18 14:10Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I am finding more and more in my efforts to share the Gospel, this very sort of thing in the mouths of the people I speak with. If not railing against the government or the president then it may be some corporation, or all of them.

[u]I wonder if others are noticing this. [/u]And I wonder if we are all carefull concerning our own words in this regard. I have in the past spoken foolishly concerning our leaders.

I have seen this happen in sermons in the past. Most of the time the minister asserts their authority as 'preacher' or 'prophet' in order to justify such actions. I think it is all a larger part of the whole problem with lots of 'prophets' running around. You would think folk think this is the Old Testament or something 10,000 times over.

I have heard folk saying crazy things about the Devil before and it made me cringe. What does the scripture say?

But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord. But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

There is also a danger, I think, in a constant attitude of wanting to revile the Church. There are ways to deal with things and reviling is not one of them. The Church is the Bride, the Lamb's wife. Many such statements of disdain and contempt, do they please the Lord?

2006/7/18 14:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy