SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : WW3 is on?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

WW3 is on?

brethren
i found his on netscapenews and felt led to share. we ought to start (if we're not already) looking at events from our Lord's perspective so see how they fit into His plan and do our part.

Columnists

Nicole Brodeur

Danny Westneat

Sherry Grindeland

Inside The Times

Here and Now

Nation / World

Business / Tech

Editorials / Opinion

Columnists

Sports

Entertainment

Comics / Games

Living

Pacific Northwest Magazine

Travel / Outdoors

Real estate

Obituaries

Special reports

Photography

Corrections

Archive

Alerts / E-mails

Marketplace

Jobs

Autos

Homes

Rentals

Classifieds

Shopping

NWsource

Personals

Post an ad

Services

Your account

Contact us

Submit listings

Send us news tips

Seattle Times store

Advertise with us

RSS feeds

Wireless

Newspapers In Education

Home delivery

David Postman has covered politics and government for The Seattle Times since 1994. He's a frequent guest on radio and television, and previously covered politics for The News Tribune in Tacoma, the Anchorage Daily News and Alaska Public Radio Network. He also writes a column every Friday.
July 15, 2006

Gingrich says it's World War III

Posted by David Postman at 12:54 PM

Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich says America is in World War III and President Bush should say so. In an interview in Bellevue this morning Gingrich said Bush should call a joint session of Congress the first week of September and talk about global military conflicts in much starker terms than have been heard from the president.

"We need to have the militancy that says 'We're not going to lose a city,' " Gingrich said. He talks about the need to recognize World War III as important for military strategy and political strategy.

Gingrich said he is "very worried" about Republican's facing fall elections and says the party must have the "nerve" to nationalize the elections and make the 2006 campaigns about a liberal Democratic agenda rather than about President Bush's record.

Gingrich says that as of now Republicans "are sailing into the wind" in congressional campaigns. He said that's in part because of the Iraq war, adding, "Iraq is hard and painful and we do not explain it very well."

But some of it is due to Republicans' congressional agenda. He said House and Senate Republicans "forgot the core principle" of the party and embraced Congressional pork. "Some of the guys," he said, have come down with a case of "incumbentitis."

Gingrich said in the coming days he plans to speak out publicly, and to the Administration, about the need to recognize that America is in World War III.

He lists wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, this week's bomb attacks in India, North Korean nuclear threats, terrorist arrests and investigations in Florida, Canada and Britain, and violence in Israel and Lebanon as evidence of World War III. He said Bush needs to deliver a speech to Congress and "connect all the dots" for Americans.

He said the reluctance to put those pieces together and see one global conflict is hurting America's interests. He said people, including some in the Bush Administration, who urge a restrained response from Israel are wrong "because they haven't crossed the bridge of realizing this is a war."

"This is World War III," Gingrich said. And once that's accepted, he said calls for restraint would fall away:

"Israel wouldn't leave southern Lebanon as long as there was a single missile there. I would go in and clean them all out and I would announce that any Iranian airplane trying to bring missiles to re-supply them would be shot down. This idea that we have this one-sided war where the other team gets to plan how to kill us and we get to talk, is nuts."

There is a public relations value, too. Gingrich said that public opinion can change "the minute you use the language" of World War III. The message then, he said, is "'OK, if we're in the third world war, which side do you think should win?"

An historian, Gingrich said he has been studying recently how Abraham Lincoln talked to Americans about the Civil War, and what turned out to be a much longer and deadlier war than Lincoln expected.

Gingrich is here for fund raisers for Congressman Dave Reichert, 2nd District GOP challenger Doug Roulstone, and the state party. I talked to him in a hotel suite with a few of his and Reichert's staff.

Any time his name comes up here it's said that he once called Washington state "ground zero for the Republican revolution." Republicans saw huge gains in Washington in the 1994 mid-term elections, though they have largely decayed away.

"I think there is a reform oriented populism that is a key a component of Washington State's, if you will, culture or personality," he said. Voters here also got caught up in the national, anti-incumbent, anti-Democratic wave. The other thing that was different here, he said, was "that there was no place in America where talk radio was more enthusiastically favorable to the idea that it was time to try something new."

(Speaking of talk radio, waiting to go in to see Gingrich as I was leaving were KVI's John Carlson and Kirby Wilbur and William Maurer, an attorney with the Institute for Justice who has been backing the talk show hosts in the legal challenge against their on-air championing of an anti-tax initiative.)

With Republicans in control of Washington, D.C., it's Democrats who this year are hoping for a reform wave to sweep them into office. Democrats want to nationalize the election and make each congressional race about Bush, the Iraq war and the Republican agenda. Republicans have been trying to localize each race, as in Reichert's challenge from political newcomer Darcy Burner, and make the race about the qualifications and personalities of the candidates, not about a national agenda.

Gingrich says that's a mistake. Republicans, he says, should nationalize the contest, too. He said that yesterday he saw polling that gave him some optimism for the first time about this year's elections. He didn't say what state it was from, but it showed that Democratic incumbents' poll numbers crashed when tagged with the record of House Democrats.

He said that as Democrats make the elections about George Bush, Republicans should make it about House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco. He said voters need to be told "how weirdly San Francisco these guys are voting" and Democrats will "collapse in defeat."

"The line I think every Republican should use is, 'X knows their record, they just hope you don't,' which is actually the line I used in my winning race in '78. I'm a historian. I don't do anything new. I just imitate. I guarantee you there are 60 or 70 Democrats, if their districts thoroughly understood their record, they'd lose this year even though people aren't happy with Bush. Because people aren't suicidal. ..."

"While people understand that while they may be irritated with Republicans, we at least broadly share their values and visions and the left is just out of touch with reality. I think then you have a totally different debate by October, if we have the nerve to do it. ... There's going to be a national conversation in October. The only question is whether it's the Republicans defining it or whether we have some nutty idea that we can run local races, and so the entire definition is on the left."

UPDATE: I tried to get a comment today from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee but no one ever got back to me. This evening, Kelly Steele, spokesman for the state party, did respond and sent this e-mail:

This is classic - that Gingrich's solution to Bush's failed leadership is a different "marketing strategy" shows the true extent to which Republicans cannot be trusted to win the war on terror. Democrats believe we need a "tough and smart" strategy that makes 2006 a year of transition in Iraq and aggressively takes the fight to the terrorists, while Gingrich and Bush seek to elect a new crop of loyal rubberstamps - McGavick, Reichert, and Roulstone included - to blindly support and extend their monopoly on their "tough and dumb" conduct of the war in Iraq and the larger battle against global terrorism.

here is the link

http://politics.netscape.com/...

2006/7/16 13:34Profile

Re: WW3 is on?

Dear IRONMAN,
as I am a Jew who follows Jesus I'm in grief and constant prayer,

I'm in grief because I know what the IDF has to do now.

In church this morning I couldn't listen to the pastor's personal applicative sermon, I love the man, but it was a feel good message tailored for a group of twenty to thirty something's whose focus is me,me me, instead of the looming battle, and river of blood.

I have to be somewhere soon, but i wish to post more on this topic.

I want to say this, I thank God that Newt Gingrich is OUT of power. I will tell you this, I have talked to Democratic politicians, and have told them that the Republicans haven't been real in explaining to the America people why we are in Iraq, and to destroy this myth that the Republican party is the party of national security and we should tell the people that Iraq is Britain and Tehran is Berlin.

I don't know if the Democrats will do that, the Republicans have NOT explained WHY we are in Iraq, and the reason is that Iraq is a staging post for the coming war in Iran.

But it seems that the Israeli Defense Forces, small and outnumbered will have to destroy the Hezboallah in Lebanon and Syria, and to destroy the military infrastructure in Iran.

As I sat weeping in church with those all were around me smiling I opened the Bible and I came to 2 Samuel 6, 7 and 8 and I read, and I prayed.

If we in America are to get real about the coming war, we better start getting past this partisan bickering.

Israel faces a just war, a war of national survival, and my prayer is that they destroy and vanguish the vast horde set out before them.

In my spirit, I feel that Newt Gingrich is just a harlot partisan poltician trying to set gain for his party and his friends.

I am America by birth, a Jew by faith and a follower of Jesus by Grace, and my brothers and sisters in Israel are in grave grave danger. Forgive me if my denunciation of Ex-congressman Gingrich is harsh, his talk is imprudent. You don't take out a gun, wave it around and shout that you're gonna shoot somebody. When you take out a gun, you don't say a word, you just shoot.

That, along with the Favor of Yahweh is why the IDF has always won their wars.

God bless you and forgive me if I offended you by my harsh sppech.

2006/7/16 15:15
Compton

Re:

(Edit: I made a useless comment about the situation...but then realized I would have done better to stay in prayer for this nation, it's leaders, and it's Church.)

MC

2006/7/16 16:58Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro Bartle
i think most people feel that the republican administration haven't been very candid about a lot of things. in this day of puffing up of self, a lot of things are said by politicians for their gain also.

Quote:
Israel faces a just war, a war of national survival, and my prayer is that they destroy and vanguish the vast horde set out before them.

our Lord showed me that Israel will prevail because He is going to step in as in the days of old. however Israel as a nation has much to repent of and He Himself is going to bring your people to repentance and it's going to require a destruction of the nation is Israel as it is now and a restoration of Israel as it was in the days of old.

i'm not offended by what you said about newt gingrich. i look at all men as instruments of our Lord being used to work out His plan.

Quote:
I am America by birth, a Jew by faith and a follower of Jesus by Grace, and my brothers and sisters in Israel are in grave grave danger. Forgive me if my denunciation of Ex-congressman Gingrich is harsh, his talk is imprudent. You don't take out a gun, wave it around and shout that you're gonna shoot somebody. When you take out a gun, you don't say a word, you just shoot.

That, along with the Favor of Yahweh is why the IDF has always won their wars

i think it no accident that said this as you did, citing the initial cause of the IDF's success on not saying anything but shooting and then mentioning God's favour as secondary to that in the IDF's success. it should be because of God's grace solely. God will not share His glory with anyone...and Israel must return to a place where God's grace is all things and not her efforts which come from her own strength. This also applies to us in our lives that we ought to lean on God's grace solely and not our own abilities because they are not sufficient for the lofty purposes of a Holy God.

2006/7/16 17:09Profile
WorldView

Davao, Philippines

Re:

Yes I believe that the Lord will step in and prevail.

What we often fail to realized is that the natural realm is affected by the spirit realm. Therefore we as children of the Most High God should utilize our spiritual authority and change the situation.

We as Christians can do more than any President or nation can. We can overcome the very demonic forces that attemp to manipulate the minds of man.

Hundreds of years ago the Queen of Scottland said that she would rather hear that England has landed on the shores of her country ready to invade than to hear that John Knox was on his knees in prayer.

She knew that John Knox's prayers could do more than all of the armies of England could. And so can our prayers be more effective than the combined armies of America and all of her allies

2006/7/16 22:15Profile

Re: Dear Brother Ironman

please don't read anything into the way I constructed that sentence with the gun metaphor, as far as the placement of the Favor of Yahweh in a percieved secondary position.

God is the Giver of all gifts, He gave our Jewish brothers and sisters a homeland back again, after we had been whipped and scourged thru the ovens of Hitler, he gave us the courage and the minds to constantly outfight and outwit an enemy both superior in numbers and arms, and God willing He will do it again.

The Covenant he made with Israel stands forever, that is said in His Word and His people will be returned to Messiah Jesus. Some will tell you the church has replaced Israel, not so, all the nations have been grafted into the Vine, praise the Lord Jesus for that.

THere is a remnant in Israel that KNOWS the strength of Israel is from the Lord....

as far as this nationstate of Israel being destroyed, I don't think anyone knows what God has in Mind to do. I pray they prevail, to this Jew the whole situation is grievous, and far worse than its ever been. I pray my people Israel come to know Messiah, as I have.

Most of modern day Israel is secular and follows other gods,money buddha, new ageism but that is no different from the days of when the prophet Jeremiah by the Grace of God penned the 31st chapter of his prophecy.

Our nation, regrettably is no different either, "American Idol"??? the most watched show in the land....a trip to the checkout aisle in the grocery stores is horrendous,the foul gossip and fleshly self worship magazines that fill the shelves and the very fact that this nation was birthed by the writing of a wonderful wonderous Constitution that spoke of freedom for all, all the while Africans were enslaved in a holocaust that has really never been adaquately documented, AND we as a nation have never REALLY repented for that sin we visited upon a whole race of people, the bitter fruit we witness in the dysfunctionality of whole segments of the urban Afican-American community.

But this I know, our God, yours and mine, is a God of reconciliation and restoration, and I know that we, you and me, share with our black brothers and sisters, and those other Israelites the Glory of being Children of Abraham, the father of the faith, and co-heirs with Christ.

I know we use the term "Christian" or "Jew", and that there are white men, and black men and Chinese men, and that there is "Lutheran", and "Methodists", "Pentecostals" and "Baptists","Anabaptists", "Southern Baptists", but in reality we are children of Abraham, because God told us that He sent His Son Jesus to be the final atonement offering, and WE BELIEVED GOD, didnt we?
the depth and width and the length of the Love of God, the Love of Messiah, the Love of Christ.

I know I digress, maybe to the point of tedium, but I must testify as to my heart. There must come a day when we, as the Church, the Body of Christ in America, must repent to our African-American brothers and sister for the sin we afflicted upon them.

We must be deliberate in this, before I left dear pastor Kevin today, I suggested to him that we, mostly a white church, seek out a black church, and seek to join with them IN SPIRIT in worship and love of Christ.

I don't know what that looks like or how it plays out, but I feel in my spirit that this is something to ponder and pray on.

America is a great nation, but we must seek to repent of this sin and hypocrisy we were birthed into, and I'll tell you why:

we face an enemy, radical islam, that is intent on killing us as a nation, and we best put our own house in order, before we really sally forth to face off against them.

I do KNOW that radical islamists are just virulently demonic, deadly and murderous. a trip to memritv.org and the spew and poison I saw these mullahs vomiting forth made me sick. No loving God would ever countenance such evil murder and violence. To encourage youth to strap explosives or nukes on themselves and murder others is anti-christ in spirit and deed.

My heart is so heavy, because the days ahead are getting darker, and I myself am a most unworthy messenger of the Good News of Messiah, and I pray that God fill me more deeply with His Holy Spirit.

Brother, if got this far in this unwieldy post I thank you for hearing my heart, and I beg to pray for peace, pray for me, and to pray that Our Fathers Will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

May the Lord bless you is my prayer, bartle

2006/7/17 1:42
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: WW3 is on?

Quote:

WW3 is on?

Not yet, but coming soon to a "theatre" near you.

2006/7/17 4:55Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Brother Bartle, I understand you very well. Sermonindex, we would do well to take serious note of what our Jewish brother's heart is crying.

2006/7/17 8:51Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: a serious question

Hi everyone.

Even though this is a digression from the topic, I do not want to pass over this opportunity to speak to this issue as it is something which I have thought to bring up before.

Bartle,

Quote:
...AND we as a nation have never REALLY repented for that sin we visited upon a whole race of people, the bitter fruit we witness in the dysfunctionality of whole segments of the urban Afican-American community.

I have had these same thoughts. And I have wondered also if the conditions in these communities are not indeed related to this sin and shame not being acknowledged and confessed on behalf of our nation as a whole.

Quote:
There must come a day when we, as the Church, the Body of Christ in America, must repent to our African-American brothers and sister for the sin we afflicted upon them.

I believe it is true. This segment of our population is in so many ways so utterly wasted by all manner of sin and bondage and I can not help but feel that they yet languish in this condition partly because of the sins of our past, both theirs and ours.

Is it possible that Sunday morning could yet be the most segregated hour in America? Is this not a disgrace?

All this, with our enemies such as they are, and we are a people very much divided, and is it not our own fault?

Sad indeed.

2006/7/17 17:43Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Is it possible that Sunday morning could yet be the most segregated hour in America? Is this not a disgrace?

I'm not sure if we talk about segregation in a productive manner, as much as a provacative one. Some churches are well racially mixed and rather casual about it to boot! Others I know, of different racial majorities, would welcome more integration with open arms. That is to say, naked racism is not the real dividing force that causes American churches to appear exclusory.

We are a nation of micro-politics and individual economic interests, and often our church communities and even theologies reflect these fractions. The many slices correspond to race but can also cut across racial boundaries. Our social-political divisions do not neatly follow Caucasian, African American, Asian American, Hispanic Americans and Jewish American categories. (Broad strokes to be sure...)If we look closer, I think we'll see it's politics and, to some degree, economic interests more then simple 'race' that disconnects and dissociates people.

If most churches would welcome other races then why don't we see more integration? I can only ask, whose duty is it to leave their comfortable church communities, which are reflections of their social cultures, theological aspirations and personal interests, in order to worship elsewhere to achieve integration measured by skin pigment only? (A division that is perhaps overrated because perhaps it is 'visible'.)

Just some thoughts from the midwest...

MC

2006/7/17 20:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy